Direct Aisle Access

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 67 total)

• AMcWhirter
    Participant

Correct me if I’m wrong but, so far, the only B787 operator with direct aisle access will be QR.

Carriers have tended to opt for 2-2-2 seating in J class with BA having chosen 2-3-2.

http://www.businesstraveller.com/news/ba-b787-and-a380-layout-confirmed

Londonian
    Participant

Hello Binman
    as you say horses for courses, but in this instance I was just commenting on the aisle access question rather than the different service levels offered. My point was that for me, it is easier to step over the footstool arrangement in the Club World layout to get to the aisle, than it is to get to the aisle, say from a window seat on an MAS or Qantas A380. I am a big fan otherwise of Qantas and MAS.

Ah,Mr.Bond
    Participant

Direct aisle access will be considered the norm in the next generation of business class seat, just as flat bed seats that were rolled out 10 years+ ago are now were considered standard issue for any half decent business class offering.
    If a carrier is not rolling direct aisle out now then it will be lagging behind the major players..
    BA take note ; 2-4-2 is not acceptable in Club World – FACT. Don’t know who the people taking the survey are, but 100% of people I know travelling in business class would want direct aisle acces if given the choice.

RCinBelper
    Participant

I have been to Aus three times already this year with a further four trips planned (so far). I only fly first or business in the 1 of a 1-2-1 or 1-1-1 configuration. Therefore, if BA wants my £…..RC

rcfyelee98
    Participant

Mr Bond’s point is actually very good.

When BA first launched the flat bed, I remember talking to senior management at SQ about how that product would force them to react and change seats from the cradle to a flat bed. Very tellingly, they said that they wouldn’t because 1) the economics of flat beds would be unprofitable and 2) it would cannibalise their 1st class business.

Well, we know how long SQ stuck to that line of thought before they reacted.

GoonerLondon
    Participant

2 things:

You cant keep looking at “throw away” phrases like 2-4-2 and direct aisle access. And assume its case closed. Im surprised others haven’t mentioned this given the wealth of flying experience on here.

AA old J and LH (for 2) have very poor aisle access from most of their J non-asile seats where one or both of you have to actually put the seat back so you can get out. Thats what I call bad aisle access. BA J is not like this. Unless you are very short, its easy to step over a sleeping person. So it might not be fully direct, but its hardly an issue. Many would trade the better privacy in a BA J window seat for this “dreadful inconvenience”

2-4-2 is the biggest load of nonsense. The patented design maximises the actual personal space in the seat. There is just as much ‘floor footprint’ per BA J seat as the newer gen competitor seats mentioned. The fact that it is in 2-4-2 layout is neither here nor there. (BA take note ; 2-4-2 is not acceptable in Club World – FACT.. Really?!!!) Its a bit like slamming Singapore because they put so many rows of J seats in their cabin. Disingenuous to say the least.

But perception is reality – the folks on the BA forum are at least not the usual suspects on here, and it must concern BA that the product is being compared unfavourably. That said, there is much more to J product than just the aisle access of course – and I will look forward to see what the new AA product is actually like.

Personally I agree with Senator : “Despite the lack of aisle access, I find the BA CW seat preferable to many of the above alternatives for one simple reason; the openness around me. The Contour seats, as they slide down into the seat in front, have a coffin like experience. I sense more of the “sardine-like” feeling from this, then the eight seats across on BA.”

And plenty do too!

Lets not forget – its the other airlines playing catch up. In some elements they might overtake a little, but then Im sure BA will respond. The way some people talk on here is as if BA are the old state laughing stock – they have innovated in every area of cabin design, so I don’t understand why there is such negativity on this forum sometimes. It wont stay the same forever – but i will be surprised they drop the current ring-yang principle given its competitive advantage

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

Let’s apply a football analogy for Gooner.

BA CW is like Arsenal. Nice club, everyone respects them, but they are fighting to get 4th place in the EPL, 18 points behind the champions.

Of course if you look down the table, you will find 16 teams below, some very close (like Spurs), others a long way away.

Direct aisle access (Etihad, Jet, new AA etc) is like Man Utd, whilst the staggered 1-2-2, 2-2-1 is like Man City and Chelsea.

Being 4th is more successful than being 20th (Egyptair), but after many seasons without a trophy, the fans want more.

lloydah
    Participant

Nice to see you FDFos, again with a clear and straightforward analogy. I don’t always agree with you but I always read you and find your posts either illuminating or simply helpful.

Be_Nice
    Participant

Hello FDoS

Missed you last 2 days.

Marlene.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

ditto FDoS – nice to read your posts again… :)))

sparkyflier
    Participant

Welcome back from your sabbatical Fdos – loved your analogy above!

FaroFlyer
    Participant

Although I prefer direct access as a principle, to avoid disturbing a fellow passenger during a night flight, I have switched to window seats. The reason is that I find the heavy tread of some flight crew, and passengers, banging up and down the aisle, and the rattle of trolleys, disturbs sleep.
    The herringbone layout, although claustrophobic compared with BA upper deck, does have the distinct advantage that your head is away from the noise of the aisle.

Papillion53
    Participant

Did you all miss FDoS post yesterday – was I the only one to welcome him back then? 🙂 Anyway – glad you’re still here sparring partner! 🙂

I don’t know what all the fuss is about 64A – I had that seat once and never again – it is at the top of the stairs, the CC seemed to use that galley as a gathering and chatting place and I had to get up to ask them to be quiet (overnight flight) – as even with ear plugs on I could hear all about their latest escapades down route! The DH was in 64B and he hated it – got bashed about every time one of the CC or a pax went past. Every time anyone walked down the aisle the whole place shook and I felt like “Zebedee” lying on a water mattress!

I think I prefer the main deck (nearer the Club Kitchen as well unless WT+ have cleared it out!) but we are trying the upper deck later this year but further forward. I always prefer an aisle seat so I don’t have to climb over anyone, as its not very ladylike to clamber over anyone if one is wearing a skirt – even though some may quite enjoy it! 😉

MartynSinclair
    Participant

60J :))

I remember a thread once about 60B……. it does have aisle access, but sometimes reserved for ………..errrrm…… The Captain…. (guess he needs aisle access!!)…

Cheeryguy
    Participant

I remember a thread once about 60B……. it does have aisle access, but sometimes reserved for ………..errrrm…… The Captain…. (guess he needs aisle access!!)…
    I believe from chatting to the crew that the reason 60B is used is that through the bulkhead in front of it is the flight crew bunk area. Less chance of the wall being kicked bashed or knocked by the footstool if a crew member uses it thus less risk of disturbing a resting pilot.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 67 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls