Earning Tier Points and Avios with Qatar?

Back to Forum
Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)

• Gold-2K
    Participant

I did LHR to SYD return in first with BA and got 360 tier points for the outbound. I had a one night stopover in SIN on the return and got 450 tier points as it was classed as 2 separate flights. The stopover had no impact on the price of the ticket.

Makes no sense!

seasonedtraveller
    Participant

Gold-2K

Makes no sense to me either.

When I used to fly LHR to LAX with BA, a direct flight got me 140 points but if I went via EWR with a 2 hour layover it was 280 points.

Also baffling to me was PHL to PHX with American in ‘first’. A 4.5 hour flight costing USD $400 netted 210 tier points.

How can that make sense when a direct, 12 hour flight from LHR to ICN with BA in ‘C’ at approx £1,200 (50% of the return cost), give just 140 points?

It’s madness that a 8 hour flight to JFK nets the same points as a 14 hour flight from ICN to LHR!

Rant over. 😉

lesmclaren
    Participant

From everything I have seen in this topic it would appear that a more equatable system is badly needed with BA [and probably others] that offers Tier level based on either number of flights in a year or number of tier points earned.
    I know that BA does offer this but as far as I am aware this only applies to UK domestic flights and is set at I think a very high 50 a year.

For example, KLM Flying Blue has this system with Gold at 30 flights and Platinum at 60 flights [all Skyteam flights are included]. This is a far more equatable system for those of us like me who mainly fly short haul and overcomes the disparagy of differing sector tier points.

Just a thought!

AlanOrton1
    Participant

lesmclaren – I’m afraid my personal view is a little different to yours on this one.

I think there has to be an element of recognition of £ or $ spent. The US airlines have by and large moved to this system and away from purely segments flown.

I agree BA has short haul, expensive Y fares earning too little in terms of TP’s, but unless they moved to rewarding tier levels entirely by £/$ spent, there is always going to be an inexact ‘science’ to the way TP’s are allocated.

If BA do tweak their loyalty programme in the future, I would wager rather than rewarding on segments flown, it will be along the lines that you get silver if your spend is x and gold if it is y. I suspect Flyertalk might go into meltdown should this ever come to fruition(!)

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls