Economy service

Back to Forum
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

• Anonymous

MartynSinclair
    Participant

No need to start a long thread, but just wanted you all to hear what a wonderful set of shorthaul flights I had yesterday on Singapore. 3 sectors, shortest 1 hour longest 2.3 hours. 3 differnt aircraft, all spotlessly clean, all welcomed by smiling and happy cabin crew, probably eanring a lot less than BA crew. Meals served on all sectors left on time, wonderful inflight entertaiment and very comfy seats.

Yes the financial modelling is different, but cabin crew are cabin crew all over the world. Pity Willy and co + some other BA managers and union reps do go and meet appreciative cabin crew who clearly lead the way in terms of smiling – and serving their pax.

Well done Singapore. You were all a credit to Asia and how airtravel should be.

continentalclub
    Participant

Great to hear of excellent experiences; surely a candidate for:

http://businesstraveller.com/discussion/topic/businesstraveller.com-welldone

😉

This general theme is, of course, one that comes up regularly: that is, the perceived differences between European and Asian shorthaul services.

As Martyn (I think) acknowledges, the business model is quite different, but since the sentiments expressed are heard so often, the inference seems to be that Asian carriers could do better than their European and US counterparts.

So, what would Singathay Euroways look like? How would it work? Where would recruitment take place? In which jurisdiction would contracts of employment be enforced? Where would employees be domiciled and reside? Where would tax and NI be paid? How would collective-bargaining/representation be handled? How would they negotiate defacto fixed costs like airport and airspace fees, ground handling, APD, aircraft maintenance and cleaning costs etc to replicate those in the East? How would they market themselves (ie under whose competition laws) and where would ticketing take place? Would they specifically target a European market sector that more closely matches the profile of air travellers in the Far East (ie greater proportion of business traffic)? How big is that market in Europe? How much penetration does rail and LCCs have into that market compared to Asia? How would they deal with Michael O’Leary?

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Hi Continental Club

The final point that I never mentioned was that 2 out of the 3 captains were British (ex BA) so I really did feel at home. The major difference in the busienss model is the cost of employees and office / land costs. Everything else stays the same.

The other major difference of course is that Asian cabin crew tend to smile more and are appreciative of having a job.

I think it would be impossible to Singathay Airlines in Europe although under freedom of the skies, presume it is possible. Can you imagine a rival for Easy and Ryan, out of Heathrow manned by Asian cabin crew. I think BA would empty overnight (well one can dream).

Another 2 sectors tomorrow (again in economy).

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls