Don’t call me Darling

Back to Forum
Viewing 10 posts - 61 through 70 (of 70 total)

• CXDiamond
    Participant

If you weren’t there and didn’t see his body language and the other comments that went with it then you are not a fit person to judge my reaction or otherwise. You chose to. Rather an unrealistic thing to do.

I put up with a lot before I retaliated but when I did, I did it thoroughly and after I said what I did, I didn’t feel any need to waste my time with BA’s complaints procedure.

Vertrek
    Participant

Everyone has a certain demand let’s just respect them, for me, I don’t care as long as that person is friendly and I usually ask them to refer me by my first name instead of my last since I am still young! =)

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I was just thinking that on all the airlines and public transport systems I’ve travelled on throughout the world, and it’s a fair number, I’ve only ever been called “darling, love” etc on British ones!

MartynSinclair
    Participant

LuganoPirate – 03/05/2012 03:12 GMT

….but how times have you been called something, in some far and distant land, that you had absolutely no idea what it meant.???

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Probably more times than I care (or even dare) to think about Martyn 😉

PeterCoultas
    Participant

LP – if you know Yorkshire you will be called “love” regardless of your sex… “darling” is only slightly more “sexist” in parts of north England…

1 user thanked author for this post.

ASK1945
    Participant

[quote quote=507454]….but how times have you been called something, in some far and distant land[/quote]

Martyn – I know this is slightly off-topic, but what irritates me immensely is when I phone some large organisation and am referred to by the responder by my first name, without hesitation. No question about how I would like to be addressed, just an assumption about this.

It is especially irritating as neither my mother nor my older daughter use(d) their first names. Indeed, my late mother had never been referred to by her first name and when she lay dying in hospital, health staff persisted in using it, and then wondered why she didn’t respond to them. This helped her to descend downhill more rapidly.

I always correct people whom i don’t know personally by asking them how they know me. This flumoxes them and they mumble that they don’t. I tell them that they are disrespectful and not to address clients by their first names, unless invited to do so. I do know that usually it is company policy to do this, but as i wrote above, this irritates me.

GivingupBA
    Participant

Good day, darlings!

I have been addressed as “Darling” more than once when boarding planes, usually by young female flight attendants on BA. Do I mind? Of course not. I am over 70. And so inoffensively done. Made my day.

nevereconomy
    Participant

When you are away from home for weeks at a time as I was in my working days I always found it rather enjoyable to have flight attendants or others call me honey or whatever other term of endearment. Considering the less endearing other things I have been called in my many years, it certainly would never cause offense. Definitely person concerned needs to evaluate what is important in their life, or perhaps just get one.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

[quote quote=1216741]Martyn – I know this is slightly off-topic, but what irritates me immensely is when I phone some large organisation and am referred to by the responder by my first name, without hesitation. No question about how I would like to be addressed, just an assumption about this.

It is especially irritating as neither my mother nor my older daughter use(d) their first names. Indeed, my late mother had never been referred to by her first name and when she lay dying in hospital, health staff persisted in using it, and then wondered why she didn’t respond to them. This helped her to descend downhill more rapidly.

I always correct people whom i don’t know personally by asking them how they know me. This flumoxes them and they mumble that they don’t. I tell them that they are disrespectful and not to address clients by their first names, unless invited to do so. I do know that usually it is company policy to do this, but as i wrote above, this irritates me.[/quote]

@ASK1945
    – I guess we are from a generation…..

I still cant get used to calling clergy by their first name even if I am way older. I would never call “RYS” by his first name. although I know plenty who do.

At the other end, I always tell junior Sinclair’s American friends off when they address me as “Sir”… I remind them I am not a knight of the realm – which is mostly lost of them – and they should just call me Martyn!

Viewing 10 posts - 61 through 70 (of 70 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls