Don’t have a heart attack in BA T5 lounge

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 71 total)

• LuganoPirate
    Participant

Sorry to hear about your heart attack Simon but delighted you’re making a good recovery. Perhaps some convalescence in SA would be in order!

rjhcambs
    Participant

Luckily I have never had to help with a cardiac arrest so I am no expert but if there is a defib unit handy I remember seeing a demonstration of one on TV where the unit was programmed to “talk” the user through its operation step-by-step. Don’t know how common that is? If no fefib is available would have to resort to pressing down to the beat of BeeGee’s “Staying Alive” as also demonstrated on TV!

transtraxman
    Participant

I think that statistics are a great help here, especiallly in a large airport such as Heathrow.

-How many Anginas/Cardiac Arrests/Ictus cases have been registered in the last three years in Heathrow?
    -Does the frequency of such occurrences demand/justify the lifesaving elements available in each terminal?
    -Can we ensure that trained personnel are available to use such material nearby 24 hours/ 7 days per week?
    -Can such measures be extended to other lifethreatening illnesses in airports so as to ensure a reasonable rapid response?

Maybe I have left out some cases but I think that these questions cover most cases.
    999 is not enough.
    Or it should be if it is on hand ….. ??? (what does that mean?)

nevereconomy
    Participant

Most of the defibs in the U.S. are never used – we had one in the office for years gathering dust. We only had it for liability purposes I am sure.
    It is a risk assessment issue in a sensible society – wonder how many such incidents there have been in the T5 lounge to justify it ?

transtraxman
    Participant

That is why I have just said that the statistics are so helpful.
    When you consider that each air terminal at Gatwick, Heathrow or Stansted as well as the London rail terminals has about 20 million passengers per annum then it is interesting to note the incidence of such occurrences.

When these attacks occur to you, you welcome the availability of such aids. If not then such aids should be available at a short, short distance.

Hermes1964
    Participant

It’s odd because BA would appear to put a lot of effort into training for on-board emergencies. I’ve seen a few people conk out for various reasons over the years on BA planes and always been impressed by how quickly and with what assurance they have been tended to by the crew.

You wouldn’t expect to be at greater risk of delayed response when still on the ground. Sounds like it needs sorting.

MrMichael
    Participant

I take a general view that other than severe blood loss, no breathing or no pulse, first aid is best left to the professionals in an urban area where professional help will be just minutes away ( I know sometimes exceptions happen). In rural areas one cannot expect an ambulance in 8 minutes so the requirement for first aid training is higher. I recall many years ago doing a “first aid at work course” where everybody on the course was working in an urban environment. On the second day when they started to enthusiastically show the group how to bandage every possible part of the body that could bleed, and how to splint every possible bone that could break, I rather lost the will to live and needed first aid myself to prevent me yawning to the extent of suffocation. There is huge difference between a first aid course and a critical life saving course, but the do gooders of the Red Cross/St Johns etc do not see it and seem to have a fetish for tying people up with bandages and splints.

Something that rather took the biscuit was a suspected heart attack of one of my staff a little while back. Fortunately in the building was a paramedic at the time who dealt with the poor chaps problem very well. The facilities management first aid chap arrived panting with defib machine in hand. Seeing the paramedic dealing with the issue and realising he was not required he commented, in a voice that the patient could hear ” oh, shame, I wanted to see if this thing worked”.

Heaven help us!

SimonRowberry
    Participant

Folks,

Thanks for the good wishes – shows how good the Forum folk are! I’m fine and life sure beats the alternative!

Martyn – of course!

LP – thanks for the email. Thanks for the kind invite. Sorry – but I may well take you up on it!

You are a great bunch of people.

Safe travels to all. Simon

SimonRowberry
    Participant

Anthony et al,

The really scary part for me was having no idea that it was a STEMI. There was none of the “classic” pain in the left arm and chest problems.

The symptoms were a lot of pressure in my jaw areaand a feeling (for those who have ever smoked) like you haven’t had a cigarette for ages x100. Also, the rightside of my chest felt like I’d had many litres of fizzy drink and (to put it politely) the wind wouldn’t break free either end.

A problem for anyone, defib at hand or not, is to recognise that this is a STEMI. My cardiologist told me two things (both scary and relevant):

1. Many people who have a h/a don’t know and often think that it’s indegestion

2. “For many people, the first symptom of heart disease is sudden death, and that’s a difficult symptom to deal with….”

Simon

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

@ SimonRowberry – 15/10/2014 23:26 GMT

Simon, many thanks for this and I’m delighted you are recuperating. You have now got me – and very possibly no few others – diving onto websites looking up the various symptoms and initial treatments.

A graphic run through of the symptoms of a cardiac arrest by Steven Berkoff courtesy of the British Heart Foundation:

http://www.bhf.org.uk/heart-health/symptoms.aspx

Otherwise, try looking at:
    http://heartdisease.about.com/od/heartattack/g/STEMI.htm
    http://heartdisease.about.com/cs/heartattacks/a/MIearly.htm

You have also inspired me to go and sign up for a First Aider course – something I really should have done ages ago.

andrew.gill
    Participant

I’m genuinely surprised at this post, the times listed simply don’t add up.

I volunteer at Heathrow Airport and have done for 2,5 years now.

I know from the training and refresher training we’re all offered by London Ambulance Service as part of the British Heart Foundation’s Heart Start program that a significant number of people at the airport have knowledge of what to do in a life threatening emergency, and that knowledge includes how to use a defibrillator and calling for help

andrew

Gridley
    Participant

When my husband needed very trivial first aid at T5 he was told there is no First Aid station at T5 (i don’t know about the other Terminals) and an ambulance was called from Hillingdon Hospital – totally unnecessary.

transtraxman
    Participant

The problem with heart attacks is that those who are receiving them do not know necessarily what is happening.

I have had three confirmed heart attacks since 1999 and I do not have any compunction about talking about any of them. Fortunately, the last confirmed one was in 2004.That means I have enjoyed ,10 years of a full life , and many more in the future, to enjoy.

Each was in different circumstances so one cannot generalise. The second and third were warned so were able to be attacked.

I do not want to bore anybody with the details but I would like to take the opportunity to say the main relevant points made to me by the cardiologists were….

1-Do not smoke.
    2-Do you have a family history of heart attacks?
    3-Reduce the risks of stress; Business problems
    Family problems
    Exra -family problems
    4-Eat a balanced diet low in saturated fats and sugars
    5-Physical exercise – the importance is on regular exercise in a gym, running, rowing or other heart demanding activities (e.g. darts or billards are not included).
    6-And if you have a history of heart problems have no compunction about going to the hospital to be looked at.

These measures with regular check-ups can ensure a longer and more fructifurous lifestyle.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Purely about sharing health tips to avoid needing to test the T5 medics out…

I am a believer that the best way for the Dr’s to know whats going on in your body is to have regular blood tests. I try to have 1 very comprehensive test every 6 – 9 months… and by comprehensive, the only box that is not ticked on the blood request form, is pregnancy…

May we all remain in good health for many years..

esselle
    Participant

MartynSinclair

+1 re blood test.

Blood pressure regulation is also essential. I have a BP monitor (medical grade) which I use routinely to measure my blood pressure.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 71 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls