Easyjet vs Ryanair….What would you choose?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 116 total)

• transtraxman
    Participant

On LCCs I have travelled using Ryanair, Easyjet and Vueling. Easyjet has improved over the years and could do better but is OK on 90-120min. flights.
    Vueling is a LCC but offers much more – its ideas of seat reservation, which can make a big difference to boarding a flight, were introduced way before the others thought about it. Its codesharing and interlining also make it more attractive. Obviously it is the best of the three.
    Ryanair is used as a last resort. Cheap, cheap, cheap in every sense except price. Unless you fly on a 6am flight on a Tuesday morning in mid February and book six months beforehand you do not get cheaper flights on Ryanair. They usually end up at the same price as anybody else, and for late bookings even more expensive, and the flight times are frequently inconvenient..
    Norwegian looks good but I have not flown them. Wizzair I would think twice about. About any other LCC operator I know nothing.

Binman62
    Participant

I have flown easy jet. Absolutely fine…. I will not fly Ryan air in principle

lloydah
    Participant

easyJet gave us a wheelchair, priority boarding and a crew member on tap at NCE and a minibus to take us from the aircraft to the terminal at LTN for my wife’s forehead injury when she tripped outside the airport and was cut by her spectacles. I can just see O’Lairy doing that…not!

BA744fan
    Participant

I have flown with both at least 25 times each. Although Ryanair usually win in terms of fares, even after all their additional costs, Easyjet win by a country mile.

Their crew are far more professional, and with 2 children under the age of 5, my family automatically gets to board straight after Speedy Boarding. Ryanair see it is an opportunity to squeeze yet more money out of you.

Flagflier
    Participant

Easyjet! I flew Ryanair in 2003 from Rome Ciampino to Liverpool and it was the worst 3 hours flight I’d ever taken. Split from my friends and family due to remote stand, and bus filling up midway through our travel group ( could happen with any airline I admit,) I ended up in a window seat, my preference with most full service airline, but was space restricted like I’ve never experienced before. Crew could barely communicate in comprehensive English.
    Having been spoiled by flying full service airlines, I’ve never subjected myself to Ryanair again. Easyjet is doable, but low cost is exactly what it says on the tin. No frills.
    BA a much more preferable experience, especially since the recent catering enhancements/reinstatements on shorthaul flights. A much welcome change.

scott66
    Participant

Neither of the options would be a first, second or third choice.

The lesser of the two evils by far would be Easyjet.

Sorry if I’ve got this wrong, I wonder if this is a set up post, the forum is about differing opinions, preferably well argued. I can’t imagine anyone having a positive experience to report on Ryanair (although I can report I did once witness a flicker of humanity from them).

seanyjmuclhr
    Participant

Easyjet every time. Have flown them a fair few times to Belfast, Edinburgh, Amsterdam and Munich, and they ain’t all that bad.

As for Ryanair, I have flown with them from Västeras, Hahn, Kerry and Riga and each time I was left with a bad taste in my mouth: poor service from start to finish, from booking the flight right through to completing the journey. I vowed never again to fly FR.

In all cases though, as my Mum used to say: “you pays your money, you takes your choices.”

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

Ha, ha, ha, ha! I have to assume that this is not a serious question because the answer is so obvious, it’s a no-brainer. The choice is between a respectable airline and something that is the aviation equivalent of “Steptoe & Son” – or to bring it up to date, Del Boy Trotter’s Robin Reliant in “Only fools and horses”. And that’s being unkind to Robin Reliants.

It has to be that there really is absolutely no other way of getting there before I will go on Ryanair. They really are sh*te.

stevescoots
    Participant

Easy all the way. if i am flying Europe first place i look is Easy, then BA. Ryanair i do not even bother, if they are the only carrier to a location then I either fly somewhere else and rent a car to drive or i send a subordinate!

I just booked a flught to PRG, easy was 100 notes less than BA, but BA’s schedule meant I could get to PRG in and out same day with no hotel costs etc so BA worked out better overall. but then i manage my own travel budget so can make those choices, many others cannot

LuganoPirate
    Participant

This must be the first thread ever on BT where till now we have unanimous agreement!

TominScotland
    Participant

It is great to see this theme raise its ugly head once again! It brings the best out of the ‘I read it in the Daily Mail’ brigade. Hats off to folks who speak from recent travel experience with both airlines and add something worthwhile to the discussion but why trundle out urban myths and prejudices without reference to the evidence – as FormerlyDOS rightly points out with respect to the age of Ryanair’s fleet but is also applicable to comments about pilot incentives to deplane passengers before the aircraft has come to a stop to ensure a fast turn round – or base your comments on experience many years ago?

The way some of you make the painful choice on offer reminds me of my prepubescent days and conversations at school that included dilemmas like “but if you REALLY had to choose, which would you prefer, to be hanged or shot?”.

Come on, low cost airlines are a contemporary reality and will not go away. They certainly make money on a consistent basis and provide a route network abandoned or never offered by legacy carriers. I’m currently in Spain – a combination of Easyjet and Ryanair could have got me to Galicia but the risk of connecting flights in either Stansted or Barcelona in November did not make this a realistic option for a short trip. Had there been a direct option, I would certainly have taken it with either carrier. That said, Ryanair is now the largest domestic carrier in Spain and, by all accounts, does a very good and reliable job running what is essentially an enhanced bus service.

Apple and pear comparisons between low costs and legacy is one of the recurring themes in this and previous posts (Flagfier – “BA a much more preferable experience, especially since the recent catering enhancements/reinstatements on shorthaul flights”) and this so-called choice is really meaningless unless you either live in London or are happy to extend your travel time hugely by transiting there.

In fairness, the question asked here is a bit pointless in that the two airlines are not really trying to do the same thing. Ryanair claim to be 50% cheaper than Easyjet (http://centreforaviation.com/analysis/easyjets-record-gbp317m-profit-as-it-hits-the-strategic-sweet-spot-89169 ). That lower cost has its consequences. And, despite the horror revelations you may read in the Daily Mail (‘I was charged £950 to fly home when my cat died’ – distraught retired stockbroker from Kent) , in most cases, Ryanair ARE alot cheaper than alternatives if you play by the rules. So it is a bit like comparing sprouts and parsnips in this case.

So, please keep the bile coming – it certainly makes for entertaining reading.

Harry007
    Participant

Presumably a rhetorical question?

Nothwithstanding young fleet and no serious mishap to date with Ryanair, it has to be Easyjet if flying LCC.

Plenty of experience with both and if options available would consider any other carrier in preference to RY.Usually as expensive and with muliple sneaky charges such as a 25 euro administration fee to process a booking that a customer makes themselves.

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

TominScotland 22/11/2012 05:41 GMT

What a great post.

One of the best I’ve read for a while.

TominScotland
    Participant

Thanks, Formerly DoS.

Of course, as a former (or maybe still current) resident of Swieqi, both low cost airlines are realistic travel options so you are in a postion to make informed choices.

Air Malta seems to be on the mend but had that turnround not taken place, UK and other European travellers to and from Malta would, largely, have been faced with my sprouts or parsnips choice. The country would have survived, I guess!!

CityRiskBoy
    Participant

Fair to say it looks like easyjet is a crowd fav….for LCC anyway. I know easyjet dont push all the buttons with some people……but compairing them to Ryanair is like comparing Gucci to Matalan! (If you know what I mean 🙂 ).

I am an avid BA fan and will always fly with them if poss….especially on short haul but hats off to easyjet over the past years….it looks like they are on the right track under Carolyn Mccalls leadership.

Their planes are always clean and tidy, leg room sufficient, crew helpful (everytime Ive flown with them anyway) and their on time performance has really come a long way.

Ryanair…………….You wouldnt even be able to pay me to step on board….and as for O’Leary….nothing more than a penny pincher!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 116 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls