East Coast on-board wi-fi

Back to Forum
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

• Anonymous

Bunnahabhain
    Participant

Does this use the overhead wires? It seems to effectively cut out just as the wires end north of Edinburgh!

NTarrant
    Participant

Wouldn’t have thought so, as east Midlands and FGW have it and they don’t have wires. I think it is all GPS, it is on buses and coaches.

Bucksnet
    Participant

GPS is the Global Positioning System – not an internet transmission network.

NTarrant
    Participant

Indeed, wrong term, but why do I get internet on my Blackberry when it says GPS rather than 3G?

Bunnahabhain
    Participant

I think it ultimately runs on some kind of mobile network, as the strength of the wifi signal does seem to mirror your cellular one wherever the train is. The crew seem to be familiar with the question!

Comes down to the old north of Edinburgh issue – aka the proverbial north of Watford, just true! Guess I should count myself lucky EC still exists this side of the divide. I liked the spin on the proposed axe of cross-border services north of Edin as it becoming a hub!

Bucksnet
    Participant

GPRS – General Packet Radio Service, basically packet switched data on 2G networks.

Shearer
    Participant

Of course, Vodafone owes its existence to British Rail, as Racal Vodafone was borne out of British Rails telecommunciations network.

I think.

Bucksnet
    Participant

NIRscot, move the apostrophe from it’s to Rails before VK scolds you!

Shearer
    Participant

*whistle’s*

I mean *whistles*

Shearer
    Participant

Thanks for the heads – up. I don’t know how that happened! I actually take pictures of badly placed apostrophes.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls