Demonstrating “Proof of Funds” at BKK

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

• SimonRowberry
    Participant

Hi All,

Off to the Far East shortly and the itinerary involves arriving (twice) at BKK.

I have read that travellers need a certain sum in Baht or travellers’ cheques as “proof of funds” as well as an onward ticket.

I asked Martyn Sinclair whether he had ever been asked for such proof (in cash) and he said not. However, I thought I would ask the Forum whether any of you have had to do so, rather than run the risk of not meeting an alleged entry requirement.

Thanks as ever for your advice.

Simon

DavidSmith2
    Participant

I cannot speak specifically for BKK, but “Proof of Funds” is used by immigration services in many countries as a way of preventing entry to people who may be a drain on public services (or undertaking illegal activities which they cannot disclose). In the days of credit and debit cards and online banking, it is much more complex and rarely used in more straightforward cases. But it is a tool for the border services if they have suspicions. My best advice is to try to avoid attracting their attention as a potential ‘ne’er do well’ by avoiding things like t-shirts with cannabis plant pictures, excessive supplies of extra large rizzlas, and iguanas as support animals. Otherwise you should be ok in most situations.

6 users thanked author for this post.

cwoodward
    Participant

I travel in and out of Bangkok 6 or 7 times a year and have done for the past 30 years.
    Its been at least 20 years since I was asked to show proof of funds.
    Previously as I recall a return or onward ticket was enough as was a hotel reservation.

I tend not to do Tshirts with cannabis logos or the like and I often wear shoes !

1 user thanked author for this post.

SimonRowberry
    Participant

Thanks for the responses – noted!!

We are doing the whole trip in the pointy end and our hotels are all 5 Star, so hopefully we won’t be seen as being “undesirable” or potentially destitute…

Regards,

Simon

Chris in Makati
    Participant

I’ve just checked my flight log and see I’ve recorded over 80 flights into Thailand since 1983. Never once have I been asked about what funds I had available.

One thing you do need to be sure of is that you have an onward or return ticket. You will often be asked to show that at check-in, and possibly on arrival in Thailand as well.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Never been asked either, in over 18 years of travel.

One tip when you arrive, if you are flying business, there is a new new fast track immigration hall which I believe is accessible for all business class pax. The airport is getting busier …

SimonRowberry
    Participant

Thanks for the tip, Martyn.

Regards as ever,

Simon

cwoodward
    Participant

Not exactly new Martyn it’s been in place at least 4 years.
    Poorly marked for the first couple of years.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

[quote quote=1230912]Not exactly new Martyn it’s been in place at least 4 years.
    Poorly marked for the first couple of years.[/quote]

For accuracy, the new fast track immigration hall for business class / first passengers has reopened. πŸ™‚ sometime between March and August of this year…

Certainly in Dec 21 and March 22 fast track was not available or needed, as the immigration hall had lines perhaps 1 deep at worst…

Nice to see Thailand busy again..

2 users thanked author for this post.

Swissdiver
    Participant

I travel with a shirt and a blazer. This is probably why I’ve never been asked a proof of funds! That said, I also carry some USD just in case.

BiPlane
    Participant

Sorry not on topic, but as a matter of interest to Thailand visitors. UPDATE on entry requirements through Suvarnaphumi for U.S. visitors. I arrived Aug 17 and these were entry requirements: passport and vaccination certificate. The entry/departure form, which I’ve been filling out for 20 years, is no longer required. Curious. On the horizon, a possible 300 baht visitor charge, most likely added to airline tickets, since it will only be applied to entry by air.

maxgeorge
    Participant

There is also – or was, pre-Covid – a Geezer Immigration Fast Track.

65+, or at least look like it.

BiPlane
    Participant

The “Priority” entry lines are still there, off to the far right for Thai passport holders, etc. You should say “priority” or the minders will direct you into the general lines. You must be 70 or older to qualify for entry under age priority.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

The irony of this is, you may need to show some proof of funds, ie. cash, but then if you leave the UK with more than Β£ 1,000 you risk getting the third degree (as has happened to me on more than one occasion) as to where the cash came from, proof of its provenance etc!

K1ngston
    Participant

[postquote quote=1230748]

When they know you are arriving Martyn I am sure they all celebrate hard and book their own holidays…… K Martyn is here, K Martyn is here, I remember the cry vividly πŸ™‚

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls