Don Muang BKK, dreadful Cambodia airport arrival and Air Asia 4 trips

Back to Forum
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

• norbert2008
    Participant

Just a few notes and tips from my latest trips through DMK on Air Asia.

As ever you all know traffic always a problems getting to DMK as no public transport as yet. Train link on the way? I was traveling International to Cambodia. If you have bags to check in then you need so much more time, long lines. But there are 3 ticket machines for self check in (think they could do with so many more). I stupidly forgot and my phone died so had no idea of codes. Went to Asia ticket desk waited 3 mins and they sorted out double boarding passes for both legs. I should have bought red seat there as you cannot on plane.

Lounges have now gone big at DMK and there are two just passed security, Priority Pass both. I tried the Coral and was large, good food, loads of flowers! Not much on the booze front think Miracle was better but only saw that on my departure. Free neck and back massage very nice touch.

Boarding was fast and ordered, Red seats first, always. I had forgotten how small leg room is (better always to get red seats only $12 before you fly either online or at airport) you cannot do this on the plane even if they are free. Very short flight so no problem. Good efficient staff.

NOW you get loads of forms on the flight read them very carefully…..I didn’t YOU need a visa to enter and you have to get in line and either have a passport pic or not you get charged more for not having one! THEN passport taken away for processing. This can take about an hour. You then form a scrum to collect finished visa’s, THEN you have to go to the line to go through passport control about 3 mins per person over 150 or so people waiting. Be careful, my driver waited 2 hours for me and was just about to leave………could be time of day noon arrival.

My return from Siem Reap, the airport is very sweet in design and ordered quick check in with seat upgrade to Red seat. Then passport and security in 5 mins. The lounge is hugh for such a small airport (Norwich Int UK take note) good hot and cold food, outside area for smokes……nice bar service perfect.

Boarding easy again Red seats first.

NOW arrival at DMK, if your lucky will be a gate, then a long walk to passport, etc. Just about to be in long line when they opened up another desk quick through. Then into nightmare zone……..TAXI’s 100 people in line 3 desks open loads of paperwork 3 mins person, drivers leaving cabs, parking up, coming to desk to collect people TOTAL mess needs sorting and now. Only 3 desk out of 6 open at peek time. I waited about 45 mins for a cab, then nearly 2 hours into BKK.

Quick review domestic Air Asia to Phuket…..again big lines for check in but print boarding cards and all done, upgrade to Red seat quickly done and through to domestic lounge, very nice for domestic again neck massage, the airport seems to have been done up more and nice to ave regules from once great airport now just sad chep fight home. Phuket lounge is a work in progress and Coral may make it better but still better than some. I had whole d,e, seat to myself massive legroom and dear BA I had a bulkhead divider!

Taxi back well dear readers like my BA post the other week, we skipped the 100 line at taxi desk and went onto street outside main highway pick up taxi in 2 mins…..naught maybe but so much quicker.

Polly
    Participant

Coral lounge at HKT, very limited, l think. They only serve your local Tiger beer, and no wine. Quite a stingy lounge, all round. Food just about passable, but l agree the massages very welcoming. Quite a treat.

DNAdams
    Participant

Wow, I can’t believe that Cambodia is still operating this visa on arrival shambles at their airports. I experienced this back in 2005 and thought it was because they hadn’t quite go their act together yet but 13 years on nothing has improved so it seems. I remember the totally uncivilized scrum to get passports back, everyone in a room with about 10 Cambodian immigration officers standing in a row facing everyone and holding up passports at the photo page and expecting people to see their own to claim it back! Imagine that a LHR..

Chris in Makati
    Participant

To save time and hassle at the airport you can get a visa for Cambodia online very easily at:

Cambodia e-Visa

The service actually works very well, and I find the visa normally comes through within a few hours of applying.

The cost last time I used it a few months ago was US$36

norbert2008
    Participant

More expensive but thank you, I should have done my research…..

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls