Drunk pilot removed from BA flight

Back to Forum
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

• EasternPedlar
    Participant

Ref the evening standard story today about the pilot being taken off the BA flight to Mauritius ( I tried unsuccessfully to post the link), how did he even get to the plane in this condition ? Are no checks carried out when crew report for duty ?

Frederic
    Participant

Here is a link to a Daily Mail article, puzzling that it was discovered so late by the crew that the pilot was drunk, it should have been noticed during pre-flight briefing … ???

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5290933/Drunk-British-Airways-pilot-hauled-Gatwick-flight.html

FDOS_UK
    Participant

Gentleman

Firstly, can we remember that this gentleman is innocent, until proven guilty of the allegation.

Secondly, comments such as

how did he even get to the plane in this condition ? Are no checks carried out when crew report for duty ?

the pilot was drunk, it should have been noticed during pre-flight briefing

display a very high level of ignorance – the blood alcohol limit for flight crew is 20mg/100ml, that is 1/4 of the driving limit, which is 80mg/100ml in England – to put that in perspective it could be the equivalent of drinking one quarter of a small glass of wine one hour before (there is no solid way to calculate this).

The point is that with a legal limit of 20mg you don’t need to be anywhere near mildly drunk to be well over it.

The police breathlysers are nowhere near accurate enough to get such a fine reading, further tests at the police station will be required to establish if an offence was committed (and it if was, the law should take its course).

The facts will come out in due course – I hope that the gentleman in question or the airline does not decide to sue you for libel – using a handle on here gives you zero protection and BT could also be jointly liable.

EasternPedlar
    Participant

FDOS, do you have a personal interest here? Else, your comments make no sense.

First, the man was dragged off the plane in handcuffs by British police officers at Gatwick. I doubt that they’d do anything of the sort without serious cause for concern. Yes, guilt will eventually have to be proven in court, but there must have been strong circumstantial evidence for the police to act as they did. Further, the police responded to a 999 call from another crew member, so obviously there something about this man’s behaviour that attracted attention. My original point remains valid – how is it that this behaviour or issue was not picked up when the man reported for duty.

As for being sued, that is a laugh. The item was widely reported in the press, including the BBC, and is in newspapers and websites all over the world – and in mutltiple languages!

FDOS_UK
    Participant

Eastern Pedlar

I have no other interest that that of someone who wishes to be fair minded and avoid a mob mentality, such as that demonstrated in both of your posts.

The legal process is in motion, wildly speculating and dramatic interventions are not required.

EasternPedlar
    Participant

FDOS

There is no mob mentality. I believe that, as someone who uses this airline extensively, I am entitled to express my concern. Whatever prompted the police to remove this man from the aircraft, especially since he was called out by a crew member, should have been picked up before he got onto the plane. BA owes its stakeholders an explanation.

CathayLoyalist2
    Participant

Before we hang this BA pilot out to dry I recall a similar incident of a Virgin pilot similarly dragged from the cockpit in cuffs, I doubt he was dragged but the media love to embellish a story. It subsequently turned out to be a reaction to some medication he was taking and he was not drunk. The pilot later received a personal apology from Sir RB and the pilots career continued unblemished. Mistakes happen so let´s wait and see.

CathayLoyalist2
    Participant

As an addendum to my post above I fail to see how any of the posts “reported for inappropriate content” get anywhere close to that threshold. Did someone have a bad day?

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=847372]Before we hang this BA pilot out to dry I recall a similar incident of a Virgin pilot similarly dragged from the cockpit in cuffs, I doubt he was dragged but the media love to embellish a story. It subsequently turned out to be a reaction to some medication he was taking and he was not drunk. The pilot later received a personal apology from Sir RB and the pilots career continued unblemished. Mistakes happen so let´s wait and see.
    [/quote]

Thank you CathayLoyalist2, a very well made point.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=847373]As an addendum to my post above I fail to see how any of the posts “reported for inappropriate content” get anywhere close to that threshold. Did someone have a bad day?
    [/quote]

I reported two comments

Here is a link to a Daily Mail article, puzzling that it was discovered so late by the crew that the pilot was drunk, it should have been noticed during pre-flight briefing … ???

I felt this one was inappropriate as it asserted that the pilot was drunk (this is by far from certain, we do not even know if he was over the aviation limit).

FDOS, do you have a personal interest here? Else, your comments make no sense.

I reported this one as being appropriate, as it is a personal attack on my integrity, which I do not feel was warranted by my unbiased and fact based post that drew this poster’s wrath.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

I’ve deleted the last few comments on this one.

Thread is open.

handbag
    Participant

[quote quote=847347]Here is a link to a Daily Mail article, puzzling that it was discovered so late by the crew that the pilot was drunk, it should have been noticed during pre-flight briefing … ???
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5290933/Drunk-British-Airways-pilot-hauled-Gatwick-flight.html
    [/quote]. There are no physical checks on alcohol levels prior to flying, although random checks can be made. Ex base Cabin Crew and Flight Crew do not always stay in same hotel. The ex base briefing is on the bus, so this can be joint Flight and Cabin Crew or separate. Sometimes a Fligt or Cabin Crew member will not leave from Hotel with rest of Crew and will meet and be briefed at airport. International Crew always meet at airport.

As you can see from above , regardless of the individual being discusse , out of base the situation is different than from London where we all meet in one
    room prior to flight.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls