Duke & Duchess of Cambridge fly SQ

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 120 total)

• BeckyBoop
    Participant

Giving the Royal family/UK plc a private jet would be political suicide 🙁

canucklad
    Participant

The most obvious answer and probably most cost effective is to requistion an aircraft from ” Monarch” and claim royalty rights!

IanFromHKG
    Participant

Actually, only the other day I was reading an article in my second favourite magazine, which revealed that there are proposals to replace Britannia – just not sponsored by HM Government.

What a waste to use gull’s eggs in an omelette – they are much better soft-boiled or fried, with toast.

Personally, though, I see was disappointed to see that White’s apparently serve their potted shrimps cold – they are so much better hot (and with a hint of garlic).

VintageKrug
    Participant

Garlic would spoil the night at Annabel’s afterwards. Duh. 😉

IanFromHKG
    Participant

Oh, I only ever have potted shrimps at lunchtime. Having them for dinner would just be vulgar.

VintageKrug
    Participant

How strange.

We often used to have them for supper at College, and Nanny encouraged potted shrimp at tea-time (before she was sacked, but that’s a whole other story).

esselle
    Participant

Potted shrimps, served warm with a touch of garlic, would cease to be potted shrimps.

VintageKrug
    Participant

….are warmed, garlic-laden shrimp vulgar, would you say, esselle?

And is the plural of shrimp “shrimp” or “shrimps”? I would err towards the former.

IanFromHKG
    Participant

The follies of youth, VK. I trust you have outgrown these childish habits now 😉

esselle, I beg to differ. They remain potted shrimps, just as smoked salmon doesn’t stop being smoked salmon just because it has been warmed and mixed into a Caesar salad

canucklad
    Participant

I know I have been rebuked by VK in the past for Stanstead, and other misdemeanours of the English language but……

Shrimp is a shrimp is a shrimp…..never shrimps

Can I suggest School of Shrimp or maybe just Shrimp school or if you’re feeling informal a shrimpfest !

And VK is that Annabel’s in Ealing Broadway you’re talking about

VintageKrug
    Participant

It’s pleasing to see the Commonwealth mastering the issue of many shrimp, while some very poor standards on show from garlic-breathed former Commonwealth residents….! 😉

I have never been in a club at the end of a tube line. And can I implore others not to google “Annabel’s Ealing Broadway”. No matter how “spotless” their rooms are.

millionsofmiles
    Participant

Living on the continent, isolated, i cannot contribute to the correct time and way of consumption and not even to the spelling of “Potted Shrimp”.

Just say it is a delicious dish, for lunch and as a starter for dinner.

TerryMcManus24
    Participant

or the Gaslight of St James.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

The Gaslight, that brings back memories! There was also the Directors Lodge nearby. Does that still exist?

esselle
    Participant

Pedantic to the last, potted shrimps, as they are properly known, originate, as a specific recipe, from a bay in Lancashire. Shrimp, in american form, is plural.

And Caeser Salad never, ever, comes with smoked salmon. Or chicken.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 120 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls