Highclere Castle refusing refunds

Back to Forum
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

• Bwgs
    Participant

UK travel locations need to be exposed for profiting from Covid-19. Highclere Castle (of Downton Abbey fame) is refusing to refund tickets booked during their government-mandated Coronavirus closure. Instead they are offering new dates in the autumn for rebookings. However this does not work for most people travelling from afar as our initial travel arrangements were interrupted and we have no plans to return to Britain later in the year.

It is wholly unacceptable for the Earl and Countess of Carvarvon to be profiting from the crisis! I have no doubt they have business interruption insurance, and they hardly have the ongoing cost base of a hotel or airline to cover. SHAME ON THEM!

They should be exposed for their intransigence.

1 user thanked author for this post.

capetonianm
    Participant

General comment, not directed at Highclere Castle or anyone else.

I was listening to a consumer affairs programme last night on LBC with a presenter called Clive Bull who had a travel expert with him on the programme. From what I gathered, any travel provider, not just airlines and tour operators, is obliged to give a cash refund where there is a mandated closure, or a travel ban which prevents people from taking up pre-booked and prepaid arrangements.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

@Bwgs – I currently have a cruise booked which departs from Southampton UK end of May. The departure date is outside of the current lockdown. Cruise line is offering a mixture of cruise credits and cash refunds if passengers wish to cancel at this stage. I can make a decision whether to travel up to 48 hours before departure. At this moment in time though, the cruise has NOT been cancelled. All operation shave been suspended until 15th May.

I think we all expect the UK lockdown will be extended, therefore changing the cruise status to ‘cancelled’ – my understanding at that point will be the cruise line will be legally obliged to refund in cash the full cost of the cruise. They may try to incentive passengers to take a cruise credit, instead of a refund by offering 125% or more of the refund amount.

I would be very surprised if your booking is within the current UK lockdown period that the hotel will not give you a refund, but do understand why they may offer you a credit, if your booking is outside the current 3 week lock down.

If it is within the current lockdown period, you could call their bluff and ask for them to arrange an airport pick up for you and confirm all facilities you have paid for remain open are open.

By the way, i am not a lawyer…

SimonS1
    Participant

[postquote quote=994932][/postquote]

I wouldn’t be making assumptions on intransigence and whether they are profiting – many businesses have no income but still have overheads (in this case repairs and maintenance, skeleton staff) etc. So they are hardly profiting.

Also I don’t know whether you have seen the wording of their insurance policies, but FYI most business interruption policies in UK don’t provide pandemic cover.

https://www.insurancebusinessmag.com/uk/news/breaking-news/coronavirus-firms-clarify-business-interruption-coverage-217610.aspx

If this is how you are coming across then it probably doesn’t help your cause and it would be better to wind your neck in a bit.

Probably the easiest way forward is to highlight to Highclere that you will not be returning to the UK and ask for reimbursement. Alternatively if they are digging their heels in then dispute the payments with your bank/credit card company and ask them to organise a charge back.

PeterCoultas
    Participant

Dear Bwgs…. I’m sad to see that you have discovered the general approach of the british aristocracy to those who have inherited less than them…

FaroFlyer
    Participant

Martyn wrote I currently have a cruise booked which departs from Southampton UK end of May. The departure date is outside of the current lockdown. Cruise line is offering a mixture of cruise credits and cash refunds if passengers wish to cancel at this stage. I can make a decision whether to travel up to 48 hours before departure. At this moment in time though, the cruise has NOT been cancelled. All operation shave been suspended until 15th May.

I also have a cruise booked, with MSC ex Barcelona. The cruise line offer flexibility of changes but will not give refunds. They only offer future cruise credit to the value of the cruise being changed, and only in the same geographic area, and must be used by end 2021. The big sting in the tail is that you must first pay the cruise in full before you can cancel for FCC. We have cancelled and forfeited the small deposit as the same category cruise no longer exists.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

@Faroflyer – I am sure you have seen the MSC website

“For any affected sailings due to take place before 30th April travel agents or direct customers who have not yet been contacted will receive a communication in the coming days however please bear with us as we deal with all immediate sailings”.

I presume if your sailing is before 30th April [HALTING OF FLEET OPERATIONS THROUGH TO 30 APRIL[ (from MSC website) – you will get a full refund. After 30 April, MSC, like other cruise lines are trying to save their business, with cruise credits.

I have no Government insight or medical training, but I think it will need more than a miracle for any cruise line or scheduled flight to go in April, May or June. In that case surely the cruise line have to offer refunds in cash

Fletchjc
    Participant

We also are victims of Highclere Castle not granting a refund. We have asked for this, and they refuse only will allow us to use at another time. However, we are from the USA and uncertain when we will be able to come to the UK.

Fletchjc
    Participant

How then do we get Highclere Castle to give us one. We live overseas. Have tried emails.

SimonS1
    Participant

If you paid by card I would suggest raising a dispute with your card provider and ask them to charge back on your behalf.

Skitourguy
    Participant

Highclere Castle is not answering its phones or its emails. Are there any rumours about financial difficulties? I know a few people who are trying to get refunds for events cancelled by the Castle but they cannot get any response. As indicated by one of the earlier commentators they are required by law to issue refunds.
    Any suggestions as to how to get hold of them?

cwoodward
    Participant

Absolutely no financial difficulties?
    The mere suggestion unless you have evidence of these ‘rumors’ and you can back-up the claim that you have posted on a public forum is probably unwise.
    Try 01635 250600

SimonS1
    Participant

[postquote quote=998263][/postquote]

Steady tiger. He is asking IF there are any rumours, not suggesting there are.

A perfectly reasonable question in the current environment where the supplier has cancelled, refused a refund and is not responding to messages.

I appreciate they are on skeleton staff but Lady Canarvon does seem to have time for her blog.

Another option may be twitter but in the absence of any response I would ask the card provider to handle it.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls