Dubai Hotel Fire

Back to Forum
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

• Anonymous

TominScotland
    Participant

Our thoughts must be with those who might be affected by the major fire in The Address Downtown, Dubai. Reports say no casualties which would be a miracle.

Very odd (and very Dubai) that the New Year fireworks celebration is planned to go ahead as scheduled.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

peter19
    Participant

Sitting watching it on tv myself before heading out this evening. Found it very surprising that they went ahead with so many people close by in the area with debris falling as its all in close proximity.
    A couple of my friends who live near by are all safe which is good and the casualty numbers being low which is as you say tomin is a miracle.

Safe NY to all wherever you all are.

PeterCoultas
    Participant

bizarre that such a building would burn like that – design faults?…. but equally bizarre, given the inferno that developed, that the response was so effective & injuries are so minimal…an impressive response

MartynSinclair
    Participant

“Quite frankly we were in the hotel and we had no idea where to go”

This is a quote from a guest who escaped…

(http://news.sky.com/story/1614901/briton-carries-mum-out-of-burning-dubai-hotel).

I wonder how many of us look for the fire escape when checking into a high rise hotel for the first time…

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

I was told by a pilot that the first thing he did when he checked in a hotel was walk his route to fresh air, even if it meant checking the fire door was open and the stairs down unobstructed. As a result I’ve always done it when I get to my room. I check the map on the back of the door, and then walk to the recommended exit to check I can find it. The idea being that in the middle of the night when I wake, at least I will have actually been that way once.

peter19
    Participant

I remember when I stayed in ME a few years ago, A building in the JLT area went up and escalated on the outside of the building. Cars were burnt out below from the debris falling. At the time it was a layer of plastic material that assisted with the escalation which they may be saying is the same design on the address hotel and may explain the speed at which it developed.

Sitting in a hotel today 18 floors up I have rechecked the route on the back of the door! Pretty scary.

There was a report on CNN of a chap who took his disabled mother on his back down the stairs but another report of somebody else who was disabled but much higher up. It’s amazing there were not more casualties.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I must admit I rarely check where the fire exits are and I always request a high floor.

Time for a new year resolution I think?

GivingupBA
    Participant

MartynSinclair, you said “I wonder how many of us look for the fire escape when checking into a high rise hotel for the first time…”

I do, for one: ditto on planes. But all joking aside, within 30 minutes I’ve forgotten the way, and in a serious fire I’d be even worse – probably in a complete panic.

StephenLondon
    Participant

According to some architect friends, most buildings in Dubai have the black plastic / bitumen covering for waterproofing. Sadly, it can burn quite easily, and you can see the amazing speed which the Downtown Address fire spread. This is the third such building fire in Dubai in recent months, and is a major concern. No doubt the authorities will hush things up, which is even more worrying.

As for scoping out an exit, this is part of my hotel stay. A colleague in Manchester found two of his exits blocked with stacked furniture behind doors, which shows how important testing your exit can be. Also, a corporate safety course advises us to put pure essential items on the floor by our shoes at night…passport, keys, wallet, so you aren’t fiddling with a safe in the dark with alarms going off, etc. Every second counts in a fire. Get out fast, ask questions later!

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Quite right.

In the case of an aircraft fire, on a course I was told to count the numbers of seats to the nearest exit by putting my hand on the top of the seat, row by row. If the aircraft filed with smoke you’d have to keep your eyes closed to get out, but could feel your way to the exit by counting the seats.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Came across this clip.. its a ships cook (Harrison Okene), who was found in an overturned ship after 2.5 days.

The connection with this thread is the vision through the water is probably similar to the vision in a smoke filled high rise hotel. Listen also to the calmness of the rescue team.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BKWmVVHt5c

This thread is certainly a lot more than a money saving tip…

PeterCoultas
    Participant

MartynS: impressive rescue

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls