Do priority tags really work?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)

• SimonRowberry
    Participant

Lasse,

Don’t be too hard on HEL. When I lived in Helsinki (2006-07), there were many occasions when my bags had arrived before I actually got to the carousel (on AY and SK predominantly). The priority tags may have meant that they were the last bags off, but at least they often beat me to the arrivals hall!!

HEL is still, in my view, one of the best airports in the world. I haven’t tried it since the recent terminal change (I have that pleasure tomorrow LHR-HEL-BKK-KUL) but I expect it’s still good.

From a wholly selfish point of view, it scores for me on another dimension: unlike any other airport I know, there is a smoking area adjacent to baggage reclaim. Therefore, even if my bags are delayed, I can indulge my flithy habit whilst waiting!

No-one has suggested what the LH ‘HOT’ tag means yet…..

StephenLondon
    Participant

HOT labels and/or HOT imprints on the bag tag seem to be the domain of LH. Bags on MCT (minimum connecting time) or close to it, ultra priority bags or bags that ck-in agents feel need special handling are often given the HOT tag / baggage label. They are put in the container which is the last one in and the first one out, regardless of whether it contains priority baggage or not, in order to give the baggage the best chances of making connections.

SimonRowberry
    Participant

Ah, ha! Thanks for that, Stephen.

Michel-Angelo
    Participant

I’ve seen the HOT labels that LH uses to indicate ‘get lively with it’. As an aside, my experience in flying via FRA is that a connection way above the MCT can quickly turn into a tight connection once you factor in the bus ride to / from the remote stand, the route march through what feels like miles of corridors and the crawl through a security check. It could be that the LH agents know this and tag accordingly.

SimonRowberry
    Participant

Totally agree, Michel-Angelo.

I actually don’t think I’ve ever arrived at FRA from BHX on LH and ever used anything but a remote stand. You’re absolutely right about how the airport infrastructure (or lack of) dramatically cuts down real connecting times. Also, the gate signposting is not very clear (on a par with VIE for that) and security, although reassuring, can be very slow. It’s also feels odd having to use narrow staircases or irregular lifts to get around the terminal. It’s a total contrast to MUC, which is one of my favourite airports in Europe.

A colleague once suggested to me that FRA’s strapline should be: “Fraport – Proof that Germans DO have a sense of humour.” A touch harsh, I felt……..(no offence intended to my many German friends).

AlexSW1
    Participant

My personal experience accross the board is, at best, it’s 50/50 – sometimes it works and my bags are among the first off and then the rest of the time it’s towards the back. Like some commentators here, I do not bother to ask for them anymore. Actually, to be honest, I avoid checking in bags at all now for many reasons. When that plane pulls up at the gate I just want to get away as quickly as I can.

zqn1702
    Participant

In my experience, I flew on ZRH-SIN-NRT by all way through SQ last week. The Swissport agent made a priority tag in my suit case. It was really old typed tag with a rubber band. I had a 7-hour lay over in SIN. My flight operated by A380 was fully booked. Though my flight arrived in NRT before 8am, my baggage came down to the belt approximately 45 minutes later. My priority tag has been gone anywhere. I claimed a SQ luggage claim desk, and they told me that they put my bag in a different cargo. It was a long wait. Be more careful for A380 flight.

VintageKrug
    Participant

Good result this Monday am.

My UA F checked (and overweight!) luggage arrived on the belt just 20 minutes after landing at LHR T1.

StephenLondon
    Participant

UA tend to be very good about priority baggage, actually. They even will offer it on selected domestic US flights (DEN-SFO, for example), and indeed, every bag with the orange priority sticker came off first. It is BA that is the worst – shameful, in fact! Gggrrrhhhhh….

SimonRowberry
    Participant

Equally good results for me recently – my priority-tagged bags pretty much first off on AY LHR-BKK (via HEL) and on the way back to LHR. This somewhat contradicts my earlier assertion about Finnair!

Also, priority tagged on Thai as Star Alliance Gold Member (flying Economy) and arrived very quickly at both KUL and BKK.

Expat_Consultant
    Participant

Sort haul around Europe – doesn’t work, its a waste of a tag

Long haul, its dependent on the combination of carrier and luggage handler

VintageKrug
    Participant

its = possessive

it’s = it is

Not especially difficult, really.

randyoz
    Participant

A380 handles too many passengers and too much luggage. If you take a Y-class on it, it will take a longer than any other aircrafts.

SimonRowberry
    Participant

Tut, tut, VK. You’re winding people up (yet) again. Too many late nights supervising check-in for the World’s Most Ailing Airline, or wrong time of the month again?

Although I’ve made my own views known about standards of literacy in this Forum, it may be worth you remembering, VK, that not everyone is as fortunate as we (yes, that’s the correct case, not “us”) to have English as their native language.

VintageKrug
    Participant

I think, SimonRowberry, you mean “pronoun” not “case”.

But then as I am not English, it may be that I am incorrect….. 😉

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls