Don’t call me Darling

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 70 total)

• HonestCrew
    Participant

Darling, hunny, mate. We use these terms as every single trip we operate we work with colleagues we have never met before. It is impossible to remember everyone’s names within the time of the pre-flight briefing.
    In no way are these terms mean’t to be derogatory.

I wonder if it had been one of the gay blokes saying it to him, would he have taken it as a compliment? Probably.

Papillion53
    Participant

Flier74

Found it in the Telegraph online, darling.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

once flying JFK LHR in F I had a cold coming on and was feeling generally miserable. To boot I was unable to sleep. A very nice FA came up and asked me if I’d like a hot chocolate. On serving it her words were “There we are darling, I hope that cheers you up?” On checking if all was well I said, “thanks sweetheart, you’re a real angel, that’s just what I needed”. Shortly after I fell asleep. No-one was offended, it was a pleasant exchange and that was that.

What amazes me though, is that an employee can take BA to court for remarks made by another employee? Is he doing it just for a hoped for pay-off? I don’t know and what if I addressed an FA as “Darling, mate another familiar term and he supposedly took offense, could he then sue me or BA for that matter?

It’s a very dangerous road we are going down and I’m delighted the judge in this instance had some common sense. It will not always be the case?

skyguy79
    Participant

I think major airlines really ought to do rigorous tests to evaluate the suitability of candidates for this post.
    I mean if you are offended easily by the silliest of things then this clearly isn’t the job for you.
    Singapore Airlines put candidates through 3 months training before they even get to say Welcome Aboard.
    UK airlines really need to shape up and maybe adopt the “service from the heart ” culture of Asian airlines and take longer in assessing candidates rather 1 afternoon of silly role playing.
    How can this buffoon sue BA ? It was surely a more internal issue rather than take legal action ? This dude needs to get a grip on life and maybe leave BA ?

Vertrek
    Participant

imagine if one of the gay passenger call him darling and he sues him! Sorry to say, he should get fired as it is obviously he can’t separate his personal and professional life.

Oh… hang on… perhaps he is still in the closet! =)

skyguy79
    Participant

Wonder if Mr/Mrs VK has ever been called darling by crew ?!! Just asking in a nice way lol not being hostile !

JohnPhelanAustralia
    Participant

I recently had a flight in BA First with a delightful, mature FA by the name of Molly. She referred to me as “darling” frequently throughout the flight, which – from her – was both natural and charming. And the service she provided was first rate.

I think it all depends on the two people involved. I, for one, detest being called “mate” in flight (I think it’s only happened twice, however).

RichHI1
    Participant

If you read the report you will see this was in answer to a disciplinary hearing about misconduct. I do not know the circumstances but I have a feeling there is much more to this than the use of the term darling.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

My 2 pet hates:

1. Being called “mate” by someone who does not knowm me

2. When I telephone someone and they ask after the pleasantries – “well what can I do for you?”

Would I take some to court each time 1 or 2 was said……………………

As you say Rich there is probably more to this story – I would certainly hope so!

canucklad
    Participant

When i’ve flown AC Exec class they actually called me by my name….Don’t know what they called each other though!

HongKongLady
    Participant

Ay up me duck,

RichHI1
    Participant

I remember calling the Midland Hotel in Manchester to advise of a late arrival and being called “chuck”. I thought she had got my name wrong but locals told me it is a Manchesterism… If only I had sued….

CXDiamond
    Participant

I always say I don’t mind what I’m called as long as it’s legal and decent. I do however draw the line at things like love or as I was once called by a BA steward in F, pet. I rather enjoyed cutting the legs from under him and spoke to the CSD about his attitude. He stayed away from me for the remainder of the flight.

HongKongLady
    Participant

Is that Sir CX Diamond, regional differences are to be embraced.

VectorOne
    Participant

Instead of heaping odium on this poor chap can we remind ourselves that somewhere along the line he must have consulted with a solicitor/union official who told him that this was a good idea. Unless he represented himself, he presumably had legal counsel. So it’s not just “political correctness gone mad” but possibly and equally the sign of a legal profession which is willing to take any case as long as they think they’ll get paid.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 70 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls