Does Sorry Always Make It Better? The airlnes seem to think so…..

Back to Forum
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

• TominScotland
    Participant

I think all of us are observing the scale of airline cancellations across Europe with astonishment (Lufthansa, just today as reported in BP – https://www.businesstraveller.com/business-travel/2022/06/10/lufthansa-cancels-900-flights-due-to-bottlenecks-and-staff-shortages/).

They have also taken to posting apologies from their CEOs on Social Media – Jens Ritter from Lufthansa on Linkedin saying that “I am very sorry for the difficulties this may cause many of you” and telling us hat they are working to resolve their problems. Struck me very much as a ‘duty apology’ but I guess it is better that nothing. But 63 comments later and no further engagement from Mr Ritter.

My favourite is the posting from Jonathan Hinkles, CEO of Loganair (admittedly not one of the main cancellation perpetrators) whose explanation of current airline woes, again on Linkedin, was honest and gave valuable contextual information. He also engages robustly with the issues and their solution. But what I particularly like is his fulsome engagement in the conversation in the Comments section below, replying to many of the early comments in an honest but also measured way.

I have not seen anything similar from BA, KLM or easyjet. Maybe I missed their apologies?

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Apart from cancellations, getting through to their helpline is a nightmare, even for Senator / Gold status holders. I had to make a booking that requires me to call the service desk. I was given 2 options – a call back “TOMORROW!!” or hang on. 90 minutes later I hung up. Good job calls from my landline are free!

This is terrible service and imagine I had an urgent matter for a flight today?

1 user thanked author for this post.

rogernorwich
    Participant

As the song goes ‘Sorry seems to be the hardest word’ BUT the airlines have turned this on its head and now it’s the EASIEST word.
    I have had a nightmare year with BA, cancellation after cancellation, change after change regardless of the knock on effects with hotels, meeting arrangements etc., they are always sorry.
    Most recently their late running flight and unwillingness to get me from one plane to another in 1 hour at LHR caused me an avalanche of missed onward flights and a whole day in the lounge wasting my time.
    Corresponding with the airline revealed they are sorry but even for top tier customers they are little more than sorry. A few avios handed out (what do I need avios for I have 400,000 and I also have 4000+GBP of vouchers) is not going to make any difference to my life.
    I have had it with BA and will get round to spending the vouchers but that’s it…for the future the concept of ‘loyalty’ is off my menu and since I only fly in the front cabins what does ‘loyalty’ bring me anyway? Not much, so from now on when I can actually bring myself to get on another plane and I hope it won’t be soon I am just going to be ‘loyal’ to my wallet and forget the idea that there is any real benefit to sticking with any one airline group. Airline ‘loyalty’ is just another way of shaking customers down..a complete con trick but of course when things go wrong, and they will,they are SORRY!!

CathayLoyalist2
    Participant

rogernorwich, it is the ongoing indifference and “couldnĀ“t care less” attitude that pervades to many companies/brands, all using the excuse of Covid when things go wrong. For BA this state of affairs has been ongoing for years now so my question is – why is the board of BA complicit in these failings?

Shamsh1
    Participant

This post is not inappropriate, this post is true!
    I experienced exactly the same nightmare on a businessclass-trip VIE-LHR-SIN. VIE-LHR was cancelled 48h before. I cancelled everything and changed to Qatar. A truly 5* airline!!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller December 2022 / January 2023 edition
Business Traveller December 2022 / January 2023 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls