DXB-LHR in WTP on BA 30 sec review

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 42 total)

• Flyerboy1
    Participant

think I’ve heard it all now, slamming of an overhead locker, pls no wonder they huffed and never returned, those lockers are huge, even me at 5.7 if they are light there fine but with plenty of luggage in them there heavy buggers, a good bang is needed, I even help the crew, if that’s all you got to moan about, god help you……

FDOS_UK
    Participant

seasonedtraveller – 29/04/2016 11:11 BST

Sorry to have missed you, but pleased you got a reasonably quick onward connection.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

Flyerboy1 – 29/04/2016 13:29 BST

How to close a locker/bin quietly

1 – pull the lock/unlock catch to ‘unlocked’

2 – gently push the locker lid until it is against it’s stops. I am only 5’9″, never have a problem doing this and if the lid has the cases on it, e.g. 777 type and is too heavy to push up with normal effort, it is either overloaded and needs sorting or you are a wimp and need to eat some spinach 😉

3 – gently release the catch

If the locker/bin will not lock like this, something is obstructing the lid and needs to be moved around until there is no resistance.

Slamming shut, because it will not close gently, is setting someone up for a mishap at the far end and should be avoided.

As to your righteous indignation about this matter, people pay thousands of pounds/dollars/euros to rest overnight in first or business class and a numpty crew member can disrupt this by doing the elephant walk, slamming a bin lid or leaving a curtain ajar in the middle of the night.

Proper service standards will mean the crew are trained to think ‘passenger first’ and be more considerate.

Alsacienne
    Participant

FDOS – “choice between mocassin or John Dory” leather or cannibalism!

As regards the slamming of the overhead bins, I took two Ryanair flights this week and on both occasions, cabin crew used the ‘press the latch and nudge’ method to close them rather than the ‘slam’ approach. Much appreciated, especially when the bin is full and care has been taken to make sure that all straps and coats have been carefully moved away from the latch. Hope to see more of this … my past trips on many different carriers have all been full of the slamming of the bins, usually in parallel as a member of the cabin crew passes down the cabin!

FDOS_UK
    Participant

Alsacienne – 30/04/2016 09:51 BST

ROTFL – cannibalism works over leather, for me 😉

Flyerboy1
    Participant

It’s an overhead locker, get over it, way too much time on your hands for all the details…..

FDOS_UK
    Participant

I see, another candidate for the ‘Walt’ thread.

Obviously zero experience of what frequent premium travellers want to receive in return for their high fares.

Alsacienne
    Participant

Respect and courtesy are valued by travellers in all classes of travel, and by those who are employed for their safety both in the air and on the ground. Just a passing comment based on an observation. Nothing more, nothing less.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

Alsacienne – 30/04/2016 10:06 BST

Absolutely agree. I wouldn’t disturb a crew member eating their meal in the rear galley of an A320.

seasonedtraveller
    Participant

FDOS_UK – – – Obviously zero experience of what frequent premium travellers want to receive in return for their high fares.

Agreed 100% – I have responded to Flyerboy on the ‘walting’ thread.

Flyerboy1
    Participant

To FDOS and seasoned traveller, many thanks for your comments, zero experience you say, I just fly almost every week to the states and throw in a few short hauls to VIE, but doubt I know too much of that’s the case, as long as I arrive safe and no problems that is what I’m happy about, running out of chix or beef or the sound of lockers been thrown into the roof is not my top priority or something I’m too bothered about, obviously for you it is.

openfly
    Participant

Flyerboy1…..Are you in the right job?!

Flyerboy1
    Participant

What do you mean openfly, how do you know what I do,??

NTarrant
    Participant

Flyerboy1 – I think you will find that everyone wants to arrive safe in any mode of travel, not just air.

Why do you find it so hard to accept that people, that’s the majority, don’t want to be woken up by slamming overhead lockers? If you are then that’s fine, but you should not criticise those of us that don’t want to hear that.
    There is also no reason why a locker should be slammed shut, unless there is a problem with the catch.

WillieWelsh
    Participant

Flyerboy1

Your post here: Flyerboy1 – 11/09/2014 11:04 BST

and here:

Flyerboy1 – 30/07/2015 10:57 BST

and here:

Flyerboy1 – 24/07/2015 18:13 BST

and yet another:

Flyerboy1 – 24/12/2015 16:19 BST

give more than a clue about your occupation – unless passengers randomly request other passengers to request things of the captain!

Without sounding too judgemental I think you may be the sort of crew that people regard as a reason not to fly BA.

Oh and on baggage lockers, if Singapore girl can both lift someone’s roller and then close the locker quietly I think the very least you can do is not to slam the lockers even if you are by your own admission a short *rs*.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 42 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls