Domestic arrivals at Gatwick South

Back to Forum
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• TominScotland
    Participant

I have flown to/ through Gatwick three times in the past couple of weeks, arriving on a BA Domestic from Glasgow. Each time, we have deplanned onto an airbridge and then had to walk down stairs to a bus to take us to Arrivals. I take it this will be the norm for BA Domestic Arrivals and maybe should be factored into folk’s time planning when arriving into Gatwick South. Depending on load, it can take between 20 and 30 minutes to get to Arrivals.

Yesterday, I transferred onto Cathay’s A350 service to Hong Kong and had to exit arrivals and re-enter Departures upstairs, luckily via the Premium route.

Rockhopper
    Participant

Its seems to be the same for domestic arrivals at North Terminal as well. Arrived several times now on a domestic Easyjet service to be met by a bus and taken round the houses to a dedicated domestic arrivals area. Depending which door they use there can then be a short walk or a very long walk to the baggage reclaim. There is no way to avoid exiting arrivals and having to go back through departures and security even with only hand luggage. Last time this added 35 mins to my arrival as the buses didn’t turn up until ten minutes after we pulled onto stand.

Stewart
    Participant

What makes it even worse is that I have to purchase my seat due to my company travel policy and this then becomes a waste of money as the benefits of getting off the plane first are lost. Then to rub salt in the wound, the pilot will then come on to say how great BA is by getting us to Gatwick on time!!

UKFly79
    Participant

Tom, I’ve had the same experience in the last few weeks arriving on FlyBe from Newquay. That’s only a relatively small Embraer 195 but it’s usually full, and takes an age from aircraft to taxi. It’s barely 40 minutes up in the air! No point in paying for a seat selection at all.

Having a good parking stand seems to make no difference as it’s always a bus to the terminal, despite walking along, down and then outside the airbridge to the bus.

Andrew
    Participant

Time to spare, go by air!

UKFly79
    Participant

[quote quote=808320]Time to spare, go by air!

[/quote]

Agreed. Although my 5 hour drive down to Cornwall is still comfortably beaten by FlyBe….. never mind the hassle of the M4/5

wingcommander
    Participant

I too have arrived 4 or 5 times in to LGW with BA from GLA. To be honest, the bus transfer really frustrates me accurately stated above this can add quite a bit of time and often, for me, a missed train connection.

I wondered if the airport set up for incoming/ departing paxs could be easily and cheaply accommodated to make the bus unnecessary.

If, I’d been asked beforehand I would have said no thanks.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls