Easyjet cancellation

Back to Forum

This topic contains 20 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  SpeedbirdAbz 11 Dec 2018
at 15:56

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)

• Montysaurus
    Participant

I have just been emailed by Easyjet to say my GLA to ALC flight has been cancelled. It was booked by me for 5 of us to fly out in April. I suppose that means they are off the EU261 hook. Given we have accommodation booked and partly paid for we either lose money or, if we are able to get on a flight the next day, lose a day out of 4 days.
    That is bad enough but it would have been courteous to advise me of the reason for the cancellation. Any comments?

canucklad
    Participant

Hey Montysaurrus
    Did they suggest as an alternative re-booking you on an alternative flight from EDI on the same day?
    It seems like they’ve taken the (sorry for the pun) easy option out.
    If not EDI, could they have rebooked you via London instead, therefore keeping your 5 days !!

I know it’s not ideal, but you could probably fly Ryanscare from Prestwick for cheaper ?

Montysaurus
    Participant

I wasn’t offered an EDI option, only the day before or the day after. My group refuse to fly Ryanair after an incident some years ago involving Ryanair selling alcohol on board to 8 people who could hardly get up the steps to the aircraft as they were already so drunk. They created havoc so never again.

I will look at an EDI option although Jet2 fly from GLA on the day we had booked and it is only about £35 dearer than Easyjet charged us.

CathayLoyalist2
    Participant

I guess the question is as and when, and maybe if, we leave the EU what regulations will be in force/still in force to hold airlines responsible for errors/failures etc?. Surely they cannot be allowed to get off scot free?

TimFitzgeraldTC
    Participant

Did you book the arrangements in 1 go via a Travel Agent when booking the flights & hotels together. If so under the package travel regulations the agent is responsible for sourcing alternative flights at no extra cost to you.

If you have booked direct with Eastjet and accommodation via another provider then this won’t apply. But I’d call EZY and ask for an option from another airport that is local to you (so EDI potentially) otherwise the Jet2 option might be best bet.

Montysaurus
    Participant

Thanks for the responses. I know these things happen but what made me really cross was there was no explanation, just a bald statement and “sorry”. It was particularly annoying because it was a booking for 5 people, all of whose agreement I needed to make the change in times and cost. This was not helped by O2 being down yesterday!
    I rebooked us all with Jet2 and have claimed a refund from EZY. In the email they sent me there was a link to “contact us” which when selected resulted in an Error 404 “this page is not available” which rubbed salt in the wound.
    Easyjet have not heard the last of this as I want an explanation – I will probably get “operational reasons”!

AMcWhirter
    Participant

LCCs are hard-nosed. They will cancel flights for “commercial reasons” even before the end of the (winter) season as is the case with EZY’s Gatwick-Aberdeen route- see bwlow.

You didn’t say when in April you were intending to travel. But if it was some weeks away from Easter then demand would be low.

Easyjet drops Aberdeen but will start Dusseldorf from Gatwick

EU261 would not apply in this case.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I guess the question is as and when, and maybe if, we leave the EU what regulations will be in force/still in force to hold airlines responsible for errors/failures etc?. Surely they cannot be allowed to get off scot free?

All non-EU airlines who fly into (and out of) the EU have to abide by the EU261 rule, so no change there. However to non-EU destinations it’s another matter, and it will be interesting to see if GOV UK keeps that rule or bend to the pressures that BA will surely put on them to scrap it.

1 user thanked author for this post.

canucklad
    Participant

rebooked us all with Jet2 and have claimed a refund from EZY

Ezy’s loss is Jet2’s gain, and I’ll make a prediction ……

The service level gap between Jet2 and EasyJet is about the same as between EasyJet and Ryanscare

Given a choice, and as long as there isn’t too much of a price gap, my LCC pecking order is definitely ……

Jet2
    Norwegian
    EasyJet
    Ryanair

So looking at the silver lining Montysaurraus , ultimately EasyJet has definitely done you favour : )

TimFitzgeraldTC
    Participant

BA and other major airlines have pulled routes in the past with less notice. At least this has happened several months in advance. I really wouldn’t bother chasing Easyjet over it as . It is frustrating but ultimately routes will only exist if they are commercially viable to the operator. At least the cost implication in this instance is minimal compared to previous instances I’ve had this happen to people I know.

SwissExPat
    Participant

Same happened me a few years ago with EasyJet.

They canceled my flight 17 days before departure and hence avoided the compensation. All I could do was have a refund or transfer to another flight. The route was not being suspend, they kept flying the route (ZRH to LGW) but I expect their yield management algorithm suggested the flight was not worth running and hence cancelled it.

Had the same experience with Cathay last month.

Montysaurus
    Participant

Curious and curiouser. All April Saturday GLA to ALC EZY flights have been cancelled. All March and May Saturday flights are still on sale.

SimonS1
    Participant

All non-EU airlines who fly into (and out of) the EU have to abide by the EU261 rule, so no change there. However to non-EU destinations it’s another matter, and it will be interesting to see if GOV UK keeps that rule or bend to the pressures that BA will surely put on them to scrap it.

Non-EU airlines flying to the EU are not covered.

Non-EU airlines flying from the EU are covered.

And the destination is irrelevant.

1 user thanked author for this post.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Curious and curiouser. All April Saturday GLA to ALC EZY flights have been cancelled. All March and May Saturday flights are still on sale.

Of course it doesn’t mean these Saturday service in March and May will operate.

AgaPro
    Participant

I’m affraid but as I read on GIVT website: “Right to compensation for a cancelled flight applies if the airline informed you about the cancellation later than 14 days before the scheduled departure date”, so if it’s April according to EU261 you dont have right to compensation :/

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls