Hotel hygiene: Drinking from the toilet

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)

• Linyilee
    Participant

[quote quote=843881]In Hengli Town, about 20 mins from Changping station, first stop on the HK-GZ through trian[/quote]

I have an apartment in Liaobu
    And have discovered winners and one for the road
    Let me know the name and I’ll try and find you next time I’m out there.
    Sorry to everyone else for being off topic.

stevescoots
    Participant

[quote quote=843887]

In Hengli Town, about 20 mins from Changping station, first stop on the HK-GZ through trian

I have an apartment in Liaobu And have discovered winners and one for the road Let me know the name and I’ll try and find you next time I’m out there. Sorry to everyone else for being off topic.
    [/quote]

Well you found mine!, Winners. if you have been in a few times we may well have met!

nevereconomy
    Participant

I do have to add that in 40 odd years of travelling in many countries without observing any special sanitary standards like fellow posters, other than frequently washing my hands, I have only twice had a food related illness and both times in the
    most ulikely places with very high standards- Germany and Singapore !!

stevescoots
    Participant

[quote quote=843912]I do have to add that in 40 odd years of travelling in many countries without observing any special sanitary standards like fellow posters, other than frequently washing my hands, I have only twice had a food related illness and both times in the most ulikely places with very high standards- Germany and Singapore !!
    [/quote]

myself as well, apart from using bottled water to drink in the places its recommended i have been struck 3 times in 15 years, ones in San Francisco at a chinese resturant and twice in HK on oysters, at a place i often frequent, but then oysters are a bit like russian roulette

PeterCoultas
    Participant

Not only in hotels….was enjoying my (upmarket) Nile Cruise until I discovered all kitchen cleaning was carried out directly in the Nile…

IanFromHKG
    Participant

That’s just one reason why we travel with these. They are completely flexible so you can crush them flat for packing, and they just spring back into shape – and they are better for drinking wine than water glasses!

CathayLoyalist2
    Participant

I know of other examples of this going back years so nothing really new. That said how many of us merrily dip our fingers into the nuts bowl on a pub/ hotel bar without a thought as to how many other people from various cultural backgrounds who do not wash hands!!. Lets not forget what a UK University founds when they took a London Tube Train seat apart . It made the glass /toilet cleaning issue almost irrelevant

stevescoots
    Participant

[quote quote=844747]I know of other examples of this going back years so nothing really new. That said how many of us merrily dip our fingers into the nuts bowl on a pub/ hotel bar without a thought as to how many other people from various cultural backgrounds who do not wash hands!!. Lets not forget what a UK University founds when they took a London Tube Train seat apart . It made the glass /toilet cleaning issue almost irrelevant
    [/quote]

I remember watching a “thats life” article (who remembers that programme!) years ago that covered bar nuts etc. never touched them since unless they open the bag in front of me. Same goes for bottled water and beers

capetonianm
    Participant

I always clean the gear lever and steering wheel of rental cars with a tissue or wet-wipe before driving off.

What always strikes me as odd is that whilst many of us wash our hands after going to the toilet, if it’s in a public place, we then open the door by touching the handle or push panel that unknown numbers of dirty hands have touched. I make sure I keep a piece of loo paper or tissue for that purpose, otherwise washing hands is pointless.

canucklad
    Participant

So capetonianm, you’ve just mentioned my almost all time pet hate.

Why are public toilet doors designed so that you push to enter but pull to leave? Infuriating, even more so when you watch a Neanderthal skulk out a cubicle straight to the door !!

Having said that, I’m definitely in the “we’ve only ourselves to blame” camp, when we fall foul of tummy bugs when we travel.
    Though, I still boil the hotel room kettle and rinse the cutlery and crockery, regardless of the hotel or it’s location.

Poshgirl58
    Participant

Capetonianm and Canucklad, it’s one of my pet hates too.

Many years ago, I stood queued to use the ladies toilet at a bar in Cyprus. Of the seven women in front of me, only two washed their hands when they emerged from the cubicle. The toilet was upstairs and the main door was always propped open, so the banister would the first thing they touched. That was when I began to carry spare tissues, which I drop into the nearest bin. It’s not just when travelling either. I’ve experienced this in shops, restaurants and office buildings.

The other story I can relate is about one of my close relatives. She freely admitted to not washing her hands after “passing water” as she believed it was pure. Another close relative soon put her right with the comment “if it’s pure why do people get infections in that area”. Sorry, if anyone’s eating whilst reading this!!

Finally, I also recall a discussion with a fellow passenger, whilst we waited to board a flight. She complained that the hotel had made her ill. When I suggested that it was probably her fellow guests and their poor personal hygiene, she found it difficult to believe as “women wouldn’t do that”.

capetonianm
    Participant

I understand that you cannot get an infection from your own urine.

If the place is really dirty, for example some airport toilets, I sometimes forego washing my hands after a pee on the basis that the part of my body and my clothes that I have touched in order to do this are probably cleaner than the taps, basins, etc. Added to which, I generally manage to do this without peeing on my hands.

There have also been times when I have sat almost bursting rather than use the filthy toilets on some aircraft.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Interestingly.. the public toilets on the QM2, encourage you to open the loo door with a piece of tissue…

Craig Bright

About a year later and looks like some hotels still haven’t changed…

Chinese hotels’ dirty secrets exposed: same towels used on toilets and drinking cups

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls