Do children belong in executive lounges?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 159 total)

• Papillion53
    Participant

Oh well put Canucklad! LOL!

SimonRowberry
    Participant

Judy,

You totally disappoint me. My son is nearly 13 and has (and many of you will recall from my numerous earlier posts on this and related subjects) been travelling with me since he was in nappies (diapers to you, JN).

He has almost always travelled in premium class and stayed In Exec Floors in Hiltons, Starwoods and God knows where else. He has also used Star Gold Lounges worldwide (including LH and LX Senator Lounges). As far as I am aware, he has never caused anyone a problem (and no, I am NOT a blind parent).

To put it bluntly, since the age of around 8, he has become as P O’d as I have at the crass, ignorant and piggish behaviour of ego-centric and selfish business travellers. Whether in F or J cabins, Hotel or Airline Exec Lounges.

It isn’t the kids, Judy. They have as much right as any of us if the qualifications allow them access (and I’m not talking about age). Logically, it is the parents that are paying out of THEIR pocket for the access, whether by means of the F or J ticket, the Exec Floor room or having spend their cash on qualifying for the elite Hotel Status. Not (generally) as a company expense, but out of their own pocket (at least, that’s the case with my family).

Judy, I am staggered at you. I thought you had more compassion and sense. Don’t blame the kids for the adults’ behaviour.

And YES, they have as much right to be there as we do. And NORMALLY we don’t see them acting like self-important boors shouting on their mobile phones or snapping their fingers for another drink, or stealing all the overhead bin space, or filling their plates to overflowing at the free buffet, or drinking themselves stupid before a flight simply because they CAN, etc etc etc.

Yes. I feel strongly about the crap that you and others have spouted, on this and other threads. Damned right I do. Get a life, Judy. I never thought I would ever say that to you.

Simon

SimonRowberry
    Participant

Binman, Martyn, Nigel, Ian, VK, MoM, Papillon, Cannucklad etc,

It seems we are all, for possibly the first time on this Forum, in agreement –

Judy. Your snobbish views on this subject have no support and are unwelcome. Unanimous. That is staggering. Solidarity at last!!

Thanks at least for that. Even if your comments are utterly obnoxious.

SimonRowberry
    Participant

I’ll leave you all with a thought about who should be where.

Monday October 1, around 16.30, Scanorama Lounge, CPH. A guy on his mobile phone, first speaking Norwegian then, later, English. I tried to ignore him and this crap went on for over an hour. I thought he was within a few feet. I got up to “water the horse” and found that he was actually sitting on the other side of the Lounge, some 20 metres away. And yet I could hear him like he was next to me.

Loads of kids in the Lounge at the same time. I hardly knew they were there and they most certainly didn’t disturb me like den norske tosken did.

I know who’d I rather have in any Lounge or any premium cabin. The kids don’t know better and don’t yet have the life experience. So many “business travellers” do, and yet still act like R Soles.

Simon

Binman62
    Participant

SimonRowberry – 10/10/2012 00:09 GMT

Thank you.

Papillion53
    Participant

SimonR – your writings struck a chord with me and as Binman simply said – “thank you”.

canucklad
    Participant

SimonR…..same sentiments from me &

Papillion thanks for the LOL….I think i got the signifcance….Are you home yet and enjoying our own wonderous piece of nature ?

Papillion53
    Participant

Hi CanuckLad – yes you did!

I’m afraid we are home and DH back to doing what he does best in providing for Mrs P’s next adventure! 😉

enjoying a lovely sunny day but boy is it cold! 3C when I took the hounds out this morning!
    I’m just about to post the last part of our adventure – so stay tuned!

HonestCrew
    Participant

Woooah there peeps!
    Don’t be so hard on Judy.
    I think she wasn’t contesting ‘the right’ for children to be allowed into a lounge, rather whether it is suitable to take children in there for the sake of the consideration of others. Others who may be there to work, not simply for the free canapés and mini cans of Coke.

Bottom line is annoying/loud people do not know they are annoying/loud so maybe the decision to allow their offspring into certain places needs to be decided by others.

I feel the calibre of the regular posters on this forum are such that their children are well mannered and behaved but let’s not turn so hard on a poster highlighting something that we have all encountered at some point and at the time no doubt were really peed-off about.

VintageKrug
    Participant

Indeed, I don’t think judy deserves the vitriol heaped upon her.

Shall we now keep resuscitating this thread while rehearsing the same tired arguments?

It does seem there is appetite to do so.

Best to let it rest.

EU_Flyer
    Participant

“Just as with premium cabins, it is the parents’/guardians’ responsibility to ensure they are appropriately behaved or (and of course this isn’t an option on an aircraft) remove them”

Ian_from_HKG, I beg to differ.

Nothing shuts a kid up more than an explosive decompression at 37,000 ft after you’ve thrown the little munchkin out the exit.

In all seriousness, kids are kids and yes, when you’re trying to work on a plane or in a lounge and there are kids screaming, it’s annoying.

But so were the loud, noisy alcoholic Aussie sales reps celebrating some deal one Friday night at the QF/BA Business (or is that First?) lounge in Singapore a few weeks ago as I was trying to enjoy a quiet glass of something French at the end of a busy week.

Life sucks at the top.

SimonRowberry
    Participant

Hi Alex. I hope to get to the top one day to find out!!

Cheers, Simon

BeckyBoop
    Participant

I am cool with kids on planes in premium cabins and in hotels. However one small place that can be a nuisance is in the hotel pool usually in the Spa. It can be quiet a distraction as Spa’s are meant to be quiet and relaxed places and if I am trying to swim lengths it is not nice when kids make waves or cut across your path. However most good hotels adopt quiet or adult only times. This is a good concept as it gives the best for both children and adults… perhaps this can be adopted in to exec lounges?

VintageKrug
    Participant

Call the Hangman, this thread need to be put out of its misery!

canucklad
    Participant

Papillion…when talking about our own wonderous piece of nature I was reffering to the aurora borealis ……. seen all over Scotland apparently……excepting for Edinburgh and the east!!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 159 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls