Dubai’s not so smart ‘smart gates’

Back to Forum
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• frustratedflyer
    Participant

I have been to Dubai a few times in the last couple of months. On all occasions I had problems leaving! It seems that Dubai’s immigration system can only cope with people with one passport and I have 2. So I can enter Dubai on either passport but when I go to leave either by a smartgate or manned desked I get sent off to the immigration officials! On my last trip I got to the bottom of it. My face is registered against one passport and whilst the second passport will let me in to the conutry when I leave my face will bring up the first one and as they don’t much I can’t get processed.

I have now been told only to use the one passport my face is registered against and also that I can no longer use the smart gates. So much for technology!

1 user thanked author for this post.

SGJNI1961
    Participant

Common sense if you ask me and I also have two passports. Enter and leave with the same one, simples! Think you will find the technology will work just fine, or use a human!

1 user thanked author for this post.

frustratedflyer
    Participant

That is the point! You can’t! It stores one of your passports and then you cannot use your other one as it always remembers the one you first used and therfore gets confused!

cybertravller
    Participant

Why would you enter a country with one passport and try to exit with another? I understand that in the case of South Africa, if you are a dual national, you are required to enter and exit the country on your SA passport.

This seems to cause confusion for immigration and problems for you.

frustratedflyer
    Participant

I didn’t!!! The point is the system remembers one of your passports against your face so if that passport is away getting a visa and you then try and use your second passport on the next trip to go in and out the system will not let you as it remembers the one you used previously. It lets you in but stops you on the way out and you get sent to the office and it takes about 25 mins to get things sorted.

DavidSmith2
    Participant

It does get tricky sometimes. I have a UK passport and a UN passport. I have to (and can only) use the UN one for business travel. But at the same time, that is the one which contains my Ghana residence permit. So if I fly Accra-London, I have to fly on my UK passport on personal trips to the UK, but when I return, I have to use my UN one as I am going to my place of work. It often causes some confusion but we do not yet have working e-gates in Accra so I can explain to a human. To date it has always been resolved with a minimum of fuss.

ChrisWallace
    Participant

All and frustrated flier, I also have 2 passports which work universally except when trying to enter Blighty! No matter the airport – LHR, LGW, BHX, MAN, BRS neither of my passports work at the automatic gates. As a result I have to queue up every time after being screamed & shouted at by airport staff who insist I have to try and use the automatic gates. It really isn’t the 21st century travel for me!

TominScotland
    Participant

I am also a dual passport holder although I only use Number 2 (German) when travelling in and out of the Schengen area. I am required by law to use my German passport when in Germany but always leave and enter the UK on my British one. The value of a EU passport entering and leaving Schengen cannot be overstated – I always cast a sympathetic (not) eye to the generally long UK queue in places like Amsterdam and Oslo where I travel regularly.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls