Demise of SAA & Air Namibia- scope for a new mini- hub – in Lusaka??

Back to Forum
Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)

• sparkyflier
    Participant

For those following flights to and from and in and around Africa, some news in late last night – which QR had mooted a few weeks ago, but the news is Qatar Airways will start DOH-LUN-HRE-LUN-DOH flights using 787 – in August.

https://www.qatarairways.com/en/press-releases/2021/June/LunHreENG.html?activeTag=Press-releases

Correct me if I missed it – but no word of how many flights per week. Maybe I did miss it as it was late when I read it.

This will hit EK and ET the most I think.

1 user thanked author for this post.

sparkyflier
    Participant

Airline Startup Of The Week: Zambia Airlines

Seems it is starting after all with 3 domestic routes and 2 regional ones, using Q400 and 738.

cwoodward
    Participant

Not a start-up as such. In one form or another they have been around since 1964. I flew on them once a DC 10 as I recall.
    Ethiopian’s money I suspect ?

2 users thanked author for this post.

sparkyflier
    Participant

It is a brand new airline but using a brand that died in the early 90s. And the money is 45% Ethiopian and the planes will be leased/borrowed from them.

SimonS1
    Participant

Interesting. Maybe with Ethiopian’s money it may have more longevity.

alainboy56
    Participant

@cwoodward

It was, if my ancient memory serves me well called Zambia Airways, I even have a T-shirt, maybe also a baseball cap somewhere of the old set-up.
    I had a South African girlfriend in Joburg on the station staff and she used to send me things via ‘the cockpit’ on the DC-10 flight to LHR. (I’m not sure even if the flight didn’t originate in JNB)
    I used to go to the old ‘airline office’ on the 1st floor of T3 at LHR above the old arrivals area to collect my ‘goodies’.

3 users thanked author for this post.

sparkyflier
    Participant

https://www.zambia-airways.com/zm-en

Hi folks. As an update on the discussion I started a few months ago, Zambia Airways mark II is now up and flying! It started I think in December using Dash on domestic routes (Ndola, Livingstone, so far with I think Mfuwe and Solwezi planned) and regional routes to Harare and Joburg coming soon, using 738.

Actually quite like the livery and is very much based on the Zambian flag. I wish them well and hope they flourish.

4 users thanked author for this post.

sparkyflier
    Participant

I appreciate the headline of this discussion may be dated with SAA seemingly coming back, but for those who travel around the Southern Africa region it seems the new Zambia Airways is very gradually scaling up.

I understand they have now received a 737-700 (I guess purchased or leased from ET) which will be used to go to Joburg 5 x weekly.

They also now ply Harare using their Q400 also used on domestic routes.

I believe the next route may be LUN-Livingston-JNB and vv using Q400, and once these are up and running they are looking at Nairobi/Mombasa, Addis (I guess simply codesharing with ET) and Kinshasa.

Meanwhile I read ProFlight is starting a route to Cape Town from Lusaka.

My in pression is that Zambia Airways Mark II is operating and expanding very cautiously indeed and not trying to expand too quickly or run as a vanity project.

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls