Delta to ply LHR-SEA

Back to Forum
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

• Anonymous

flying_cookie
    Participant

Reading the news that DL is restarting a direct link LHR-SEA (Northwest offered the service at some point in the last 5 years). Finally some competition on a route where BA dominates and charges handsomely. I am curious – has DL bought a new slot pair? Got it from partly-owned Virgin? Any idea?

GrahamSmith

Read our story here:

http://www.businesstraveller.com/news/delta-to-launch-daily-seattle-to-lhr-service

I have emailed Delta for more information regarding the 15-minute LHR turnaround.

LeTigre
    Participant

With 10 departures a day from heathrow thanks to this new service, Delta obviously have a few planes to choose from on the outbound. However, it shall certainly be interesting to see if the flight timings change after the metal neutrality with virgin starts.

RE the slots, aren’t these the ones purchased from alitalia early this year?

I also read rumours on another site of a nonstop Salt Lake City flight, but obviously that’s not starting anytime soon.

bacrew1
    Participant

I think you’ll find it won’t be a 15 min turnaround at LHR. It’ll probably be one of the JFK-LHR (or another DL LHR route) that will fly back to Seattle…. and the inbound DL flight from SEA will fly onto somewhere else on the DL network.

pdtraveller
    Participant

Excellent news. BA have for too long taken advantage of the absence of competition on the route.

dutchyankee
    Participant

Many years ago I used to be a big fan of Delta, and it seems they are making a number of good changes lately, so I might have to try them again. If what LeTigre says regarding the rumor comes true, with a nonstop to SLC, I think that would be brilliant as the DL hub there is one of the best, user friendly hubs in the USA, with a number of connection possibilities to great summer and especially winter destinations. If I recall correctly, Western Airlines (bought by Delta years ago) did serve this route at one point or perhaps it was out of Denver. Anyway, it would be a welcome new nonstop destination, one DL would likely have no competitionon on as fortress SLC is truly DL country!

flydrive
    Participant

This is interesting news. As someone who flies often to Seattle, I welcome the competition. Although I recall that when Northwest flew the route, it was probably the emptiest flight I was ever on, even though I thought it was positioned well as an evening departure out of LHR, enabling me to work that day before flying out and still landing mid-evening in SEA. Given that BA is adding a 777 service three days a week in addition to their 747, the midday slot may not distinguish Delta, but I will certainly be trying this out. The Economy Comfort option is also a good choice: extra legroom for a minimal add-on (even less for Flying Blue elite members). Compares favourably to BA’s WTP which costs a minimum of 50% over economy. And Seattle based ex-Northwest crew are generally a good lot (in comparison to other US carriers, at least).

sparkyflier
    Participant

Delta provide a very competitive offering in all classes, especially on their 767-400s and I would be very tempted with a DL option versus all the others.

Their J product is super, and in Y they do not charge for beer/wine etc, and of course you have the 2-3-2 seating on the 767s..

I am not sure however if their 767-300s have PTV throughout economy as well?

A Salt Lake City service would be very attractive to many, especially as a hub for and to the wider region.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls