Don’t trust Singapore Airlines

Back to Forum
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

• HarryF
    Participant

I was booked business class London to Bali flying via Singapore with a matching return flight itinerary. Whilst checking flight times etc, I discovered Singapore Airlines had ‘deleted’ my Bali-Singapore return flight…in spite of numerous telephone calls, emails, Singapore Airlines did absolutely NOTHING to either re-instate my flight or offer an alternative. I was forced to buy a new ticket on a different airline to get me Singapore.
    As a inveterate traveller for 60 years, this was the worst experience I have ever encountered. I will NEVER EVER trust Singapore Airlines again…

MartynSinclair
    Participant

HarryF .. I like how you used the word “trust” instead of “fly” in your last sentence.

As an experienced traveller, surely you would have had your own flight confirmation documents to evidence you had a confirmed and paid for return leg, Bali to Singapore.

How did Singapore explain the missing sector? Was the ticket issued as a round ticket?

HarryF
    Participant

Yes yes..I have full documentation of course….itinerary confirmed…flight paid for…Singapore Airlines confirmed a computer fault deleted my flight but in spite of numerous attempts to sort this out w SA, they have done absolutely nothing…I have been trying to reach someone, anyone and I am ignored, fobbed off, cut off and in principal I am stranded!!
    What on earth can I do?? It’s hard to believe this is even possible…..

KaviK
    Participant

I had a very similar incident, where I booked from Macau (first leg being Scoot) to Delhi. Now since I am unable to book through the website from Macau, I called them and booked it and got the itinerary and paid all in full through my CC on the phone.
    Everything was well confirmed and sorted. Until I came to the airport and found out that my booking was not in the system. So apparently the booking on the scoot system didn’t have my name on it while Singapore Airlines had a confirmed booking.
    After making attempts to get on the call no one answered after 1 hour ( Mind it, I am at the airport already). The Airport Ground Staff of MENZIES ( a local duty manager ) was of no help and kept telling me thet I must call the airline myself as they are not responsible. After shouting and yelling at the duty manager, Finally a very super helpful staff came out and helped.
    and the help from the airline was of no help. The ground staff kept calling both airlines and it seems like she was also thrown from one airline to another. (Scoot telling that it is SIA and SIA telling its SCOOTs responsibility for this booking).
    Again the second ground staff went out of her way till the very very last minute and didn’t close the counter for me.
    I ended up missing that flight because either airline didn’t want to resolve this matter.

It was super clear that my booking was made and fully paid through the phone, and the confirmation was done on SIA, but SIA didn’t process my reservation for SCOOT despite they are sister airlines.

So when the topic is don;’t trust SIA. I want to share my experience despite I like to fly SIA since a child, I might have second thoughts now after this bad customer experience.
    My conclusion is either they are understaffed at their call centre that cannot be of any help, or the service of SIA has dropped below a budget airline.

HarryF
    Participant

Dear Kavik,
    Thanks for your post…your story mirrors mine completely. I too am a long term fan of SIA but I will never fly them again…My situation remains unresolved..my ‘deleted’ flight DPS – SGP and the onward connection SGP-LHR is scheduled for tomorrow…I finally purchased an AirAsia ticket DPS – SGP as back up but SIA just emailed to say my auto check in for my London flight didn’t work…I wonder what they have in store for me tomorrow!!

Inquisitive
    Participant

As a SQ fan, I am amazed at the situation of HarryF and KaviK. I hope these are one-off kind of cases and not systemic.

I presume both of you formally complained via official website and claim compensation?

HarryF, during your transit at Changi, you may go to one of the SQ transfer desk at airside and enquire about your situation, you may get a better answer.

Woodpecker
    Participant

HarryF,

Was the ticket purchased direct from SQ or through a third party?

And as Martyn above enquired, was the entire booking on a single PNR? If yes, it is baffling that a sector can be deleted and subsequently be untraceable. Is it possible for you to physically go to the SQ office in your city with all your supporting papers?

HarryF
    Participant

I went to SA in Singapore itself. Met w very nice Customer Service rep. No immediate answers but
    The promise of an investigation and response. Will keep you posted…

1 user thanked author for this post.

SwissinOz
    Participant

Had to cancel SQ flight due to Covid in December, SIA was quite accommodating but said reimbursement would take about 6 weeks. Fast forward to Feb, no money had been refunded. Cust service agent (after 1.5hr wait!) said they would prioritise the refund but couldn’t give an ETA. Early April the same: no money, long wait on hold, gracious agent, prioritise, no action whatever!

In the end (in May) I contacted my credit card company and disputed the transaction. They have more bargaining weight. So far so good. @HarryF, that may be the route you’ll eventually have to take.

cwoodward
    Participant

Being from Hong Kong I could never of course be fond of ether Singapore or its airline !

What alienated me most going back 30 years or so were those dreadful patterned carpets in the terminals and those huge open stormwater ditches one of which I fell into late one evening (morning).

What annoys me most currently is the dreadful nineteen fifties layout of the place and the inconvenience of having to change terminals. The rigged attitudes of the staff at all levels are also a minus as is the the plastic insincerity of the SIA cabin crews.

Compared with Hong Kong Changi belongs well into in the last century and yet ‘another new terminal’ won’t be open until 2031
    By comparison the huge terminal extension to HKG, a third runway and massive land reclamation will be completed by 2025 with the runway already open after just 4 years

A very backward place Singapore !……………..but then I am from Hong Kong………..

K1ngston
    Participant

[postquote quote=1231104]

Which will be just in time for the end of quarantine in HKG cwoodward??

1 user thanked author for this post.

cwoodward
    Participant

Probably not KIingston because –

To be serious
    I am being told from several sources today that Quarantine will end in 2 weeks to be replaced by some sort of monitoring after 3 days.
    Sources are reasonably good but of course nothing is certain until it is actually announced.

2 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls