Downgraded on BA Flight to India. Advice on First or Business Class.

Back to Forum
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• OldHighFlyer
    Participant

I am flying to Mumbai in February wife my wife for our 25th wedding anniversary. As a special treat I booked first class.

I have subsequently found out that the flight we booked (BA 199) has a change of configuration so there is no first class and I have the options of going on an earlier flight First Class or staying on the Booked Flight but going Business Class.

(BA didn’t have the courtesy to tell me and as yet has offered me no compensation).

The timing of the flight with no First Class is better for me. My concern is whether a plane without First Class will be sold old that even business class wont be very nice. If that is the situation I will go on the earlier flight.

Any advice?

SimonS1
    Participant

Quite the opposite in fact. BA’s newest planes (A350) are being delivered without F. You might have a newer/better model.

These days I would take business and a partial refund. There is a reason why people refer to BA First as the best business class around and the brand new business cabin on the A350 looks smart.

I imagine the lack of communication is because the flight is 6 months off and there may be further changes.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

[quote quote=952141]My concern is whether a plane without First Class will be sold old that even business class wont be very nice.[/quote]

What a world we live in… 🙂

From my perspective I would avoid a window seat on the 777 that has no window within the real estate. It can feel claustrophobic. You may actually benefit from business class over F as you are likely to be facing one another rather than side by side.

Congrats on your first 25 years…

OldHighFlyer
    Participant

Firstly thank for your advice.

After escalating within BA I finally spoke to someone who knew what they were talking about and clearly defined my options. Downgrade and get a significant refund or go on an earlier flight with a fisrt class.

I have been told that the plane will be a 777/200. We are not flying out till February and apparently all the 777’s will have the seats upgraded by the end of year. I assume this means the new Business Class seats. The BA web site says something different ‘Club Suite will be rolled out across the London Heathrow long haul fleet and by the end of 2019, four A350s and two Boeing 777 aircraft will be flying with Club Suite.’

On those grounds I will take the refund and enjoy the Business Class.

It would have been so much easier if BA had written to me and set out the options.

SimonS1
    Participant

You might find this thread helpful.

I believe some of the 777s have been refurbished but do not have the new J cabins installed.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1816768-seating-guide-boeing-777-a-40.html

Swissdiver
    Participant

The experience shows retrofitting takes ages in large airlines. So you’d be lucky to have the new seat. Thad said, I love the current business class product when travelling with Ms. SD as it gives me the opportunity to dine in front of her, comfortably.

philsquares
    Participant

SimonS1….just a point of clarification on the configuration of the A350. The first ones, can’t remember how many, will not have F installed. However, there are some A350s which will have F installed and will be operated as 4 class flights.

1 user thanked author for this post.

OldHighFlyer
    Participant

Thanks SimonS1

The link was really useful and interesting. I am learning huge amounts. How strange that BA might ‘refresh’ the cabins but retain the old layout!

Thanks also to everyone else.

Best

Paul

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls