Demise of SAA & Air Namibia- scope for a new mini- hub – in Lusaka??

Back to Forum
Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)

• sparkyflier
    Participant

For those following flights to and from and in and around Africa, some news in late last night – which QR had mooted a few weeks ago, but the news is Qatar Airways will start DOH-LUN-HRE-LUN-DOH flights using 787 – in August.

https://www.qatarairways.com/en/press-releases/2021/June/LunHreENG.html?activeTag=Press-releases

Correct me if I missed it – but no word of how many flights per week. Maybe I did miss it as it was late when I read it.

This will hit EK and ET the most I think.

1 user thanked author for this post.

sparkyflier
    Participant

Airline Startup Of The Week: Zambia Airlines

Seems it is starting after all with 3 domestic routes and 2 regional ones, using Q400 and 738.

cwoodward
    Participant

Not a start-up as such. In one form or another they have been around since 1964. I flew on them once a DC 10 as I recall.
    Ethiopian’s money I suspect ?

2 users thanked author for this post.

sparkyflier
    Participant

It is a brand new airline but using a brand that died in the early 90s. And the money is 45% Ethiopian and the planes will be leased/borrowed from them.

SimonS1
    Participant

Interesting. Maybe with Ethiopian’s money it may have more longevity.

alainboy56
    Participant

@cwoodward

It was, if my ancient memory serves me well called Zambia Airways, I even have a T-shirt, maybe also a baseball cap somewhere of the old set-up.
    I had a South African girlfriend in Joburg on the station staff and she used to send me things via ‘the cockpit’ on the DC-10 flight to LHR. (I’m not sure even if the flight didn’t originate in JNB)
    I used to go to the old ‘airline office’ on the 1st floor of T3 at LHR above the old arrivals area to collect my ‘goodies’.

2 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller September / October 2021 cover
Business Traveller September / October 2021 cover
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls