Easyjet – Take-Off/Inflight Engine Incident

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)

• Anonymous

JordanD
    Participant

As reported on the AV Herald website and on the Daily Mail (in an unusually factual headline, even if the article starts to veer away), easyJet had an engine cowl incident yesterday (13 August) very similar to the BA LHR-OSL incident last month.

http://avherald.com/h?article=466d1cf2&opt=0

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2391474/EasyJet-flight-carrying-174-passengers-forced-make-emergency-landing-engine-cover-torn-off.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

SergeantMajor
    Participant

We are seeing an awful lot about “incidents” in the newspapers during the August Silly Season.

I suppose as such information is more freely available to the wider public, and that transparency about safety matters is (thankfully) the order of the day, this is going to be a trend we will see more of.

Every airline has technical issues, and it’s good these are shared around the aviation community.

But these incidents should be seen within a context of a hugely increased volume of flights; they are very rare. The design of aircraft and skill of pilots (particularly on well established airlines) is more than capable of managing such incidents as routine.

How about a little more sang-froid?

TominScotland
    Participant

Please could we have multiple tirades against incompetent Easyjet engineers, uncaring management and their penny pinching culture from those who vented their spleen against BA recently – just in the interests of consistency and fairness?

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

@ TominScotland – 14/08/2013 10:17 GMT

+1

canucklad
    Participant

I’m not got going to go down your tirade route Tom… 😉

I’m actually going to be a wee bit meaner……

The BA incident is still very fresh in peoples mind…and could have been more serious than it actually was…..so I’m going to disagree with the SergeantMajor here and suggest that Easyjet must be taken to task over this….
    The C4 programme “Terror in the Skies” might be alarmist and is definitely edited to make for entertaining television…….having said that the basic premise that Brendan Walker, the Aeronautical engineer makes is whether or not modern flying is too technologically complex to be completely safe is quite sound……especially when you consider that all that is required here….
    If indeed it is the same fault and therefore same cause and effect …..
    Is as Larry Grayson would have said……”Shut that door”
    So it is indeed worrying that engineers/ walk round pilots have not learned their lesson from the BA incident….appalling actually

JordanD
    Participant

I know I’m the OP, but:

@ TominScotland – 14/08/2013 10:17 GMT

+1

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

Anthony Dunn, Tom in Scotland

Please grow up.

If it emerges that the easyjet engineers did not fasten the cowl doors properly, causing a potentially dangerous incident, then I will condemn them strongly.

More importantly, this must be nearly 40 similar incidents on the A320 range, now (CFM56 and V2500), surely time for a poka yoke solution to be mandated by the airworthiness authorities. This amount of incidents is sending a message about the efficacy of the current arrangements.

One of these days, a detached cowl flap will do serious damage to someone or something.

TominScotland
    Participant

FDOS

Not so much a case of growing up but mere reference to past posting at

http://www.businesstraveller.com/discussion/topic/Flight-BA762-LHR-Oslo-Emergency-landing

where there are massive leaps to conclusions without evidence……

I just look for balance in folks’ reactions to situations like this.

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

@ FormerlyDoS – 14/08/2013 14:06 GMT

No, this has precisely nothing to do with any need to grow up, it does have everything to do with applying exactly the same standards of condemnation to carriers beyond BA when they manifestly fail. It really is that simple.

toonfan62
    Participant

Doesn’t sound like this one flew “damaged” for longer than necessary over a highly populated area however…..

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

Tom in Scotland, Anthony Dunn

It’s pathetic to make that argument, when your postings were #3 and #4 in the thread and few people had commented.

It makes you both look like serious BA apologists.

Edited to add: the serious criticism of BA in that the thread you quote came after the AAIB interim bulleting, confirming the cause.

I await the same from the Italian authorities, before commenting further on this one, although the pix do look like the result of a classic failure to secure – we will see.

TominScotland
    Participant

When many on this forum are serious BA antagonists, maybe? Not including you here because your comments, FDOS, are generally balanced but others are way off the mark. I am not an apologist for anything or anyone but look for a balanced perspective…

SimonS1
    Participant

Could be there will be some red faces at EZY here but I suppose it depends what the investigation reveals.

Interesting that Malpensa was only closed for 20 mins. I wonder why in this case the pilot thought it was safe to taxi clear and have people disembarked with stairs.

JordanD
    Participant

I’m sure others will know better, but as the aircraft was British registered, aren’t the Italian authorities duty bound to invite the AAIB to provide observers to assist the investigation? Am sure – as others have suggested – with the potential for overlap with the BA incident, that would help bring this together …

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls