Easyjet vs Ryanair….What would you choose?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 116 total)

• MartynSinclair
    Participant

So why after all this cr*p publicity (not just on BT) does Ryanair manage to be taken as a serious airline….!!

Easyjet may is of equal status in the airine pecking order, but at least it is an airline taken seriously..

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

Tom, I admit that I don’t actually live in Swieqi, but it is easier to pronounce, write, explain than Ta’ l-Ibrag.

I use easyJet quite a bit, for point to point journeys to Gatwick, use Air Malta when connecting with long haul flights and Ryanair occasionally, if going to Madrid or somewhere like the north of England, where the flight to LBA is quite useful, due to the schedule.

easyJet I find are becoming more like a conventional sheduled airline (so is the pricing), but Ryanair are still ploughing their own furrow and doing their own thing, like it or hate it.

i agree with your post, that Ryanair are by far the cheapest airline generally, but it comes with its own price tag, there is a reason for that. Having said that, when I have to use them, I buy an aisle exit seat, put on my Bose QC15s, immerse my self in work and find that the time passes relatively quickly and painlessly.

As for Air Malta, it should be renamed ‘the never ending story’, as it is quite a political football here.

Have a good day.

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

“So why after all this cr*p publicity (not just on BT) does Ryanair manage to be taken as a serious airline….!!”

They have 300 aircraft – more than BA – that’s a serious fleet.

They are the largest airline in Europe.

They fly more pax every year than any other European airline.

They have a clear business strategy (cost leadership) and market segment.

They are highly profitable and have grown consistently for over 20 years

I’m not a big fan, but the above is the reality.

CityRiskBoy
    Participant

@formerlydos – Who cares if Ryanair are doing their own thing…..Theres low cost carrier and then theres gutter airline….Ryanair fall in to gutter category.

Everyone can get cheap flights from easyjet if they book far enough in advance…..The orange interior may be too much for some but its better than old bus with wings, a million announcements trying to sell you some old inedible old cr*p in a box and the famous scratchcards….where I am sure everyone has the chance of winning a Ryanair holiday…..not!

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

Some people like being in the gutter, spend a summer weekend in Ibiza or watch a reality TV show.

What’s your point?

“The orange interior may be too much for some but its better than old bus with wings”

I know that BA needs to update its ancient 737 fleet at LGW (average age circa 18 years), but ‘old bus on wings’ is a little rude, people have to work in those things and don’t need their self image damaged by posts like that.

CityRiskBoy
    Participant

The point I am getting at is the aircraft interiors are shabby and unhygienic….an hours flight staring at their marketing rubbish and brand advertising would be too much to handle.

Im talking from personal experience and its my opinion that the 2 times I have flown with them has been diabolical!

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Surely it takes more than a mass market paying pennies for tickets to support 300 aircraft flying…..

How does Ryan pay the bills?

navnov11
    Participant

I have FR twice before (LTN-DUB-LTN) and the flight was absolutely fine. No issues with the crew, departure and landing on time…

But I have flown easyJet many more times and yes it does feel a bit more “classy”.

Now, with sizable Avios at my disposal, I am using BA for short-haul trips.

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

“The point I am getting at is the aircraft interiors are shabby and unhygienic….an hours flight staring at their marketing rubbish and brand advertising would be too much to handle.”

You mean llike this one?

https://lh6.ggpht.com/NDoRjzVB75EdxDyNf5-9tllW2jCG7ltlYw36cVk_r63xIuSJ4S4Au36l_6M-KsggvHhys7E=s85

Clue, it isn’t Ryanair and you’d spend a lot longer than an hour on it.

“Im talking from personal experience and its my opinion that the 2 times I have flown with them has been diabolical!”

Ah, I see, a real expert.

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

Too complicated for me to write here, but essentially your point is good.

Maybe we can discuss over Thai? 😉

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Martyn

“How does Ryanair pay the bills ?”

Ryanair has a clever business model and because its cost structure is one of, if not the lowest in the industry, no competitor can threaten it.

Over the years I have seen so many budget carriers fail both here and in the US.

The key to success is controlling costs. Southwest of Dallas has survived the longest and that’s because it continues to have a lower cost structure than the big legacy airlines.

Ryanair monopolises most of the routes (on an airport to airport basis) it flies so it can control its yield.

Yes if you have a choice it seems from what is posted here that most travellers would opt for Easyjet over Ryanair.

But there seldom is a choice between these airlines on an airport to airport or city to city basis.

For example, Easyjet is of no use if you are flying from the UK to many destinations including Ancona, Bari, Leipzig or anywhere in Poland or anywhere in Scandinavia and the Nordic region (except for CPH and TLL).

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Many years ago a Co-op petrol station opened close to where I live. In order to gain market share their policy was to offer petrol 1c a litre cheaper than Esso or Mobil who were both within 50 meters of each other. A price war broke out and the queues for the co-op petrol had to be seen to be believed, while Esso and Mobil were both empty.

Having filled up people go inside to pay, and 9 out of 10 would buy crisps, drinks etc, but all these products were at least 20% more than the other two stations. Taking into account the time people spent waiting, not to mention the petrol burnt while edging forward, the saving ended up costing them a lot. But still the queues formed!

My point is this, if people think they are getting a bargain, they will endure any hardship imaginable to obtain it, even though in reality it’s costing them more.

As much as I loathe O’Liary you have to hand it to him that this is what he does the best, fleeces his passengers while extracting the most moolah from them but leaves them thinking they bagged a bargain. It’s only when human nature takes a radical u-turn that his business plan will go awry, in the meantime he will continue to rake it in and that’s what makes him so successful, human nature and nothing more!

BeckyBoop
    Participant

Thank you LP, I pointed out something similar on another thread : )

Does anyone know if Vintage Krug has ever savoured the delights of either of these two airlines?..lol ; )

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

Lugano

I think your analysis is pretty accurate, but the savings on the underpinning airfares are much greater than 1c/ltr and that is what attracts people.

If you take an informed view and work on final price, FR are usually (unless booked last minute) significantly less than the others, but then again their product offer is also significantly less.

There is also a lot more to their business model than selling flights and they draw income from some interesting places.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Ancillary fees are Ryanair’s big earner:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2009/sep/11/ryanair-baggage-charges

Then it negotiates preferential landing/handling fees at the airports it serves, depending on how keen these airports are to increase passenger throughput.

Marketing expenses may be taken care of by the local tourist board. Again, much depends on the destination.

When airports increase fees then Ryanair is known to reduce flights:

http://www.businesstraveller.com/news/ryanair-to-drop-birmingham-budapest-route

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 116 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls