Easyjet vs Ryanair….What would you choose?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 116 total)

• Tim2soza
    Participant

I would choose EasyJet every time. I totally understand what Ryanair has brought to the market, but it is not for me. I’ve flown with them 4 times too many and had to complain on 3 occasions. EasyJet are, in my view, far more professional.

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

Tim

As someone who has flown both airlines many times (I’d guess over 100 flights on each, over the past 13-14 years), I literally do not think one can compare Ryanair to any other airline in Europe.

The company ploughs its own furrow. I’d rather not fly with FR, but sometimes it is unavoidable.

TominScotland
    Participant

What has struck me about this post (and others on this site) is the widespread misunderstanding about what LCCs are and what they are not. This leads to uninformed and emotion-driven comments which make as much sense as “I prefer fillet steak to spam”. Therefore, some of you may benefit from reading the great SWOT analyses of Ryanair and Easyjet on the CAPA site:

Ryanair

http://centreforaviation.com/analysis/ryanair-swot-analysis–michael-olearys-maniacal-focus-on-being-the-lowest-cost-producer-96465

and Easyjet:

http://centreforaviation.com/analysis/easyjet-swot-analysis—is-stelios-strength-weakness-opportunity-and-threat-all-in-one-96290

StewartKidd1
    Participant

Tom – thanks for that more measured intervention. Sometimes more heat than light when LCC’s are being discussed.

Just had a three leg trip on EJ and with my EJ+ card and allocated seats it would be hard to distinguish between EJ and ‘mainstream airlines – even used the air jetty at STN!

WoburnMan
    Participant

After a bit of research Ryanair popped up as the cheaper option for the family holiday to Kinsale. Air Lingus was the other option but they wanted £250 more than Ryanair. As the flight was only 50 minutes it was worth the gamble! During the booking process I made damm sure that the hidden extras wouldn’t catch us out at the airport – everything went smoothly certainly the cheapest flight I have ever done – would I do it again cost wise absolutely – would I use them on a regular basis absolutely not. One thing that did make me laugh was that there was no seat pocket to put my newspaper in – why?! what was that all about then ;o)!

Take a look at Ryanair’s route map:

http://www.ryanair.com/en/cheap-flight-destinations

Rabat and Essaouira coming soon!

TominScotland
    Participant

Jasonchimes – seat pocket?

1. Less weight = less fuel
    2. Less cleaning/ tidying

All about cutting costs in all areas

WoburnMan
    Participant

TominScotland

Yes I did think as much. Shame really, those little things in life count when taken away …

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

On the other hand, one is spared some of the nasty little surprises found in some seat back pockets.

I prefer the mesh pouches, at least you can see what is in there 🙁

WoburnMan
    Participant

Agreed the thought … Yuk! Chewing gum being one of those offending items. By far the best seat pockets I have used were on Virgin America – meshed and one for your iPhone too :o)

VintageKrug
    Participant

Chewing Gum should be taxed like cigarettes. I don’t understand why this didn’t happen years ago; it costs the government millions to remove the stuff inconsiderably spat out.

Who spits out chewing gum, for heaven’s sake…? Vile behaviour.

VintageKrug
    Participant

In one of the few good things to come out of Scottish Devolution, MSPs ar considering such a tax:

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/373562/MSPS-set-to-chew-over-10p-gum-tax

WoburnMan
    Participant

Totally agree there VK – vile behaviour and if caught should be fine as well as removing it from where it was spat out! If I recall correctly such laws do exist in Singapore …

TominScotland
    Participant

There is a really interesting piece published today on labour productivity across the European airline industry. I guess this is an issue that many of us grapple with across whatever sectors we operate. Therefore, it amuses me how limited understanding there is about the low cost carrier model works on this Forum. Maybe this article will help!!

http://centreforaviation.com/analysis/european-airlines-labour-productivity-oxymoron-for-some-vueling-and-ryanair-excel-on-costs-97635

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I’ve just been looking at the analysis Tom and it’s very interesting, highlighting not just the salaries but how much revenue each employee brings in, which is a very important management tool.

What struck me was the average revenue per employee at Ryanair when you read stories that crew are paid just £19 (from memory) per sector flown. Some employees must be on very high salaries – or perhaps its skewed by O’Leary’s and other directors no doubt large pay packet?

What also hits home is the high salary base of KLM/AF, but again I wonder if this is skewed by the high salaries paid to AF employees, not so much as € in the pocket but in the form of high social contributions and the famous -what is it – 36 hour working week.

A friend of mine in a senior position at KLM tells me they are looking at what can be moved to the Netherlands to save on French wage costs, but acknowledges that even when savings are found it will be very hard to get rid of “French” employees.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 116 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls