Do children belong in executive lounges?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 159 total)

• Papillion53
    Participant

Here’s another one!

As the DH and I love to cruise I occasionally read a cruise forum and the same topic is hotly discussed over there as well – should children be allowed on luxury cruise lines?

Mr LP – signed up for twitter and saw your gorgeous photos of the elephants and wow that afternoon tea – how fabulous!

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Wow Martyn, you must be bored to count them. I was waiting BT’s answer!

Thanks Papillion, the tea was great, in a hotel on the top of the Zuurberg pass. Have a look, it’s stunning.

http://www.portfoliocollection.com/go/Zuurberg-Mountain-Village

Some fool posted 3 threads of gibberish pushing this out, so I’m bumping it back. Possible new topic “should children be banned from luxury cruises” Papillion?

4 more to go!!!

PatJordan
    Participant

Stunning is an understatement, LP. Absolutely beautiful.

Now only 3 more to go !!

canucklad
    Participant

Totally magnificent, only been to Kenya LP and that was stunning….

A colleague has just returned from Botswana and Zambia and her photo’s are ………………………. undescriable…….walking with lions, crocodiles but the best is her jumping into the Devil’s pool at Victoria falls………Totally scary……and now on my bucket list!!

And LP, they say that once you’ve been to Africa it will always pull you back ??

2 to go…………..roll on Judy…

Papillion53
    Participant

Mr LP – thanks for that link! On my list now!

Canucklad, Africa leaves footprints on your heart. I have not been to South Africa but the DH spent a lot of time in Mossel Bay working, but we have visited Kenya, Mozambique, Zanzibar.

Here’s a little story for you to read with your morning coffee, or tea if you prefer VK!

When we were in Nairobi, we visited Karen, an area in Nairobi named after the Danish writer Karen Blixen whom I’m sure you will all know from the film “Out of Africa”. We went to her house as it is now a visitor attraction and they have furnished it with props from the film, so I was quite happy to think I sat in a chair that Robert Redford may have sat in during filming! This is a link to her story http://www.karenblixen.com/

She tried to grow coffee but sadly failed, however, they have kept some of the machinery that she had used in an old barn – an enormous coffee grader. What made me jump up and down, no no no sign of RR, but the machine itself has been manufactured in Aberdeen, Scotland, by a company my late Mum worked for as a young lady before she married my Dad! The guide showing us around was equally as excited as I think until that point he has no idea where Aberdeen, Scotland was!

I related this tale to a business acquaintance when I returned to the uk and he suggested that I telephone another gentleman he knew to tell him this tale. Well I did, and it turns out that this man actually bought this original company but it no longer manufactures these machines in the UK, but in the far east and he exports these machines to Uganda, where they produce a lot of coffee. He regaled me with tales of Uganda and whetted my appetite for a visit which we have yet to undertake. So small world eh?

Binman62
    Participant

Come on, we’re are all waiting with bated breath for page 8

Papillion53
    Participant

Was wondering who would resurrect this thread! Ah Binman62 – you win!

Anyone stuck in executive lounges today with the fog, with or without the kids????

Papillion53
    Participant

What did I win – page 8!!!!??????

Kathieps
    Participant

Simon etc.
    Did you actually read Judy’s note?
    What are you getting so insulting for? She simply said what had happened, did not pass judgement on the behaviour, said ‘No harm done’ and asked your opinion.
    There is no need for a personal attack.

SimonRowberry
    Participant

Kathieps,

Err…. If you’d “actually read” the full thread, you’d have noted my unreserved apology to Judy. And, I believe, apologies from others as well.

Regards, Simon

Kathieps
    Participant

So you did, way back on page 3, must have skipped that one.
    Good on yer then.
    Kathieps

alwaysreadytofly
    Participant

Papillion53

I live in Uganda, it is indeed a stunning country and one you must visit. The coffee and tea plantations are so magical.
    I also have a lot of friends in the coffee biz, what is the name of the company you talk of on page 7 when you were in Karen. I will ask a friend here who knows all the players and machines very well.

the world may yet be even smaller

coudntthinkofaname
    Participant

Seeing this thread pop up from time to time on BT’s home page makes me chuckle. It must be something to do with the groans of despair from VK that I’m convinced I can hear….

millionsofmiles
    Participant

And how about sitting in an African Lodge, watching the sunset with a GT in your hands, groaning of lions and other wildebeast…romantic, wild and beautiful.
    Suddenly a shriek, loud and obnoxious sound: a screaming child, nonstop….And a couple shows up with that screaming kid, at the table beside yours….
    Wouldn’t you just LOVE to feed them to any predatory animal?

LuganoPirate
    Participant

“And how about (with apologies Millions) sleeping in an African Lodge, pitch dark, no cell phone, no internet, with several GT’s in your belly, groaning of lions and other wildebeast…romantic, wild and beautiful.
    Suddenly a shriek, loud and obnoxious sound: a screaming child, nonstop….”

That’s exactly what happened to me. After a night drinking with a welshman and an irish barman, going back to my lodge in the pitch dark. Welshman, wife and daughter were the only other guests. It was a tented lodge, fabulous. And the screams of a child started, and went on and on. The sounds of a child being killed – to put it mildly…..

I was absolutely petrifed. Pitch black I could see nothing. I did not even know where they were sleeping. Finally got to sleep and slept fitfully, alone.

Finally dawn breaks and I’m up to the lodge. My freind Greg who’d invited me and the owner were there laughing, knowing I’m a city boy. “Did you enjoy the show last night” they joked. What was it, sounded like a child being killed? Close they said, turned out it was a Caracal killing a baby bush pig.

How the mind plays tricks with the imagination! Unforgettable and as you say Canucklad, once Africa is in the blood, it never leaves. I have it in me since I was 16!

Page 8 I see and well into it. Will we beat the babes in Premium cabins at 11 pages…The race is on….

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 159 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls