Does anyone enjoy BA afternoon tea?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)

• FDOS
    Participant

Having recently taken a late afternoon flight scheduled for 2h20 with BA in CE (my client’s choice), the choice of CE meal was (a) afternoon tea with sandwiches or (b) afternoon tea with veggie sandwiches.

I’m not a great fan of afternoon tea per se, to be honest, but the BA version looked stodgy, high carb and unattractive – the ingredients would have graced Aldi or Lidl’s shelves.

I was expecting a warm meal (e.g. a curry or similar) and passed on the stodge.

Is it just me who dislikes afternoon tea? Do you think it is suitable on a flight scheduled to arrive at 19h30?

esselle
    Participant

I can’t really comment but I remember years ago getting a flight ex LHR to LIS departing at 09.15.

I was in C, and looking forward to an English Breakfast. We were served king prawn curry!!

1 user thanked author for this post.

ViajeroUK
    Participant

I used to, many years ago!

There was a time that English afternoon tea with scones, jam and clotted cream, with 1/4 bottle of champagne, was served in CE, but I’m sure it was served in the afternoon, not early evening.

I’m guessing it must have been 30/35 years ago? I remember one occasion when the flight attendant apologised that the champagne was not chilled, but you could have ice with it!

5 users thanked author for this post.

AlanOrton1
    Participant

Flew LHR-VLC a few months back, departure time was something like 16:00 or 16:30, so arrival time would have been close to 20:00.
    Afternoon tea served and it was ok but about 25% of the quantity was savoury and the remainder sweet.
    I’d have preferred a normal meal as this, although nice enough, wasn’t that filing and overly sweet. Made me wish I’d eaten in the lounge beforehand.

(Flew F earlier this month and the afternoon tea service was excellent).

nevereconomy
    Participant

I always skipped it as the second meal on westbound transatlantics – bit dry for me and no fan of scones. The Americans usually have something more attractive..

fluffymitten
    Participant

There’s some coating they put on one of the sandwiches, especially in CE, which just makes the bread have a really nasty dampness about it.

The best bit about afternoon tea is the scones. The rest I couldn’t care less about.

2 users thanked author for this post.

DannyBoy
    Participant

I am no fan of afternoon tea in general, but it is supposidly a popular choice. I don’t mind a nice bit of cake and tea to compliment a meal which I do think BA does do very well. Having spoken to a friend recently he was telling me that BA is currently trialling salads as an alternative option on some routes. From the pictures shared they looked very good and I certainly would not have said no.

cybertravller
    Participant

I was flying to Jersey as crew, and at the time in question, BA had axed the Afternoon Tea service. While this was a 30-minute flight a passenger in Club Europe was shouting at the Purser and me for this hideous transgression, animatedly informing us of the price he paid for the seat.

As much as I am not BA’s biggest fan this seems like a case of damned if you do damned if you don’t.

As to why people would fly CE for a 30 minute flight is somewhat beyond me.

3 users thanked author for this post.

nevereconomy
    Participant

And in addition why would you expect to be served a lobster dinner on a 30 minute flight? There is not enough time for a glass of water and (or) a pee……

cwoodward
    Participant

Virgin Atlantic used to serve an extremely good ‘Afternoon Tea’ on its transatlantic flights ack in about 2018 -and may well
    still do ?

FDOS
    Participant

Well, I won the lottery. Departed ex Vienna at 1745 and it was afternoon tea, once again. The flight was 1h20 late, due to a technical problem with the aircraft.

Fortunately, I had eaten in the lounge.

The presentation of this meal in CE is (IMO) uninspiring and a quick trip to my local Tesco Express would provide the same ingredients for a couple of pounds, on a ticket that cost nearly £700. On an AF flight, I would have expected a tasty and healthy salad dish.

Also, when I checked the flight on the BA website, it showed me a message informing me that the flight was cancelled! As I was tracking the inbound on FR24 and it was still shown as active on the FIDS in the airport, I took no notice, however that is a crass error and could have resulted in a problem for someone who is not a frequent traveller.

This ticket was my client’s choice, I wouldn’t waste my own money on BA.

FDOS
    Participant

@Cybertraveller, I am not sure it is damned if you do or not.

If an airline charges a large price for a premium service and then doesn’t provide it, I can understand the frustration – the question is, what was provided? If it was an alternative meal, then the passenger was being unreasonable, if it was just a drink, then the passenger was the victom of cost cutting (it’s in our DNA, to quote the former CEO).

People often fly business on 30 minute flights, because they are connecting from. a long haul business flight, I’ve done it whilst connecting from MAN to the ME region. The ticket is in C/J for both sectors.

fsav81
    Participant

@cybertravller I fly to the LHR-JER route all too regularly and unfortunately that sort of behaviour doesn’t surprise me. Jersey seems to attract cashed-up, chest-beating, big-fish-in-a-small-pond types who, in my experience, enjoy broadcasting how much money they spend / how they never fly economy / how high up they are in the BA status hierarchy. Dreadful people.

cybertravller
    Participant

Hi FDOS,

A very good point that I mistakenly omitted was that there was an alternative, which, as memory serves, was a salad with a protein on top. Full bar service was provided as normal; the only difference was the meal provided.

I completely understand if you are connecting from long-haul, but we very rarely had large numbers of connections as opposed to MAN, EDI or GLA, for example.

cybertravller
    Participant

Hi, fsav81. Yes, I noticed this, too, which made the JER route less popular with the crew. I also used to crew the LCY-JFK route on the baby Airbus, and those passengers were extremely high up. They were some of the nicest passengers one could hope to interact with.

I will agree with the consensus of the group which is either provide a decent Afternoon Tea or don’t bother at all. BA seem to enjoy short-changing people, which annoyed the heck out of me as a crew and as a passenger.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller June 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller June 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls