Downgrade

Back to Forum
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• ChrisSimp
    Participant

Hi All,
    Just a query really.
    Bought four first class tickets, LHR/MIA some months ago. Had an e-mail recently saying the return has been downgraded to Business.
    No compensation or proper apology even.
    Change of plane type it looks like.

Then occurred to me that not only are we downgraded, we won’t get the same status rewards, miles etc.
    Recently upgraded a future Business ticket to HKG, one way, and they charged me £800.
    Don’t want to be a moaner but any suggestions?
    All best,
    C

1 user thanked author for this post.

TimFitzgeraldTC
    Participant

OK do you have dates for the affected flight. Looks like BA only operating 3 class 777’s on many dates.

However BA1518 operated by AA should still be operating daily and still scheduled with F. They should reprotect you to this for free if they have seats. Will mean a AA operated flight? Other option is for an indirect option back via JFK or ORD perhaps.

Otherwise the normal policy they advise the “trade” is that you can’t cancel and get a refund – but only a refund between the 2 cabin levels. You’ll only get TP’s / Avios as per J Class cabin code used if you accept J. Frankly I’m amazed they can try and not refund if you don’t accept the downgrade anymore.

ASK1945
    Participant

[quote quote=1147622]Frankly I’m amazed they can try and not refund if you don’t accept the downgrade anymore.[/quote]

Tim

Assuming that either he can’t swap to AA (if he booked on BA) or there isn’t an alternative if he booked with another sirline, I am amazed that he cannot get a refund for the difference in price between the First and Business Class travel under general consumer law. He paid for four tickets in one service and is not being offered this, but a lower service.

How is this different to any other transaction?

TimFitzgeraldTC
    Participant

Apologies if my post wasn’t clear:

They won’t offer a full refund of the tickets if ChrisSimp decided he now wanted to cancel outright (and explore alternative options potentially). They’ll only offer a refund between fare paid and the new fare for Business Class (which as those who know how BA “price” these things may not amount to much).

They should offer the BA1518 (assuming it has enough seats) as they revenue share with AA so this should not be an issue.

Other option is to check dates around original dates booked in case other services are operating with F on BA.

ASK1945
    Participant

Thanks for the clarification Tim.

Of course, we don’t actually know whether Chris booked with BA.

JCB2
    Participant

I hope you get a 777 as we just came back on ba208 from Mia to Lhr on A380 and this plane was really showing it’s age!!! Both the foot rests on our seats were broken, the Tv screens would not stay in place, my wife could not get her tray to open, the storage bins at window seat (upper deck) were either stuck shut or kept opening. The service was not up to standard. We were told no champagne! Breakfast was shocking a egg ham & leak wrap (with grit)

DavidSmith2
    Participant

[quote quote=1163819]I hope you get a 777[/quote]

All things are relative. We came back on a 777-200 from London to Accra last night. Pre-COVID this was a 747 and since last year has often been an A350. I have to say I always hope they’ll substitute it with a 350, but not last night. The 777 has the old business class with footstool and the feeling, if you are in an isle seat, that you will roll into the isle as soon as you close your eyes.

Obviously a newer or refurbed 777 would make it a very different proposition but I dream of the 350 here. Still, at least we got back within half hour of schedule, with negative PCRs and LFTs, and home safely with all the Xmas shopping. That’s the main thing!

2 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls