E Gates UK airports – who has access…. post BREXIT…

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)

• MartynSinclair
    Participant

Much publicity about UK passport holders not being allowed to use fast track bio passport / e gates when entering the EU. What’s the position at UK airports with e gates? Do EU passport holders still have access to UK e gates or will EU passport holders have to line up for a manual check.

Malachi1
    Participant

YES. From what I have read, EU citizens get to use the UK e-gates, and are allowed up to 6 months in the UK.

UK Citizens are not allowed to use the EU e-gates, and get up to 3 months in the EU. When not banned!

Think on that!!

2 users thanked author for this post.

TominScotland
    Participant

So a related question.

For those of us who are dual nationals (UK/EU), is it legitimate to arrive in an EU country with our EU passport but then return to the UK on our UK document? Does it matter? It would seem to make sense but………

SimonS1
    Participant

[postquote quote=1087292][/postquote]

It’s 90 days in every 180 (so 6 months a year) or get a visa/residence card.

The no use of egates is true in the Brexit deal, however UK has always allowed certain non EU nationalities (US, Canada, Australia) to use them and is trying to agree a reciprocal model.

Of course the whole point is that we should not allow anyone with a EU passport just to roll in the door. The intention was to start to control immigration a bit.

2 users thanked author for this post.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

My understanding about e gates, was UK passport holders were no longer allowed to use the e gates / fast track within the EU due to the relevant EU ‘computers’ no longer having instant access (only delayed access) to the data to verify UK passport holders. If EU passports are allowed to be used in the UK e gates, this must mean the UK has retained instant access to the EU passport holders data or EU passports are not being correctly verified at point of entry (unlikely).

Not a major issue for me at the moment, but I am interested to know if and why EU members can still use the UK e gates / fast track and why this is not reciprocal for us in the EU. It of course may be the issue, UK passports holders may no longer have access to the EU accessible e gates in the UK…. (quelle surprise)…

[quote quote=1087408]For those of us who are dual nationals (UK/EU), is it legitimate to arrive in an EU country with our EU passport but then return to the UK on our UK document? Does it matter? It would seem to make sense but………[/quote]

I believe Tom, there is a requirement to use the same passport to enter and leave a country on the same trip. Will you be stopped trying to exit a country on a different passport to the one you entered, let us know when you try 🙂

ASK1945
    Participant

[quote quote=1087421]I believe Tom, there is a requirement to use the same passport to enter and leave a country on the same trip. Will you be stopped trying to exit a country on a different passport to the one you entered, let us know when you try[/quote]

Martyn

I know of lots of people with dual passports (UK and non-EU) who used their UK passport to enter (and then leave) the UK/EU and their own country (non-EU) passport when entering back into their home country, without any difficulties.

I suppose in some countries, where duty-free allowances enter the equation, the scenario you paint “to exit a country on a different passport to the one you entered” might apply but I doubt that it would help for a UK passport holder in any way – other than when illegal activity had been undertaken whilst in the UK.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

[quote quote=1087435]I know of lots of people with dual passports (UK and non-EU) who used their UK passport to enter (and then leave) the UK/EU and their own country (non-EU) passport when entering back into their home country, without any difficulties.[/quote]

The problem about using a different passport to enter and leave a country may occur when a stay duration is marked against your passport data. As far as one country is concerned, you may never have left (or never returned).

Where Israel is concerned, is it not an offence to use a second passport to leave the country, when you have entered using an Israeli passport? Also in the USA I believe you are discouraged from entering with a USA passport and leaving using a UK passport. I may be wrong…. but I have always been told to use the same passport to enter and leave a country (even when travelling with 2 UK passports).

ASK1945
    Participant

Martyn

“Where Israel is concerned, is it not an offence to use a second passport to leave the country, when you have entered using an Israeli passport?”

Yes, you are quite correct. As in many other countries, to leave you have to go through a border control, where they keep a tally of who has entered and who is leaving. This is another failure in the UK, which doesn’t seem to tally this by having a proper exit control manned by Border Force.

Although I have been to the USA dozens of times, it’s always been with a UK passport, so I can’t comment on your point.

TominScotland
    Participant

Thanks for your thoughts on the dual national thing. In my case, I am required by law to use my EU passport whenever entering, travelling or residing in or leaving the country of issue (not for the other 26 EU countries) and my understanding is that my EU passport actually has no status in the UK because I also hold a UK passport. Kompliziert, nicht war?

K1ngston
    Participant

[postquote quote=1087439][/postquote]

Where Israel is concerned, is it not an offence to use a second passport to leave the country, when you have entered using an Israeli passport? Also in the USA I believe you are discouraged from entering with a USA passport and leaving using a UK passport. I may be wrong…. but I have always been told to use the same passport to enter and leave a country (even when travelling with 2 UK passports).

This is a correct assumption and one I have always followed Martyn you have to enter and leave a country with the same passport. Only time I was ever pulled up on this was entering into Israel with my UK passport and I was flagged and told I had to use my Israeli passport which I had actually forgotten and had to go to the relevant Ministry in Israel to get a temp document to leave!

I have 2 UK passports and Israeli and very careful to use the right document when going into countries

1 user thanked author for this post.

RoyJones
    Participant

There is a risk where the immigration system uses passport number to match arrivals and departures that one or both passports get “flagged”. Arriving again in a country you haven’t left and in some cases departing a country you haven’t arrived. There is also a mismatch with reports from the airline passenger list. With 2 UK passports once I got stopped leaving Sydney as their records said I had overstayed my visa. Stamps in my passport proved otherwise but it took some time to sort. That was the only time in some 40 years, so the chances are slim.

EduardoMT
    Participant

[quote quote=1087408]For those of us who are dual nationals (UK/EU), is it legitimate to arrive in an EU country with our EU passport but then return to the UK on our UK document? Does it matter? It would seem to make sense but…[/quote]

Not a UK national but double citizen EU/non-EU and constantly travel with 2 passports. The rule is generally that if you are a national you need to enter the country with that passport. You should enter and leave the same country (or Schengen) with the same passport though. So enter and leave country A with a single passport, but no need to leave country A and enter country B with the same passport.

LHR_Fan
    Participant

If anyone is interested then I arrived at T5 LHR yesterday and the Blue Lane for EU arrivals is now blocked off. You can only exit through the Red or Green Channels.

Also ….. I’m not sure if many of you know this but when you check in a bag in an EU country the bag tag (affixed to your suitcase handle) has green borders all along the side. This was always the case when I departed LHR, so when I checked my luggage in for my outbound flight (from LHR) a few days ago the green border has gone!

MartynSinclair
    Participant

@LHR_Fan – do you recall whether there was any new signage above the entrance to the e-gate lanes in T5… ?

I still don’t understand how EU passports can be used in UK airport e-gates but UK passports cant used in EU airports e-gates…

Khandallah
    Participant

Rule of thumb – enter/leave a country on the same passport you departed/ arrived.Border agencies get VERY upset with criss-crossing. Also, if you get into difficulty in a country and you have entered that country on a non British passport, the British Embassy/ High Commission will be unable to provide consular assistance as you haven’t entered that country as a British National

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls