Dublin Airport Security Screening

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

• PatJordan
    Participant

Several months ago when Air travel was beginning to increase Dublin Airport came in for a lot of criticism for lengthy queues at Security Screening. So bad were the wait times that many passengers missed flights. Dublin Airport management came in for much criticism and as part of their response, announced immediate recruitment of additional screening staff.

Several months later, Dublin Airport are still trying to recruit screening staff….

Once upon a time, working at a major airport in any capacity was a highly sought after occupation, so what has changed I wondered.

Airport screening is a very responsible position with a high level of training and Police vetting necessary to be appointed to the role.

However, the terms and conditions on offer fall below those which one would expect to reflect this responsibility:

Guaranteed 20 hours per week on offer, but candidates must be available to work up to 40hours per
    week. This includes late nights, early mornings, weekends.

14.14euro per hour (inclusive of shift premium) which equates to 282.80euro per week.

In all honesty, I cannot understand how Dublin Airport can expect to attract (and retain) high calibre candidates for this important role, and let’s be real here, the screening personnel play a vital role in keeping us safe when flying.

It is little wonder that they have been advertising for several months.

To put this in context, the School Warden (aka lollipop man/lady) on whom we rely to ensure the safety of children going to and from school are paid 50% more.

As with many others on the forum, I have been highly critical of airport screening staff over the years. If the terms and conditions offered at Dublin Airport are the industry norm, I think I will be a little more understanding when waiting to be screened.

What say other posters?

6 users thanked author for this post.

TominScotland
    Participant

Pat, you make some really good points here – thank you.

I am not an air transport economist but, looking at the indicators available from the outside, aspects of the business appear to be really challenging to operate at break-even let alone profitably, especially in the present environment.

As it so happens, I have just booked to fly to Dublin on a day return from Glasgow in a couple of weeks time for family business. My return fare is £15.98….. How far can you travel by train for that? How much of that goes to the two airports (GLA and DUB)? I suspect that when I am security checked, it will be at a loss to the airport.

So, to a certain extent we as air transport users (and the same applies to hotels, restaurants etc.) are responsible for the low wages paid to staff (security staff, room attendants, waiting personnel) because of the low fares/ rates/ deals we buy into.

Answers? I wish I had some……

2 users thanked author for this post.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

[quote quote=1204372]14.14euro per hour (inclusive of shift premium)[/quote]

Pat – the harsh reality, I pay about the same to my home cleaner and shirt ironing service… Professional airport security services, I would like to think, are worth more….

4 users thanked author for this post.

PatJordan
    Participant

I normally tend to take tabloid papers with a pinch of salt, but perhaps this article has more than a ring of truth…..

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/early-morning-passengers-warn-dublin-26489791?int_source=nba

I sympathise with the passengers so affected, I can only wonder at the ineptitude of Dublin Airport management for allowing this (totally foreseeable) mess to
    happen.

Easter Weekend is not far away, is it too much to expect that Dublin Airport management will have sufficient staff on duty to avoid further bedlam???

Only time will tell.

1 user thanked author for this post.

PatJordan
    Participant

This story appeared this morning:

https://www.rte.ie/news/2022/0529/1301834-dublin-airport/

It beggars belief that Dublin Airport Management couldn’t see this coming. Is there no accountability for such (mis)management?

Stay safe everybody,

Pat

PatJordan
    Participant

On top of the much reported security delays at Dublin Airport, there’s this worrying story:

https://www.newstalk.com/news/guns-and-bombs-smuggled-into-dublin-airport-1345922

About two months ago Dublin Airport invited applications for the position of Security Training Instructor. Having this position filled would (one would imagine) lead to more trained Security staff being in place, and consequent efficiencies in screening processes.

It is concerning to note that as of this morning, this position remains open to applications. Given the apparent importance of this role, it beggars belief that Dublin Airport have not yet filled the position.

Safe travels,

Pat

PatJordan
    Participant

Alex, Having read the following article, I fear that what may have seemed “good news” might be a little optimistic:

https://www.thejournal.ie/dublin-airport-queue-warning-miss-flights-5777293-May2022/

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Dublin airport estimates that over 1,000 travellers missed their flights yesterday.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2022/0530/1301929-dublin-airport-queues-flights/

SwissExPat
    Participant

I’ve been following the media reports as I often use DUB.

One of the local investigative Journalists discovered from a source in the Security screening crew was that there is a reluctance of security staff to work overtime at the moment because they had not been paid prior overtime due to an “error” with the Payroll System. This is outsourced to a payroll company and the “error” was cause by an external Hacker earlier in the year.

Apparently, there were 16 security staff as unexpected “no shows” on Sunday morning (illness etc) and there were no persons available for overtime. That plus PAX arriving extra early caused the event.

If there was any bright side to the event was that it wasn’t raining outside…. Then a lot of PAX would have gotten very wet.

However, expected volumes this coming weekend are close to 100,000 PAX and the system will be under stress again.

SimonS1
    Participant

1,000 people missing their flights? That is a total disgrace.

Even basic modelling should show to that degree of tolerance that the airport did not have capacity to handle the volume of passengers booked to travel.

5 users thanked author for this post.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Now DUB is looking to have a “holding area” for those travellers who arrive too early.

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2022/0601/1302351-airport-committee/

PatJordan
    Participant

More tales of woe from the the CEO:

https://www.independent.ie/life/travel/travel-news/dublin-airport-chief-flew-through-vip-service-last-saturday-as-passengers-were-faced-with-huge-security-queues-41709860.html

Some candidates in the Security Screening recruitment process who met all the vetting requirements turned down their job offers because of only 20 hours per week was guaranteed. Has any thought been given to approaching these individuals with a view to offering full time hours? If only a small number accepted such an offer, it would go some (albeit small) way towards alleviating the staff shortage which is being touted as the root cause of the problem.

Or am I being too simplistic in my thinking???

4 users thanked author for this post.

SimonS1
    Participant

[quote quote=1215928]Or am I being too simplistic in my thinking???[/quote]

The difficulty Pat is too many CEOs are so up themselves that simple things get missed or they end up tripping themselves up.

Holland-Kaye is just as bad – whining incessantly through Covid about the need to get things moving but falling over when they do.

I don’t have a lot of time for Grant Shapps but he is right that the airports were quick to take the furlough money but now the economy is open again they have just collapsed.

Polly
    Participant

Came out of Dublin yesterday. Fast track was a joke. Queues in general moved faster than FT. Security were very polite and cheerful in terrible work conditions. V short staffed, but kept going. 1 hr queue there.
    Then DAA lounge in T2 was closed, so again long queues for entry. Lots denied entry, gave up and left. We waited over half hour as had a 4 yo g’ son with us, and needed a quiet area.
    We even thanked security for their time and effort. 8 hours from door to door for a 1 hour flight from north of Dublin. To Surrey. Unreal.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls