EasyJet Release Former GB Airways Routes For Sale

Back to Forum
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

• Anonymous

VintageKrug
    Participant

http://www.easyjet.com/en/book/new_routes_now_on_sale.html

You can now fly with Stelios to these destinations. Joy.

JeffD
    Participant

I recently tried to book a Voyages Jules Verne holiday to Jordan. I read with some surprise that EasyJet will be offering the same level of service on this route as GB airways. On further questioning I could not yet this confirm despite an on line comment on their website. I do not for one minue think Easyjet can possible offer anywhere near the same level of service on this route we are used to from GB.

Why are British Airways consolidating and cutting out so many short haul routes ?

VintageKrug
    Participant

This is marketing-speak slight of hand.

EasyJet will OFFER the same level of services as GB Airways (the BA franchise which operated this route) but you will have to PAY extra to receive many of them (eg free food/drink). And you will probaly pay more to receive the

EasyJet have no plans for a business class/CE product. And I believe their seat pitch in Y will be less than GB was. Plus no Lounge (unless you have Priority Pass) and no air miles. In those respects (often important ones to frequent travellers) they will not offer the same services as GB did.

But he average bucket and spade punter is unlikely to notice much of a change, and be pleased by the £5 saving in flight costs even if they end up paying £10 more on board for booze and a sarnie.

GB Airways was a franchise offering services mainly to leisure destinations in Europe and North Africa. These did not align with the central long haul premium strategy being focussed on by Willy Walsh, and franchise agreements (Manx, Loganair, BMed etc.) have all been canned in recent years as part of this strategy; this simplifies the cost base and ensured management can be focussed on BAs central; offering.

What about Open Skies you say – well exactly contrary to the above statement, but I suppose all part of the strategy.

BMed was unprofitable, mainly Middle East and oil routes and was hit hard by the War in Lebanon and (ironically given the target market) higher fuel costs on these typically long and thin routes. Now owned by bmi.

In fact BA mainline will take over certain key routes formerly offered by GB, for instance some politically/strategically important Gibraltar services, and there are others but you would have to see the press release for this info.

GB CE service is streets ahead of mainline BA – with proper full bottles of fizz – I will be sampling it for the last time this Friday en route to Malta.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls