Do airlines do enough to keep their aircraft clean?

Back to Forum
Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)

• MrMichael
    Participant

I too worry more about Hotels than I do Aircraft. Cleaning as I try telling my two girls….is about the things you cannot see, not the untidiness you can see. Since hearing that even in 4/5 star hotels the cups glasses etc in the room are washed in the bathroom/toilet I have refused to use them. I did not ask what they dry them up with……anyone……?

icenspice
    Participant

Good evening AMcW

The last time I flew SQ Y was 6 years ago from Heathrow to Manila return. I honestly don’t remember if hot towels were provided…..I don’t think so, but could be wrong.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Thanks icenspice –

In the meantime I’ve checked and, yes, SIA still provides hot cloth towels in economy class.

I checked only long flights but the same should be the case (as it always was) on shorter flights.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Interesting topic Transtraxman.

LH and LX both provide these koln type tissues in Business. They’re also in the lounges and I always take a few which I keep in reserve for non plane travel.

During the long layover in JNB again both LX and LH have their planes thoroughly cleaned, but somehow I’ve always had the impression they clean their aircraft properly even during short turn round times.

Unlike you Canucklad, I don’t open the door with a tissue, but i do wash my hands before using the toilet and of course afterwards. I then open the door with a tissue, put the tissue in the waste bin and close the door with my foot.

I don’t wish to go off topic, but I’m equally worried when using other forms of public transport such trains and even hire cars whose steering wheel and gear lever etc get the once over with said airline koln tissues.

Cleancabinair
    Participant

If there were a facility for photos in Forums I could post a pic that I took shortly after take off from Dubai(Home base) for an airline in their First Class facility. It shows a the filth on a tissue taken from the floor of the facility. Obviously not cleaned at all in the home base before allocated a flight.. you would hope that there would be more attention to hygiene in the home base rather than down the line!! A steam mop for floors should be employed to quickly clean the surface and kill bacteria!

canucklad
    Participant

We’re having this discussion about germ warfare, and in our clinically cleansed western society we view our invisible to the naked eye neighbour’s as the enemy .Alien’s in our spick and span perfect world!!
    But, maybe we’re wrong. Rather than alcoholically annihilating them by sterilizing every inch of surface that appears within a blink of our eyes, maybe we should do the opposite.

And that’s view them, as our microscopic friends. Have a more symbiotic relationship with them. By embracing certain germs, we do indeed build our immune system, making us stronger. So when we do have to travel to those places that view cleanliness as a distraction to everyday life , and are fascinated with foreigner’s fascination with hand wipes, the origins of ice, examining lettuce leaves are amongst just a few of the idiosyncratic habits that befuddle our hosts when we travel..

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls