Dublin airport now suffering like Manchester

Back to Forum
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• AMcWhirter
    Participant

Lack of staffing at Dublin has meant lengthy lengthy security queues with some travellers missing flights.

https://www.independent.ie/news/dublin-airport-delays-consumer-group-calls-on-minister-to-take-immediate-action-41495243.html

Ryanai advises of three hour check-in.

PatJordan
    Participant

For once I find myself in agreement with Ryanair: the current delays at Dublin Airport are directly due to DAAs’ failure to recruit candidates of a sufficient calibre for the Airport Search Unit. I posted the following thread recently.

Dublin Airport Security Screening

DAA have been constantly seeking applications for their Airport Search Unit for many months: surely this alone should indicate a serious problem.

Only time will tell if a solution will be found for this impasse.

PatJordan
    Participant

Dublin Airport management are reported as suspending the Fast Track security:

https://www.ie/news/dublin-airport-suspends-sale-of-new-fast-track-passes-as-queue-chaos-continues-41498563.html

However their email to customers says it is temporarily “sold out”:

Dear Patrick,

As you may already be aware, the Fast Track service we sell online on dublinairport.com is temporarily sold out.

If you have a confirmed future booking for Fast Track, the service will be open and operational for your forthcoming journey.

If you have an existing booking, you can cancel online on the Manage My Booking page, up to a maximum of 6 hours before your selected booking entry time. You can also contact Travel Services by email [email protected] or by telephone +353 1 944 2020 to cancel the booking, but again it must be up to 6 hours before your selected booking entry time.

We apologise for any inconvenience caused, and we will inform you of any changes or updates to this by email or we will publish on dublinairport.com enhance your journey page.

Kind regards,

The Dublin Airport Travel Services Team

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Today DUB is advising passengers to arrive 3.5 hours before departure.

If driving to the airport they are advised to add an extra 30 mins.

So allowing four hours to check-in reminds me of the chaotic situation at BER (Berlin) last year when Lufthansa suggested its customers check in four hours before departure.

Ironically if customers were to take the ICE train to Frankfurt instead they would arrive before the Lufthansa flight !

https://www.independent.ie/life/travel/travel-news/dublin-airport-advises-passengers-to-arrive-three-and-a-half-hours-before-flights-41522697.html

PatJordan
    Participant

Reports of passengers being asked to queue outside Dublin Airport this morning:

https://www.independent.ie/news/passengers-asked-to-queue-outside-dublin-airport-terminal-buildings-this-morning-41536551.html

The constant hand wringing from Dublin Airport Management is becoming tedious: surely it was apparent that once travel restrictions were lifted that passenger numbers would increase, with the consequent need for additional screening staff to meet this need.

Therefore allowing for the time for necessary training of searching staff, recruitment should have begun months ago, with the terms & conditions on offer sufficient to attract (and retain) candidates of the calibre required to render effective service.

Or am I being too simplistic on my opinion??

MartynSinclair
    Participant

[quote quote=1209305]Therefore allowing for the time for necessary training of searching staff, recruitment should have begun months ago, with the terms & conditions on offer sufficient to attract (and retain) candidates of the calibre required to render effective service.[/quote]

Pat – as I mentioned in an earlier thread, perhaps the recruitment problem is more about the wages than the work itself. I highlighted the going hourly rate for a cleaner is higher than the Dublin airport security role.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Much congestion along withe delays at UK airports this weekend.

But UK is not alone.

The situation at Dublin is so bad that the airport tweeted this advice today.

TominScotland
    Participant

Yes, scenes at Dublin Airport appear to be challenging!!

The main difference between Dublin and UK aiurports is that the airport and airlines are acting to ensure that passengers who miss their flights are compensated. I have not seen this commitment from Manchester, Birmingham etc.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2022/0529/1301834-dublin-airport/

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls