Does Hertz try to rip-off its # 1 Club Gold members?

Back to Forum
Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)

• David
    Participant

Mats, I commented on this earlier and still find this to be true:

Login with Hertz #1 Gold and ALWAYS get a significantly higher quote than if you simply shop on their website without logging in.

I’ve had to make 3 reservations on Hertz over the past month and all 3 were made without using my Hertz #1 Gold details. Of course I don’t get the benefit of such either.

Hertz is a good company and the #1 service is good too, however Hertz is bascially my last option when looking to book, given the likes of Avis that are able to offer the #1 service, without the premium up-charge.

It is very clear that Hertz is aware of this as they even make the stipulation on their website that the Hertz #1 Gold Club number can not be added to a reservaton after a booking has been made (obviously to keep people to work around their pricing system).

I am still convinced that Hertz is preying on #1 Club customers that don’t know better.

M.Moose
    Participant

I rented 7 days from Hertz in Melbourne 3 weeks back. Compact car category, per day was AUD30 (with CX promotion) without insurance. They asked me if I wanted insurance – it was AUD35 per day!

Not sure how the mechanics work, but I did try as a regular member, followed by the CX promotion – the CX one was cheaper. I almost signed-up for their #1 Club Gold – but glad I didn’t.

The following week, I rented in NZ (Apex) – 8 days @ NZD119 per day. Insurance was about NZD20 per day.

continentalclub
    Participant

MatsUK68 – it may be worth checking your #1 Club Gold profile to see if you have a vehicle category preference selected. Most profiles, by default, are set to Group C or Group D, I think.

So, if you search while logged in, you may only see results for your preferred category and above. It’s also the case that only certain vehicle groups are offered on certain rates so again, your insurance and add-on preferences (see my earlier post) may in effect be ‘blocking-out’ some options.

I mention this not to justify Hertz’s system, which could indeed benefit from significant improvement in this regard, but to perhaps provide a route/workaround which allows you to make a best-rate booking whilst also maintaining your #1 Club Gold privileges.

RichHI1
    Participant

I find normall logging in gives better prices however…
    If there is a promotion running logging in may remove the promo code and replace with your no 1 code. So you have to deselect And deselect discount code.
    Other issue is that the quality of Internet sites has deteriorated over the yeArs and many sites assume you have to live where you log in (after all who travels internationally?) so you have to overwrite the country setting as discounts vary by where you live. My no 1 account is uk based with a uk card but I hAve a uS driving license and AAA discount. When I log in I normally have to overwrite the country from Uk to us to get best rAtes.

DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

If you wnat a really competitive rate, then try

http://www.travelsupermarket.com/c/cheap-car-hire/

Of course there are no #1 clubs or any such benefits, but over the years I have saved a fortune through this site.

Binman62
    Participant

DisgustedofSwieqi…….thanks for this tip I have an upcoming booking in the USA and this site has cut 20% from a rate I thought unbeatable. Thank you.

Binman62
    Participant

DisgustedofSwieqi…….thanks for this tip I have an upcoming booking in the USA and this site has cut 20% from a rate I thought unbeatable. Thank you.

DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

Pleased you got a decent saving.

ekond111
    Participant

…sometimes HCG works in your favour…especially over peak periods…and sometimes not…always shop around time permitting…

GrahamWright
    Participant

I hired from Hertz at Béziers, south of France as I have always done. I was surprised to find a huge difference in price between there and Barcelona;- around a 2:1 difference. (Barcelona is an alternative destination for me to this area).

I did not top up the tank on return.

Subsequently I received an additional charge for this at €2.89 per litre plus a charge of @14.95 for the labour.

During our visit, fuel was almost universally @1.50 per litre.

I will not be using them again.

NTarrant
    Participant

Graham – if you don’t buy a full tank from them you do have to return it full. It is quite common for the charge per litre to be almost double the usual pump prices, which covers the cost of them having to send someone to top up the tank and the time it takes.

I have not heard of a labour charge before though. Have a look through your paperwork and it should tell you how much it costs if you don’t fill it up

SimonS1
    Participant

Surely the labour charge is the cost of labour for someone going to fill it up? So no excuse for loading the fuel price as well.

It just seems like another way of milking the consumer for every penny they can. I suppose the Theft Protection/CDW/Super Cover/Personal Insurance con has attracted so much negative attention that they now have to move on to something else.

As for the paperwork isn’t it the case that this usually runs to pages and pages of detail? All of which differs from continent to continent?

In Florida this always used to be the other way around, you were charged for a full tank based on the capacity of the car, in the knowledge that few travellers rushing for flights would bring the car back with the last litre in the tank.

NTarrant
    Participant

I would agree Simon, usually you pay twice or thereabouts the price of fuel at the pump for the privlege of not filling it yourself. I have not heard of a labour charge.

In a number of places you get given a full tank, charged for and they hope you will only do a few miles. The paperwork is a bit daunting, although my last hire last week in Manchester with Europcar it was clearly stated.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

It’s a good trick, as they offer a tank at a litre price a few cents less than the normal pump price to reel you in, and indeed they know on average, people will return the car with a good few litres left in the tank.

I’ve been caught on this a few time now, though in fairness Europcar at LCY gave me a £10 voucher off my next rental when I returned with over half a tank so it can be worth telling them if this is the case.

I now refuse the full tank (and the salesperson gets a commission on this, in fact each office is set a target to sell so many tanks each day, so it’s obviously a profit generator for them) and make sure I leave enough time to fill up on my return.

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls