Disruption at Amsterdam Schiphol

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

• AMcWhirter
    Participant

If you’re planning to use Amsterdam Schiphol in the coming days be aware that there is news of passengers’ baggage being delayed at the airport.

KLM has just posted an advisory on the current situation and says that the “disruption will continue in the coming days.”

According to KLM the “disruption has resulted in thousands of suitcases being left behind at the airport.”

http://news.klm.com/disruption-at-amsterdam-airport-schiphol/

FDOS_UK
    Participant

Bad show 🙁

MrMichael
    Participant

Off to AMS first thing in the morning, fortunately hand baggage only.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

FDOS_UK
    Participant

The sign should say ‘Zwarthol’ by the tone of KLM’s announcement.

DavidGordon10
    Participant

Has anything been said about the cause of this? I am due to transit through AMS tomorrow.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Update: It’s been decided today that the extra security arrangements at and around Schiphol airport will remain in place for an extended period.

So if you plan to reach Schiphol by road or rail the advice is to allow an extra 30 mins to allow for security checks and so on.

MarcusGB
    Participant

I flew through into AMS Weds, out to Eastern Europe Thursday, and back Sunday from E. Europe connecting to LCY.

Yes the airport was exceptionally busy, many younger people and families travelling out on holiday, but this is normal at this time of year.
    KLM check in areas were running smoothly, both self serve and at desks.
    No queues at Immigration (electronic gates and all desks with Officers). 5 mins or less at the security rows with all open, using full body scanners for every lane.
    My connection had a total of 90 minutes from landing, to take off, and my bag was through no problems.
    I did stopover in Amsterdam on the way out, but again retrieval and check-in no problems.

Trains Schiphol / Amsterdam very busy, but 10 trains an hour at least ran smoothly and quickly. I actually only had 2 hrs from my hotel to take off, and no delays for travel, or at the airport. There was no visible change in terms of security travelling in by train, but then i would never as any World airport, depend on the roads, always congested and often delays around Schiphol. Trains are far easier, reliable and swift 15 minutes to the city and out around the country.
    The Air France strike has lead to many using KLM in the last days, or re-booked to them. Flights everywhere were said to be full or overbooked on KLM.
    However, the re-designed and expanded Schiphol was working very well, not forgetting that an extra floor has been put onto most terminal D-H, doubling capacity, and easier flow, both incoming and outgoing. Incoming security is a separate area now on a different floor, outside of Europe.
    Flights were not delayed from KLM, though several BA flights on the days i went through were 1-2 hours late LHR and LCY, where as KLM flights were on time.

If all these aspects hit LHR it would be chaos and delays everywhere, but Amsterdam is running within its new capacity very well. It is a very busy time of year, so extra congestion is to be expected.

miningguy
    Participant

My AMS>LHR flight was cancelled yesterday and I was rebooked on a later service. BA flew out a 777 to I assume make up for the number of passengers stranded – this surprised a lot of passengers. Booked into Euro Traveller, I found myself upgraded to Club, which when boarding turned out to be one of the new First seats. A nice bonus! (although after experiencing the seat, which for the price it costs, I am not sure if its really worth the extra money over Club).

DavidGordon10
    Participant

Transit through Amsterdam yesterday, arriving from Osaka, onward to London. There was no problem and all went very smoothly, apart from a couple of slightly officious staff at security. Sorry to see there may be an impending baggage handling problem.

Edski777
    Participant

Update for Wednesday, August 3 22:00 hours local.

No problem with strikes at AMS Schiphol as a judge ruled against the trade union to go on strike. The trade union and KLM have been ordered to resume talks and give the judge at least until August 11th to decide.
    In the mean time the trade union has announced that they will not go on strike until August 18th.

The expectation is that the trade union FNV and KLM will reach an agreement in the mean time. This ain’t France!

AMS Schiphol is running as usual, although it is busy due to the holiday season. The only people affected by longer travelling times are the people travelling to the airport from within the Netherlands by road. Heightened security measures are in force around the airport due to an increased security threat.

Train transport between Amsterdam and the airport is not available until August 9th due to extensive rail upgrades around Amsterdam to increase the capacity and enhance the performance of the train system.
    All passengers are taken by bus to and from the airport. Allow for 15 minutes extra travel time.
    Passengers from the direction of the Hague and Rotterdam are not affected.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Thanks for the info Edski777. I will be travelling from Rotterdam to AMS flug on Friday morning for a mid morning flight….

MrMichael
    Participant

Arrived at SOU an hour ago from AMS, delay minimal, we were about 10 minutes late. Certainly heightened security, very visible but I think disruption not too bad. Looking at departure boards everything pretty much seemed on time with a couple of exceptions (including the BA to LHR). In usual Dutch manner, security friendly but clearly very alert.

MarcusGB
    Participant

Amsterdam is one of the most capable airports in Europe, the one we nominate as the best for many years. it was clearly busy the 5 times in went through in the last two weeks. This was mainly due to holidays.
    Why is it the BA flights stand out as always delayed not just to LHR but LCY last Sunday delayed by 1.50 minutes?? The only flight of the day too…

Security is tighter and more visible, many armed Military on the two wheel platforms whizzing around, and in the station also.
    I do not use the roads in and out of Schiphol, as they are not reliable for timing into the airport, as much as the NL trains.
    However, how would we prevent any problems on the trains, when there is no enhanced security coming in?
    One of those City issues that really are impossible to cover for every possibility.
    Immigration is very fast with electronic gates, overseen by a senior Office at his high desk, and armed Military now. Colleagues man the non EU desks and come out when it is busy.
    Much improved Excellent.
    security has so many lanes with whole body scanners, in two main sections of the airport on a different floor now, so this also is divided, and hi tech, excellent.

Well done as always The Dutch and Schiphol

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I would not like to be checking in bags at Schiphol this morning, the q’s for most flights in T2 were ‘not short’.

Security was noticeably tighter, with the security machines being very sensitive. In the line I was in, I would estimate around 50% of bags going through the scanner, were diverted for the secondary check, but with 2 operatives working each lane, the secondary check (including wait) took around 10 minutes.

As someone warned, my originally selected train from Rotterdam was cancelled, but I only had to wait 15 minutes for the next one.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls