Dublin-Orlando

Back to Forum
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

• PatJordan
    Participant

DUB-MCO (Business )

Booking and check in

This is a route we have flown many times, and as always booking on http://www.aerlingus.com is an easy process.

I used Gold Circle points to upgrade my wife’s ticket to business class .The upgrade element of the transaction was made through the Gold Circle help desk. It is always a pleasure to deal with the Gold Circle team: there is always a genuine interest in the customer’s enquiry and the willingness to go that extra mile to assist.

Since our last trip to Orlando (in 2014), Aer Lingus have introduced a number of service enhancements: new business class seats, an arrivals lounge at Dublin Airport, and most recently, access to Dublin Airport’s new 51st and Green Lounge: located after US Customs pre-clearance.

We arrived at Dublin Airport Terminal 2 at 10.30am for our 2.10pm flight.

Thesurface car park which is very close to the terminal buildingis our preferred option for holidays. In fact this car park is almost beside the Aer Lingus check in area: this makes it a very convenient car park for Aer Lingus passengers with bags to check in. When arriving at Dublin, there is a very short walk to this car park from Terminal 2, and when laden with luggage, this is very welcome indeed on a wet and dreary day. It is good value too at 99euro for 14 days when booked in advance.

The Gold Circle/ Business Class check in area is clearly signed, and enclosed within a frosted glass screen.

There only at the one party in front of us at the Gold Circle Check in desk and our bags were taken, marked “Priority” and boarding passes issued within a couple of minutes. The lady on the desk (Ger) was very friendly and in no time at all we were issued boarding passes, luggage tags and wished a pleasant flight.

Ger also took the time to explain that we had use of Fast Track security, and were welcome to use the new 51st and Green lounge. Small details, one might say, but typical of Aer Lingus commitment to enhance the passenger experience.

Fast Track security is clearly marked, and there were two people in front of us. Security staff in Dublin Airport are efficient, and very friendly. We were airside within a couple of minutes.

There is a good range of shops, restaurants once airside, and we had a look around before going to the lounge.

Lounge (Dublin)

The Gold Circle Lounge in Dublin T2 is a large two storey area with good views of the apron. We were warmly welcomed on entering the lounge. When presenting our boarding cards, we were told that access to the 51st & Green lounge is instead of the Gold Circle lounge. However, as this policy has not been fully communicated to staff and passengers, we were invited to sit down and relax for a while. After a short while, we made our way to customs Pre-clearance.

51st & Green Lounge

Given the amount of publicity from about this new lounge, we were looking forward to the experience. However, our experience was somewhat less that our expectations. A separate review is here:

Lounge review: Dublin Airport 51st & Green Lounge

Boarding

Boarding began at 1.00pm, and families with small children followed by business class & Gold Circle passengers were invited to board first.

The Airbus 330 was immaculate and cabin crew warmly welcomed passengers, and guided all to their allocated seats.

The New Business Class cabin has 7 rows of seats, the majority of which are configured 1-2-2. Our allocation was 4H & 4K. The seats have a pitch of 58” and 22” wide. The seat extends to a 6.5 foot fully flat bed.

There is ample storage space. Bottles of water were already in place in a neat cubby hole beside the reading light.

Within minutes of boarding pre-flight drinks were offered : a choice of water, juice or champagne (Jean Pernet). As we were in holiday mode, we both opted for champagne, which hit the spot admirably!

Inflight

The Captain gave a brief welcome and details of flight times, followed by a safety announcement from the cabin crew. We pushed back on time and were airborne quickly.

Before lunch was served, complimentary wi-fi cards were given to all passengers in the cabin, as well as amenity kits (these contain Voya toiletries). The first of several hot towel services was offered also.

Catering

The Aer Lingus website promises:

Restaurant Service
    Our attentive cabin crew serve all your meals on Wedgewood China and are on call to top up your Waterford Crystal glass if you so wish.
    We want you to be able to close your eyes and imagine that you’re in a top restaurant in Ireland (but one where you can slip off your shoes and recline back in your seat.)
    The menu is very good:

https://www.aerlingus.com/experience-aer-lingus/flying-business/luxury-dining/business-menu-westbound/#p=1

The presentation is every bit as good as promised. Crisp white linen covers the tray, and both cutlery and crockery are a delight to view.

The canapés were served in a neat little dish.

Our starter was Toons Bridge mozzarella salad, with tomato and pesto. A very pleasant appetizer and quite a generous portion.

We both opted for Fillet of Beef for our main course. The beef was tender and flavoursome, and was absolutely delicious.

Apple and cinnamon crunch with a jug of fresh cream rounded off the meal admirably.

Aer Lingus website promises the fusion of the finest modern and traditional Irish food. Having had such a superb meal, I can honestly say that Aer Lingus deliver on this promise. The service is attentive and most pleasant, and makes for a thoroughly enjoyable dining experience.

Entertainment

There is a good range of films, TV, Radio programmes on demand, but I didn’t take full advantage of this, opting instead to read my book (Dark Forces: the latest thriller from Stephen Leather). The seat controls are easy to master, and I made myself (very) comfortable and read for a couple of hours.

My wife made full use of the Entertainment system and watched a couple of films.

The seat reclines fully, and the dark duvets ensure a good sleep. I had a short nap and awoke feeling quite refreshed.

During the flight, there is a selection of drinks and snacks at the galley.

About an hour and a half before landing, afternoon tea was served. This consisted of

• Healthy power salad: mixed seeds, carrot, couscous, spinach and pulses
    • Warm scones with kerrygold irish butter and Helen Gee’s Strawberry jam
    • Tea or coffee

Again, this was served on a nicely arranged tray. At first, I thought Power salad was a unusual inclusion in Afternoon Tea. However it works well, and hit the spot nicely!

We landed in Orlando ahead of schedule, and after a lengthy taxi were on stand. Commendably, Orlando International Airport makes regular announcements directing Aer Lingus passengers to their designated baggage collection area. When stepping off the aircraft initially, a wave of warm air greets you before reaching the air conditioned terminal building. Definitely an appropriate welcome to the Sunshine State!

Baggage Collection

As we were amongst the first off the aircraft, and as there was no delay whatever in going to the baggage collection area, there was a short wait for the first bags to arrive. However, it was only five minutes till the first bags appeared, and these were the business class bags. From leaving the aircraft to car hire desk took only 20 minutes: this is very good indeed.

CONCLUSION

This was a most enjoyable flight. Aer Lingus Business Class is a high quality product, and our experience was enhanced by a very professional and pleasant crew. Cabin crew dealt with an almost full business cabin yet made sure that passengers’ needs were met in an unobtrusive but friendly way.

The food is very well presented, of high quality and the new seat very comfortable for this long haul flight.

JohnHarper
    Participant

Pat, thank you, an excellent review as always.

canucklad
    Participant

Great review Pat, it’s good to see an airline taking in-flight catering seriously.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Great review Pat.

I wonder if it would not be too intrusive with flight reviews, for the ticket cost to be mentioned. I use DUB-MCO (but via PHL or NYC) and it would be interesting to compare costs.

1nfrequent
    Participant

Another great review, Pat. You’ve certainly converted me – I’m looking at Aer Lingus for a planned trip to MCO in 2018. Hopefully by then it might even be possible to do it with Avios … 🙂

1F

PatJordan
    Participant

Thanks all for your kind comments.

Martyn,

my ticket cost circa 1,750euro return, booked in February, non flexible.

Safe travels all,

Pat

FDOS_UK
    Participant

Superb review, Pat, BT should hire you to write these for them.

icenspice
    Participant

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kqlzitlpj3urwt5/20160913_161546.jpg?dl=0

Look what I just found on the balcony, Pat. I swear.

Beef looks delish ?

PatJordan
    Participant

FDOS, l’d be more than happy to write for BT. Thanks for the compliment. And if Tom would like me to do anything for BT, I’d be delighted.

icenspice, the beef was indeed lovely. Like the plant…if you could grow a few more, I imagine Michael O’Leary would buy them to enhance the ambience of his office!!!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls