Diamonds aren't forever.. the end of BMI Diamond Club and earn Avios earnings

Back to Forum
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

• theavidtraveller
    Participant

It feels like an end of an era… I received an email confirming that Diamond Club (formally the BMI loyalty programme taken over by BA) will be closing from the 30 September.

I was one of the fortunate ones which still earned 2.5 Avios for every pound spent on the 6o pound a year Diamond Club Mastercard. I’ll have to look for other credit card earning opportunities now but they seem to be far less generous.

Oh well, it was good while it lasted. Here’s to the memories of BMI and the good old (very generous and perhaps accelerated their demise) Diamond Club.

Remember to convert any miles on diamondclub.org to Avios by end of November otherwise you lose them.

Jon

FDOS_UK
    Participant

It’s four years snce the takeover, in a way I’m suprised it lasted so long, but understand your sense of loss.

CornishExile
    Participant

Quite ironic really, just last week I was clarifying on another forum that bmi (in Regional guise: BM) was not in fact a *A member, and how BA took over BD, which rather precluded their continued membership of *A.

Like many others, all the miles and status I accrued for use within the *A disappeared, so I had to start from scratch in *A. I chose M&M although I don’t think that was necessarily the best decision.

BD with the blue and grey livery were probably my favourite airline in Europe before they flirted with being a LCC – and I don’t mean bmibaby! It was indeed good while it lasted.

Fortunately BM continues (for now) to exhibit some of those positive traits, albeit much scaled down with their largest aircraft being ER4s.

onajetplane
    Participant

I actually regularly still avail of the 10% discount for BA flights that comes with still holding the BMI visa/amex. Today they indicated that bookings made after the 30th November will no longer get the 10% discount. Totally unsurprising but definitely sad to see it go.

canucklad
    Participant

RIP to a great airline
    RIP to my choice from EDI
    RIP to pleasant proud staff employed by the airline they represent

And BA, pay attention ……
    It’s not RIP to the memories I have of the great service I consistently received from the diamond geezers at BD !!

Tallinnman
    Participant

Any suggestions of what to replace it with

mikeact
    Participant

You obviously don’t read Head for Points, which is surprising as a reader of BT.

Tallinnman
    Participant

Hi MA

The Diamond card was so good I’d no real interest in moving until yesterday! I do read HfP but now mostly for price promotions. I’m going to let my BA Amex expire now and move away from collecting Avios as redemptions becoming too expensive.

theavidtraveller
    Participant

I’m grateful that it lasted this long as like other posters, I thought it was going to disappear along with BMI.

Does anyone know what will happen with the actual credit card post end of September? Will it earn other types of points or will it be a pointless, cash back less card, which carries a 60 pound fee?

Also, given that they’ve changed the rules of the game, does anyone know if we get some or all of our annual fee back?

Thanks

Jon

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls