Does anyone HATE being referred to as “Guys”

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)

• Fernieside94
    Participant

WHY does it seem to be acceptable, in fact trained into waiting staff, that we should be referred to as “GUYS” all the time ?
    It can be a Pizza Joint (possibly acceptable) or a 5 * Hotel, why oh why do we have to be greeted by “hi guys” “ “how’re you guy’s today“etc
    WTF is going on here ??

canucklad
    Participant

Firstly, welcome to the forum Fernieside94
    And onto your point …….. doesn’t bother me in the slightest

And it seems to me, to be a bit of a cultural thing…….
    it normally happens abroad when me and my mates congregate in bars, reception areas , check-in desks whatever.
    Mix in a Dutch accent and it’s actually quite affable.

And the highlight of any of my personal/business trips I take is to come across someone who is older than me, even better when they’re clearly only slightly older and they refer to me as “Son” .
    And when travelling around Scotland when someone calls me” laddie” then rest assured I spend the next hour strutting about like a peacock, albeit a 54 year old peacock.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

It depends on the place and context. I try wherever possible to avoid Americanisms, but accept in the US in more popular establishments our group will be addressed as “Guys”. I don’t like it, nor is it used, it more high end establishments.

I also find it’s more used in Europe and South Africa by female staff than male, who tend to address us as “Gentleman” or when mixed then they just introduce themselves. In the rest of Africa (at least those places I visit), and the Middle and Far East, staff are much more deferential, and do not resort to “Guys” but address us individually as “sir” or “madam”.

esselle
    Participant

Yes, hate it. On a par with “there you go”, and “enjoy”. And “is everything alright for yourself?”

capetonianm
    Participant

I dislike it intensely, along with all the other hideous USAmericanisms, banalities, and formulaic phrases that have polluted the English language. The one I particularly dislike though is not from the other side of Atlantic, it’s ‘mate’ particularly when said in a belligerent tone by some bonehead airport ‘security official’.

southside
    Participant

Could not agree more,what has happened to sir or madam or even guys and gals at certain places!!

MartynSinclair
    Participant

If I am with a group of male friends (mates, the lads, guys) entering a bar or restaurant (in casual surroundings), I have absolutely no issue with the group being called ‘guys’…

If however, I am with a partner (s) (personal or professional), or a mixed group, entering somewhere not so casual, I think it shows a certain lack of respect and a casual attitude.

FaroFlyer
    Participant

Totally agree.

I would rather be told to “p*ss off” by someone who means it, than to “Have a nice day” by someone who doesn’t.

BPP
    Participant

Getting more common this.
    My wife’s instant reply to this is ‘I am not a Guy’.
    Equally, I dislike a salesperson asking me for my first name. My reply is Mister, when then asked for my initials I say M-R. That fools ’em!
    BPP

Poshgirl58
    Participant

It annoys me, especially when it’s so blatantly obvious that we’re not. However, the suggestion of an eye test or anatomy lesson would be wasted!

Then there’s the replacement of “excuse me” with “sorry”. So far, I’ve resisted temptation of replying “why, what have you done?”

The one that really riles is “hiya”. It grates so much that I always make the point of saying “hello” with extra emphasis.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

I don’t mind ‘guys’, so long as they don’t mind ‘low waged, socially unskilled, person’ in return.

Fair enough?

nevereconomy
    Participant

Being both English and American I find it perfectly acceptable in the US but oddly irritating anywhere else!

simeoncox
    Participant

It’s “Mr Cox, if you don’t mind.”

LondonViking
    Participant

Hi Guys,

No I don’t have a problem with it at all.

rferguson
    Participant

I have absolutely zero issue with ‘guys’. In fact I quite like it as it makes me feel I am in a relaxed environment even if in a somewhat formal location.

I detest being called ‘sir’. Or ‘Mr xxx’. As soon as someone, say a crew member on a plane, says ‘how do I say your surname’ (it is a bit tricky) I always reply ‘please call me xxx (my first name)’.

So I guess its down to personal preference.

What counts for me is that the service is genuine, friendly and efficient.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls