Eating out abroad with an allergy

Back to Forum
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

• Anonymous

Whilst researching for Business Traveller’s most recent “How to Cope With… feature”, about dealing with dietary requirements when abroad, we found that while there are a couple of databases of international restaurants for celiac, vegetarian and kosher dining, there was a lack of information about allergy-specific restaurants (nuts, dairy or otherwise).

Can anybody recommend a source of restaurants for business travellers with such allergies? Or any individual restaurants/ chains/ hotels you’ve found on your travels?

RichHI1
    Participant

I am a non meat eater. I find difference by country rather than by chain with regards to hotels. Worst areas to find any understanding being Argentina, (Non coastal) Mexico (non Mediterranean) France. Belgium, China, Eastern Europe generally (inclduing Germany, Austria, Switzerland). Common problems, meat bouillon or stock is not meat, chicken is not meat, sausages are not meat, bits of bacon are not meat etc…

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I deal with my super sensitivity to dietary issues by making sure I have my likes and dislikes in local script.

Currently in Thailand and make sure I have the local words for the main foods i dont eat, which includes onions and garlic / meat etc.

Makes ordering food easy and very enjoyable.

Obviously mine are a preference based diet. If I am with somebody who has medical allergies to foods, which are serious, would only take them to a western hotel, with a large PI insurance cover!!!

JohnnyEnglish
    Participant

I was pleasantly surprised to find that the Hyatt in Bishkek totally understood what gluten intolerance was – their menu included gluten-free options and the staff were knowledgeable about ingredients. Strangely, they did not understand it next door in the Dushanbe Hyatt.

A major problem I come across is even where food is made without allergens, cross-contamination in the kitchen remains a problem.

My major issue though is with business lounges. Neither Austrian or Lufthansa cater for gluten intolerance at all, and the staff don’t even know what’s in their food. Very disappointing, Contrast this with the SAS lounges where they cater specifically for gluten intolerance.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls