Easyjet Hack – Can I get a refund on travel

Back to Forum
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• GBAIR72
    Participant

I got an email from EZ saying my booking details were compromised. I don’t want to travel on those dates as hackers wil know I will be away from property during this time. Therefore more likely to be burgled

Do I have any recourse to get Easyjet to cancel And refund my tickets?

capetonianm
    Participant

My answer to your question would be an emphatic ‘no’.

Do the hackers have your address? The possibility is negligible. It would only appear – and this is most unlikely to be the case – as part of your CC verification details. I would be extremely surprised if the hackers have it. Even if they do, they are hardly likely to come round to burgle you, or get someone else to do it.

The email I received said :

Our investigation found that your name, email address, and travel details were accessed for the easyJet flights or easyJet holidays you booked between 17th October 2019 and 4th March 2020. Your passport and credit card details were not accessed, however information including where you were travelling from and to, your departure date, booking reference number, the booking date and the value of the booking were accessed.

As an aside, with legacy carriers, your address, passport number, date of birth, FF number, email, phone contacts, etc would be visible to anyone with access to your full PNR. All that is required is the PNR locator and GDS access This is why I refuse to allow ‘duty free’ to scan my boarding pass, and also why it is stupid for people to put ‘brag’ photos of their BP on social media.

GBAIR72
    Participant

Thanks very much. The email did not specify if my address details were compromised

capetonianm
    Participant

I have just looked at my EZY profile details and it does contain my address, as does my EZY+ profile.
    A booking, as mentioned before, would almost certainly not contain those details, but a ‘hacker’ who was able to access your profile, as opposed to a booking, might be able to see those details. Of course there is no obligation to use your correct address other than for CC verification.
    Capture

Where you go from there, now that you know that your details are theoretically visible to a determined hacker, I don’t know. I suppose you could move house!

SGJNI1961
    Participant

Or believe that your airline will not be hacked and give away your data for free???????????

Roa1
    Participant

GBAIR72

I refer you to an earlier thread on the same heading; “Easyjet boardroom battle takes a turn”. There are some good advice that you may wish to consider; such as, the law firm PGMBM has taken out a class action against eastJet, on “no win, no fee” basis because of the data breach.

All the links are there beginning from 26 May onward.

Meanwhile, good luck!

ASK1945
    Participant

[postquote quote=999684][/postquote]

Whilst the “hack” must be a big worry for you, and maybe you should consider Roa1’s suggestion for following a class action, I doubt that disclosure of your postal address would take you much further, unless your public electoral roll information has been hidden, as it is for my wife and I.

On a side issue (in relation to class actions), my wife and I did join one against RBS, on a “no win, no fee basis”. The action was successful, albeit at a much lover level than the initial claim, and the legal fees (including court costs) applicable to that success left us with only a tiny sum. It was not worth the effort, in retrospect. So, be careful. The recent successful claim by post office managers against the post office was succesful – but with them receiving a pittance compared with what the lawyers received.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls