Difficult question!

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

• Anonymous

Are you influenced by the various topics on this forum? In particular, I ask this question wrt the airline/cabin/route you choose. Or, are you set in your ways and no one can persuade you otherwise?

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

Relatively open-minded…. Sure, I have my clearly stated preferences but I will even consider Flyanscare if it is the only carrier to an obscure destination and there is no other reasonably priced alternative, short of walking.

Absolutely no intention of having anyone choke on their rice crispies with such a comment. ยง:-)

stevescoots
    Participant

As a seasoned ff I am not really influenced, I use the forum for advice but them make my own informed decision. I would not refuse to fly, use hotel or other service just on the words of one or 2 posters. I take the same attitude to other sites like trip advisor as well

IanFromHKG
    Participant

I won’t say that my travel choices are frequently affected, but I have occasionally been encouraged by what I have learnt on this forum to try new things. For example, a while ago, after reading fulsome praise from RichHT1 (a former member, not seen for some time, alas) to try AA across the pond. It wasn’t a wholly satisfactory experience (see my review here http://www.businesstravelerusa.com/discussion/topic/American-Airlines-B767-300ER-Business-5), but it was not something I would have tried but for this forum

JonathanCohen09
    Participant

Hi Alex,
    What an interesting thread to start, nice to have something different to discuss. I too am an experienced FF and in the past was very set in my ways, it used to be BA or no way.

I then learned through posts on here that I could save a lot of money if I was prepared to stop off in Europe and connect via a major hub. having my own business that meant I benefitted greatly from posts I read on here and information I requested from fellow posters.

Can I be influenced by what I read on the forum, yes I can be, but ultimately I will make my own decisions. Over the years, I have saved a lot of money and found better ways to get somewhere or better places to stay through the contributions of many of the posters on here and I am very grateful to all of them.

Long may it continue.

Safe travels everyone.

Papillion53
    Participant

Easy answer – not necessarily influenced, I am my own woman ๐Ÿ˜‰ :-), but have certainly picked up some some great advice and information and its always interesting to read others’ views on something we have experienced, whether its an hotel, airline, lounge etc. Actually, thinking back, we were influenced by opinions when we chose an hotel in Sydney last year! And thanks to Ian from HKG, we are going to enjoy a lovely brunch when we get to HKG next year!

And who knew about the free champers/coffee at Starbucks without one old sage, still departed, or is he busy on the parade ground these days? ๐Ÿ˜‰ ๐Ÿ™‚

And I have to mention here again, thanks to that old sage, the tips on booking with avios.

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

I must obey the laws of business travel

1 – schedule fit
    2 – cost
    3 – preference

I will be influenced by posts on here, especially in learning about good deals meeting #2 and setting expectations around #3.

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

“And who knew about the free champers/coffee at Starbucks without one old sage”

Anyone who reads Flyertalk ๐Ÿ˜‰

BTW, I heard a rumour (don’t know if it’s true) that the ยฃ15 wheeze is going to be withdrawn – if you multiply ยฃ15 x 111 = ยฃ1,665 per A380 flight.

Given the recent catering cutbacks in the lounges, it sounds plausible.

Papillion53
    Participant

FDoS, actually I still prefer STU. ๐Ÿ˜‰ ๐Ÿ™‚

Well I only know about flyertalk as I think you mentioned it on here some time ago, had a quick look ….. Gosh if anyone ever thought this forum could be em well, you know a bit “Joan Collins”, they have never read any of the posts over there! Just MHO! But there are some very good trip reports and photos.

And if you want to know what’s happening at Tesco …… LOL! ๐Ÿ˜‰ ๐Ÿ™‚

I think cost is such an important factor these days for everyone, whether travelling for business or pleasure, and I know for a fact that we’ve saved money from tips and information on this forum. Maybe that’s another thread to start ….. ๐Ÿ™‚

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

It is true, FT is full of divas ๐Ÿ™‚

But some of the posters are incredibly knowledgeable, although sadly they have lost some recently.

If you like advice on collecting/spending Avios points, Raffles from FT has a good site

http://www.headforpoints.com/

HongKongLady
    Participant

I am always interested to read people’s opinions and experiences, that give a little insight into a subject. Especially hotels and destinations as they are much more up to date than guide books.
    Lucky you aren’t in HK today Papillion53 looking out of my window over the harbour the weather is dreadful, Typhoon 3 and rising probably. Payback for the lovely blue skies we have been having.

Stowage222
    Participant

Hong Kong lady – I was in Hong Kong last week for a couple of days during the spell of clear weather. I have never in 40 years seen the place look so beautiful. Clear blue skies, beautiful sunrises/sunsets – wow! If only it could stay like that all the time……

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I can’t say I’m influenced, bit I’ve received much good advice and often act in it. I probably take more notice of the seasoned poster’s comments than from perhaps a first timer, as they may have an agenda, so like to see a few posts from those first to “prove” their credentials.

Swissdiver
    Participant

Great question!
    I am not sure “influenced” is the right word. There is however a lot of knowledge around here. So I certainly learned many things (although I am also a seasoned FF). Whether it affected my decisions depends on my personal experience, or not. On those products and services I experienced, not really. But on those I had not tried for some time, it could have had an influence, especially of course when I initiated the thread with a question.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls