Dixons prices at Gatwick

Back to Forum
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

• Anonymous

openfly
    Participant

Just been to look at iPads in Dixons Nth Term LGW. I asked if the indicated prices were duty free/duty paid as there was only one price on each display item.
    “Neither” was the reply. “They are all one price….we do not sell duty or tax free. We are just cheaper than the high street”. The iPads I was looking at are actually cheaper on the high street.
    You can fool some of the people some of the time……

Alexthegreat
    Participant

The same with me. Last month when I was transiting T5/LHR, I checked in Dixons for the price of the iPhone 6 and they had a small placard stating that they were cheaper than their competitors ie £20. When I asked about the VAT I was told its not Duty/Tax Free and no they didnt have any forms for me to go claim it back afterwards. Courteous? Yes. Friendly and interested to sell me an iPhone? Definitely not!

BA744fan
    Participant

With modern tills having multiple programmable keys, would it be so difficult to press a button after scanning the barcode, to say whether it is an EU or ROTW transaction, therefore keeping/removing the VAT element?

I haven’t bought anything ‘duty free’ in years because I simply don’t trust their price promises.

Charles-P
    Participant

In my view “Duty Free” is now up there with “Sale” as simply a marketing phrase. The Channel Tunnel Shops have “duty free” signs up even though cross channel duty free was eliminated years ago.

I have been looking for a new phone for my wife on my last couple of trips and the most competitive I found for a Samsung was Dubai Airport. Brussels, Heathrow and Munich Airports were all more expensive than our local high street stores.

openfly
    Participant

Along the same lines….BA short haul crew announce “duty free/tax free goods” on intra-EU flights!

esselle
    Participant

Duty Free was based on a particular tax levied on alcohol, tobacco and petrol. Tax free was a reference to a sales tax, in the case of the UK this being VAT.

Don’t get aerated by the sales material; buy it if it represents better value than you could get elsewhere, otherwise don’t.

greyhawkgeoff
    Participant

seen recently on the side of a LT double decker going to LHR a suitably large ad befitting the vehicle for Heathrow Duty Free, complete with an asterix * and in small print except Boots, Dixons and WH Smith. Need one say more?

SimonS1
    Participant

Depending on where you are travelling to the price could be duty free or duty paid. What they told you is complete b/s but probably what you would expect from someone like Dixons.

esselle
    Participant

Greyhawkgeoff

See my post. Duty only ever referred to perfume and tobacco.

alistairNicoll
    Participant

One of the great con tricks!

Note also that product codes may vary so that what is actually the same product is on sale at the same (or even cheaper price) on the high street but because of the different product code it can be claimed to be a different model

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls