Ding… who uses the call button on-board?

Back to Forum
Viewing 6 posts - 31 through 36 (of 36 total)

• alainboy56
    Participant

I admire comments from forum members advising to catch the eye of the cabin crew and establish a little rapport early on and fully concur with these sentiments but, and I also, am one who is reluctant to use the call button, however, I ask, have any contributors flown medium or long haul with ALITALIA? I have flown quite a few times years ago out of DXB and more recently AUH, to MXP or FCO. I have found that after the cabin crew have carried out their service runs, they then disappear to their rest areas (I remember on the B763’s, they used to block off 2 or 3 rows at the back in the centre aisle with curtains), and did not want to be disturbed (and this was on flights of 5-6 hrs only). I recall once having already encountered them and chatted in Italian to them, (i.e. they knew I spoke Italian) many hours later, after I wished to call for a red wine (as in UAE it was around midday or so), and they did not answer, so I rang a second time, after a while a girl arrived, visually angry, looked at me and said “YES?”
    — I can tell you all, I really did respond to her in very good ‘hard’ street Italian that she a rude bitch and wouldn’t last 5 mins on any other proper ‘flag-carrier service’ airline or words to that effect. But that’s Alitalia, the crew are all ‘untouchables’ and union protected, most of them are from Rome (obvious by their accents), and I am sure that EY and Mr Hogan have finally realised that they are, how shall we say ‘difficult to handle’ by now!

jsn55
    Participant

I’m laughing out loud … doncha know that you are not to TOUCH the call button … ever? Unless it’s a life-threatening emergency, I can’t imagine the terrible things that would happen if you rang the call button.

CBaker2
    Participant

Just flown back on the overnight flight from KL to London with MAS. Used the call button a couple of times during the night (for a coffee etc) as thought it disturbed other passengers less than my wandering around. Each time answered instantly so well done MAS.

IanFromHKG
    Participant

In premium seats on a premium airline there should be relatively few occasions when a call button is required as the crew will be attending to passengers’ needs proactively.

Meanwhile, back in the real world….

If I am flying in a premium cabin (as I exclusively do on long-haul, but much less so on regional) then I have no hesitation in using the call button if I want something UNLESS the crew are clearly busy (e.g. during meal service) UNLESS (that is, an exception to the exception!) they have clearly missed something when serving me and have moved on regardless, or I have a real urgent need. In fact, urgent need trumps everything and I would ring regardless of situation or cabin. Having had an urgent need a few times, sadly – catastrophic nosebleeds (I get fewer of those than I used to, fortunately, but in my time have been a real sufferer, to the extent of needing blood transfusion – although never while onboard!), needing water to take medication when seatbelt signs have been on for an extended period, and so forth, I can only reiterate a saying I read on another forum “it could be a Coke, it could be a stroke” – crew should respond REGARDLESS.

In an economy cabin I set my expectations accordingly. Cabin crew are more thinly stretched, and service levels are lower, so I will be less likely to press the bell. However, I will still press it if there is something I want (and is part of the service standard), or need, and there is no prospect of it being proactively offered.

Following those general rules, I think I can honestly say that I can’t recall any situation, apart from one or two where a crew member clearly had a problem with being there at all (one particular flight springs to mind where the FA concerned clearly resented life, her job, and most of all the passengers), where I have had an attitude from crew for using the call button.

The key, as always, is to be reasonable. If your cabin class merits extra service that you aren’t getting, it is reasonable to use the call button. If your cabin class merits basic service that you aren’t getting, it is reasonable to use the call button. If you have an urgent need that you can’t reasonably address yourself, it is reasonable to use the call button. And provided that the reason for using the call button is reasonable, and you are pleasant and reasonable about your request, I see no reason why any professional crew should not comply willingly and politely accede to the request.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

Beautifully written and no more needs to be said.

jsn55
    Participant

Do you greet the crew in a friendly fashion? Are you polite about whatever assistance you are given? Your demeanor is very important. You want the crew to know you’re on board and to pay attention to your needs. May I suggest that you bring a box of chocolates on board and give them to the first FA you encounter with a warm greeting, extending your wish that they are shared with the crew. Indicate that you are unable to wander around the plane on your own, so would they please be cognizant of your call button. If you have a positive outlook, are friendly and polite, you should receive much better service.

In the future if your call is ignored, make a strong complaint to the purser/chief steward. There’s no excuse for ignoring the call button of a passenger who cannot walk into the galley himself.

Viewing 6 posts - 31 through 36 (of 36 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls