Egyptair Business Class Barcelona to Bangkok via Madrid

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 50 total)

• Anonymous

Hktbound
    Participant

Egyptair Barcelona to Bangkok via Cairo Business Class

After avoiding this airline due to bad reviews and travelling on this route many times with different carriers I was finally tempted by the fantastic prices which represent a minimum of a 30% saving but usually a lot more.

I wanted to write a fair and comprehensive review, good or bad after my journey.

Both flights arrived ahead of schedule. The short haul services into Cairo were on a 737 with a large business class, the usual middle seat not used although in our case we were the only passengers in the whole business cabin. The seat is wide on a 2 and 2 configuration with good leg room.

The was a small in seat TV with AVOD, the system is old and the choices very limited but it’s fine for a 4 hour flight.

A pre departure fruit juice was offered with English language newspapers.

The food was similar to that of a good economy flight but not to Asian or European standards, there are no menu cards and as Egyptair is a dry airline no alcohol and a fairly limited drinks selection.

We arrived 30 minutes ahead of schedule and our bags were checked through to our final destination so we went straight to the transfer desk.

The airport was quiet but we experienced none of the bad experiences that we have read about Cairo Airport and the security process. At the transfer desk we were given a lounge pass which was basic but acceptable.  

There is a bar / restaurant in the public area of the terminal where you can buy alcoholic drinks which are not available elsewhere.

The Cairo to Bangkok boarded early and was on Egyptairs flagship 777-300ER.

Although I understand that this is not typical Egyptair long haul if you are lucky enough to be in the business cabin it is very pleasant.

The seats are configured 2-2-2 and the leg pitch is one of the largest I have experienced and although not very wide the bed is lie flat, not angle flat like so many airlines.

The AVOD is better with a wider choice of entertainment and the service was acceptable.

The  flight had small delays due to baggage but we still arrived 15 minutes ahead of schedule.

The food, as on the short haul, was served at the seat by sight, not by menu, this time the food was very nice, three choices with mains and deserts served separately.

After a nights sleep which was much better than expected we were woken for breakfast 90 minutes prior to landing. The breakfast was disappointing but was at least hot.

Overall, I found Egyptair to be great value for money, the standards are not as high as other star alliance carriers and the food needs improvement. The punctuality of our flights were excellent and  if you are looking for a way to get from A to B in Business Class at a discounted price it’s an alternative that can be seriously considered, especially if your trip includes Bangkok or Guangzhou which is served by the new 777 equipment.

Thank you for this really useful review!

I have been seriously considering Egyptair, purely as a cheap business-class alternative to get from London to Guangzhou, without the frills of the 4/5-star airlines that you pay extra for.

Not really worried about the disappointing food (I will probably be asleep anyway) or the lie-flat beds; I’m more interested in getting from A to B as long as I have a bit of space around my seat without getting cramped for long hours. Definitely an improvement from Economy Class I guess….

Swissdiver
    Participant

Thanks for this. I am regularly flying GVA-CAI (B737-800) and fully agree with your comments regarding their business class. It is a better one than most of the European airline on single aisle planes. That said, didn’t try longer. May-be one day 🙂

Hktbound
    Participant

Further to previous posting am happy to confirm that full star alliance mileage (in my case JK) was posted automatically, despite poor experiences found by other travellers.

Still have the return legs but so far so good.

EuroBiz
    Participant

MartynSinclair
    Participant

If it had not been for an awards redemption with BA, I would have been using Egyptair ex London for a trip to BKK. There is a very enthusiatic Egyptair poster who has persuaded me to try the airline. If you time your flights correctly out of London you can enjoy the enhanced business class on both legs.

This was a good report, many thanks.

Tramor01
    Participant

Just looking at the various options for LHR-BKK mid Feb – Is Egyptair a dry airline?

Yes, it is a dry airline. I guess that is why the prices are a little cheaper than those that serve alcohol…

Gin&Tonic
    Participant

Whoops no for me then!

ZKSmith
    Participant

Just returned from a trip with EgyptAir, flew return LHR-CAI in business class. Flew on their 777. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Food wasn’t bad, seats excellent, entertainment fine for a relatively short flight. Ability to get lie flat and a good nap on the trip was excellent as well. Okay they are far from the best airline in the world, CAI airport isn’t the nicest experience, but I would recommend them based on my flights. Seriously considering using them when I have to fly to South Africa later this year. Even if you don’t get lie flat seats from CAI-JNB I really don’t see how BA, Virgin or South African, who all charge well over £1000 more, can really warrant that price difference.

Swissdiver
    Participant

Gin&Tonic: They usually allow you to bring your booze on board provided of course you behave!

Hktbound
    Participant

Gin and tonic/.tramor 01, the Thai lounge at bkk has alcohol and the departure at 1am means that you really don’t miss the booze. We had a few beers and put the bed back for 8 hours sleep, and I am one who likes a glass of champagne on board

Tramor01
    Participant

Hktbound I’m a fairly frequent visitor to the Thai lounge when passing through BKK so know it well. “It would a few sherberts in advance and then a good kip” – Being dry isn’t a major issue given the potential savings to be made – It’s just nice to know in advance

DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

The point is that it is only ‘dry’if you choose to make it so.

Buy a bottle in duty free (you have saved more than enough to pay for it) and enjoy sensibly.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 50 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls