Doha. In – Transit security.

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)

• BPP
    Participant

Have just transited through Doha (LHR-DOH-BKK). Expecting to be able to stoll from the gate through to the Al Moujaran Lounge only to be faced with full security screening before getting anywhere.
    Long Q’s for carry on bags to x-rayed, body search, swabbed for drugs.
    No obvious fast track, what a shambles.
    Apparantly been in place for some time. Are they practising for the football crowds next year?
    Eva Airways next time!
    BPP

TominScotland
    Participant

Have they removed the Business Class security line? It was in place when I was through Doha recently. You need to search for the Business line (generally very short), ask if necessary. I use it even when travelling Economy with Qatar, having my BA Gold card handy. I will check when going through next week.

GeordieTraveller
    Participant

I used a business security line when transiting through Doha last week although it is not immediately obvious that there is a fast track lane available. No queues and through in less than two minutes once we’d found it.

BPP
    Participant

Thanks folks, I will check on the way back next week.
    BPP

openfly
    Participant

Just passed through DOH Business Security…long queue, took ages. They now pull every second male pax to go through a secondary full body X-Ray check. They don’t do this to females!! Avoid DOH.
    Much slicker, friendlier and quicker through AUH….

2 users thanked author for this post.

PointyMark
    Participant

This shambles at DOH has been going on since the airport opened, even though it was designed with transit pax in mind. I agree that they could and should make the Business line easier to find. However sometimes I don’t have to go through this transit security check, but I haven’t yet worked out why some flights are exempt.

DavidGrodentz
    Participant

When flying through Doha, we usually start our trip from Hong Kong. Never have to pass through transit security. Hoewever, on the return trip, usually from London or other European cities, we always have to pass through transit security. Have always found the fast track lane but, depending on the crowds, it can be difficult to spot

nevereconomy
    Participant

I never have any issues as I never transit in ME…very surprised to see any criticism of the mighty QR here.

Sami
    Participant

I’m totally surprised by some opinions here. Doha airport is one of the most passenger friendly airports in the world and transiting through it is a breeze. BPP, next time look for the express business class transit line.

BPP
    Participant

Hi Sami
    My comments were really to get useful feedback on:
    1 Why the need for in transit security when I was never at anytime landside. This is new.
    2.The Business class lane was not at all obvious, indeed I doubt there was one.
    3. I now discover from colleagues that only specific flights were being targeted and for specific reasons.
    4. Why the Chaos – it was manic!

I will have a second good look at this on my return, (which is mid day rather than mid night) but as of now – this may be the last time!

bpp

Sami
    Participant

A pity BPP since Doha airport has so much to offer. Hopefully, you will change your mind on your return flight.

AlanOrton1
    Participant

[quote quote=979131]1 Why the need for in transit security when I was never at anytime landside. This is new.[/quote]

I don’t regularly use DOH, however, on all the transits I recall from LHR via DOH to HKG / SIN etc, I am sure I’ve always had to pass through security, so I don’t believe this is new.

I would have thought how busy it is depends on the time of day and how many planes / transit folk arrive within a short space of each other.

DOH is by far alone in this practice, late Sunday I was transiting through HKG and I had to clear security, probably a good 15 mins given the number of other pax there. (Didn’t see a business class lane).

Jacob
    Participant

I have had the same happen to me in Singapore when arriving from Bangkok and going a few hours later to Perth Australia, have no idea why!

alainboy56
    Participant

Regarding the in-transit security – I too have asked airport staff why it is ‘sometimes yes and sometimes no’?
    I get various answers like ‘it’s your origin sir’, but I used to come from AUH regularly and it was yes/no without any reason also inbound/outbound LHR, the same.
    I was also told by staff sometimes it depends on your aircraft stand i.e. on a bridge no …. on a remote stand/yes – but here too there was never any consistency.

I just believe the DOH management has no particular strategy so as to keep any would be terrorist 2nd guessing, and so its a random. kind of ‘decision of the day’
    However, I have had no particular problems with fast track or the economy lanes, they are usually very well organised and the mainly african staff are quite thorough, efficient and friendly enough.
    There used to always be a Qatari policeman on each X-Ray machine, but I have noticed of late they are no longer present, so there are no locals on this procedure.
    @BPP I think you just ‘hit’ an unusually bad moment. Dont lose faith, maybe 2 full A380’s had arrived on stand almost together hence the chaotic melee.
    Once happened to me at LHR T4 when arriving on an A380 (QR) and a A380 (EY) had also arrived – that was certainly an absolute mess at UK’s most welcoming gateway.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    BPP

SAS
    Participant

Transiting at any airport for a layover, even a brief one, means that one has to go through security before proceeding onwards to the next flight. That is how it is at Doha, which I found to be an excellent, clean and user friendly airport, as well as in ANY major airport trying to keep itself safe from trouble makers.

People disliking security checks should avoid flying altogether.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls