Doing work on a train…would you?

Back to Forum
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• Anonymous

flyingdutchman2010
    Participant

I’m just looking at the working space on a train and how this could possibly be improved and i was wondering what people’s thoughts where on this topic?
    What works well, what doesn’t work so well? Wi-fi, power points, bigger tables, more privacy etc.

NTarrant
    Participant

I regularly used East Midlands trains and travel in First class, they have wi-fi which is very good. Most units have power points. I only use a notebook and don’t take up much room, although I have seen people who take over a table designed for four people.

My moan is the cups and glasses on the table and constant up and down by the staff, not in serving coffee, but it seems the crew area is in the wrong place. So I would perhaps advocate more privacy but not sure how you would get that.

flyingdutchman2010
    Participant

Thank you for your feedback. This is actually something that I was also considering tackeling i.e. designing the table so that you don’t invade someone else’s space.

Thank you also for the other points that you have raised, gives me more food for thought!

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I very much enjoy the individual compartments on Swiss and German trains. They have four seats with pullout tables on the Swiss trains and fixed on the German ones, with power sockets integrated.

I think I read they will soon have wifi on board, which for the Swiss should be quite easy as their overhead lines already carry the cable for broadband and telephone. Meals, drinks and refreshments are served at the seat and the whole compartment can be reserved for meetings.

On balance I prefer the compartments on the DB ICE trains but both are perfectly suitable for privacy.

Swissdiver
    Participant

I do work often in trains. Geneva-Zurich by plane is useless (twice 30 minutes airport – city plus one hour ahead of flight plus almost one hour flight) while it takes 2 3/4 hours by train. Their is a tough choice though: privacy of a 4 seats “compartments” or wifi… I often select the later option. But with music on the ears, I am quite efficient…

Agree furthermore with LP: if only we had ICE train compartments… Have also tried the Austrian long distance trains and their “Premium” cabin (above “First class”). The best so far…

flyingdutchman2010
    Participant

Thanks for the feedback. It helps to have some knowledge how people treat this aspects outside of the United Kingdom:

Also if you have a quick minute could you fill in this survey which is in relation to my project:

http://www.zoomerang.com/Survey/WEB22DL3KVNW4J

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls